John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I don't see how tapping a wire or moving a single wire around like a jump rope would change the sound? What is supposed to be the phenomena that would change the signal, these are not tubes we are tapping on. Somehow these types of claims just make me wonder what basic electrical change is supposed to happen if a wire between an amplifier and a speaker is vibrating or moving?

Movement between materials could cause static buildup in the right circumstances, if the cable happening to be vibrating in sympathy with air movement or cabinet vibration I don't see this as being totally benign ...

The idea is to see if the cable has a natural frequency of vibration, anywhere along its length, for any reason; make sure all these are thoroughly damped - it can't hurt ... :)

Which diy site did that insisting? Perhaps we can get their members to come here, where all technical POVs are allowed.

After some coaching from Jan Didden, I managed to learn how to do SMD, despite my poor vision and hand skills (the right tools are vital!). It's all part of progress, learning, and not getting stuck in 1968. I still wouldn't want to try a fine pitch 128 lead package, but opamps, FETs, resistors, et al, are not at all difficult.

With the right tools, stereo microscope, slimmed down scalpel blade, flux syringe, de-solder braid, this old dog could remove a 358? 368? pin 0.5mm pitch FPGA 3 times off the same prototype board before some of the tracks started lifting...

Explain .... :confused:

i can give you measured data or i can also report my subjective findings. Before i went for heavy gauge round and it did not work , this works much better .

No need to be confused, it's the subjective and "much" that bother me. Say take a 3 meter pair of 1/2" schedule M copper pipe and the same flattened, pretty easy in a decent shop, and compare in any flavor of DBT you like. The RLC of each are easy to compute from a text book, hint the R is the same but G might change. Then let's revisit the "much better" or so obvious you would have to be deaf, or even the wife in the kitchen...

BTW the 1-2 Ohm speaker is a tough special problem. You are stuck with a limited set of devices that give current in respnse to a voltage and the relatinship between the two is not linear. For mids and highs only a special trafo (autoformer?) could get back some leverage. My battery suggestoni was more for the brute force approach of massive class A output stages. Just think of the WAF of a bank of submarine batteries. You could put them in the back yard and use some of jn's 535kcmil cable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.