John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
From what I gather from breezing over this patent, his product is proposed to be made of as many small conductors as possible.
Is he right? I have been wrong before.
That's absolutely correct. He's patented the idea of using many thin wire strands, individually insulated and twisted or woven together.

Unfortunately his "invention" was already invented. It's commonly known as "Litz wire".

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
One of the wonders of modern science is that it is quite good at predicting the results of experiments which have not yet been performed. That relieves us from the burden of having to try everything that anyone suggests. Only at the forefront of knowledge (which despite all claims to the contrary, does not include audio electronics) is the outcome of an experiment likely to be partially unknown.

I have never tried running my petrol-engined car on diesel fuel. Should I try it, just in case it works OK? Or by refusing to do so am I being 'closed-minded'?

I am surprised that nobody gave you a 'good answer'; or was it that you did not accept the 'good answer' because it did not suit your preconceptions? There are two reasons which when taken together are the 'good answer' you seek for why competently-made audio cables all function the same:
1. low frequencies mean that the quasi-static (i.e. circuit theory) approximation may be used unless the cable is very long.
2. in this approximation a cable is just a lumped network which is a potential divider with a small series impedance and a high shunt impedance - provided that they are sufficiently small/large respectively then the cable cannot make a difference.
There is an assumption in this: that the cable does not also provide an alternate path for ground currents - if it does then the issue is ground current control, not cable quality. 'Competently-made' includes screen/shield integrity, where difficulties can add noise which may be misinterpreted as "detail".

From the Heaviside links provided earlier...

Attachments

• phen2.jpg
    phen2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 229
TNT said:
From the Heaviside links provided earlier...
This old chestnut gets dragged up from time to time. Try feeding your speakers
a) with just the uninsulated wire (ensuring that no shorts develop),
b) with just the wire insulation but no conductor.
Which one makes louder music? Hence, which one supplies the energy for the voice coil?

One could regard this as an example of the Poynting myth.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This old chestnut gets dragged up from time to time. Try feeding your speakers
a) with just the uninsulated wire (ensuring that no shorts develop),
b) with just the wire insulation but no conductor.
Which one makes louder music? Hence, which one supplies the energy for the voice coil?

One could regard this as an example of the Poynting myth.

My interpretation was that when a wire conducts something, it depends on the dielectric surrounding to do so - be that surrounding air or som other material. My conclusion was that the surrounding (isolation) has impact. It means that also your case b) is dependent on an surrounding dielectric to conduct (anything) even if it is a poor conductor as you imply.

He's not modding this thread and your assumptions and smilies are just digging your hole deeper. :magnify:

I'm sorry I did not realize I asked for your opinion.
Are you talking about post#46639? Perhaps a course on the subtleties of the English language are in order.:Present:

Sorry to the OP for sidetracking, I would imagine the OP has had quite a time dealing with all this niceness.

I now understand how these threads get so long with little to no progress. (assuming there was a goal).

I mean really, "sound quality vs measurements", it's sooo obvious you will not reach a consensus with this crowd.
Must be another non-sequitur.

Cheers.

TNT said:
My interpretation was that when a wire conducts something, it depends on the dielectric surrounding to do so - be that surrounding air or som other material.
A wire conducts a current because the electric field in it applies a force to the free electrons. All the surrounding insulator does is define the boundary of the wire. This assumes the quasi-static model, which is appropriate for virtually all audio situations except trunk telephone lines. The dielectric surrounding the wire begins to play a part as frequency rises. Even then, most of the insulator around a wire is normally air (which behaves almost the same as a vacuum) as the dielectric is usually thin. The dielectric causes a small reduction in propagation speed.

I'm sorry I did not realize I asked for your opinion.
Are you talking about post#46639? Perhaps a course on the subtleties of the English language are in order.:Present:

Sorry to the OP for sidetracking, I would imagine the OP has had quite a time dealing with all this niceness.

I now understand how these threads get so long with little to no progress. (assuming there was a goal).

I mean really, "sound quality vs measurements", it's sooo obvious you will not reach a consensus with this crowd.
Must be another non-sequitur.

Cheers.

Now you're just being silly, even if I agree that some of that which you write applies to this thread. The blue face is the name of another thread: not this thread.

JC restated his objective for this, his, thread in the last day or two. But of course some insist on diverting from that intention as your quoted post demonstrates; but, of course, you are not alone in doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.