John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't trust MY eyes with my own designs. I just judge other people's designs, and I let other people judge my own designs.
Knowing what I am listening to does not seem to be out of place. That is how I listen at home.
'Peeking', 'lying', and similar terms are not very 'scientific' either, but are 'charged words' used to put down someone with a different point of view

Last edited:
With over 46,000 posts on this the second thread, one would imagine that continuing the debate regarding uncontrolled subjective testing versus strictly controlled testing is a futile pursuit. Those who do so are totally wasting their time.....

That being so, why not attempt to keep this topic somewhere near pre-amp design and implementation?

john curl said:
You don't have to bring in Quantum Mechanics to make a reasonably successful audio playback system, but it does help, if you are open minded enough to try to use it.
Mental picture of famous audio designer using not just Ohm and Kirchoff, but also solving Schrodingers equation for the energy levels of a signal caught in a potential well created by negative feedback.

For the moment, I think that it would be better to avoid that 'controversy' here, but do note that mere linear equations does not REALITY MAKE, either.
Nobody said it did. By the way, Schrodingers equation is linear!

To reiterate: There are 3 major areas to address when making an audio design: topology, layout, and parts quality. Each is essentially as important as the others.
I would have thought circuit theory and component value calculations ought to get at least a minor look-in, or is everything in the 'high-end' Select On Test? Perhaps we could call that Shakespeare design (cf. monkeys and typewriters).

Brianco, it isn't JUST ABOUT preamp design. The same principles to get design excellence are in power amps, etc as well.
My 'take' on this comes from having to 'defend' the extreme efforts that Bob Crump and I did to make the CTC Blowtorch 'successful' initially on this thread.

Last edited:
With over 46,000 posts on this the second thread, one would imagine that continuing the debate regarding uncontrolled subjective testing versus strictly controlled testing is a futile pursuit. Those who do so are totally wasting their time.....

That being so, why not attempt to keep this topic somewhere near pre-amp design and implementation?

They want to chat only..

My own experience is that the more you delve into some of the less obvious areas, the more it becomes apparent that a lot of the standard audio thinking is quite blissfully unaware or unconcerned with some of the negative aspects of what's happening inside and outside these boxes, that undermines much of the good work - somewhat like to getting a 20 year bomb of a vehicle, engineering the most magnificent engine one can conceive to fit - and then wondering why the driving experience isn't paradise on earth ...

Of course, you have to experience differences in audio components to actually make it all worthwhile. If you insist on double blind tests only, you will probably not get far, because you will not have any subjective feedback to guide you.

"Experience" as in lying to yourself by using uncontrolled subjective processes?
Yes I can see where using double blind tests to actually find out if there really is an improvement/difference/whatever would put a crimp in the high end audio sales.;) Subjective feedback? Oh you mean just guessing then.

My own experience is that the more you delve into some of the less obvious areas, the more it becomes apparent that a lot of the standard audio thinking is quite blissfully unaware or unconcerned with some of the negative aspects of what's happening inside and outside these boxes, that undermines much of the good work - somewhat like to getting a 20 year bomb of a vehicle, engineering the most magnificent engine one can conceive to fit - and then wondering why the driving experience isn't paradise on earth ...

My own experience is that some people will believe anything if it's about high end audio components and wanting to learn some real honest down to earth reasons as to how they work and why snake oil is a waste of time isn't on their list at all.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.