John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be able to tell if a recording is good on a decent system.

Ssome great quality recordings (holographic, good strings, great frequency extension: Diana Krall Live in Paris, Yo-Yo Ma Songs of Joy and Peace (but there is a hint of vocal sibilance in the 2nd track!). I've also got some SACD's by Pratum Integrum, I Russian Baroque music ensemble that are recorded by a Dutch outfit using very high quality mics and purpose built microphone amplifiers - fabulous sound staging and dynamics.

Worst album : Accellerate - REM - compressed and lifeless. Really a wall of noise to my ears. I actually threw the CD into the bin - no kidding. What the hell else can you do with something like that?

I put some reviews up (link below). I value a good soundstage BTW - to my ears its the difference between a really good listening experiance and a mediocre one. Unfortunately, the recording plays a huge role in this, and unless done right, this is easily lost. I dont think its the difference between tubes and SS - the spatial magic can be produced equally well by either if its on the source recording.

Record Reviews

So you are not using more than one reference when doing evaluations .....

I think Naim swings to both extremes in SQ, depending upon who's fiddling with it: the sound at the Sydney Audio show was quite appalling, yet a friend of mine locally uses recent Naim for integrated and speakers - at times this has produced magical sound, that gets very, very close to what I'm chasing ...

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Interesting mix, bonsai - had a quick look to check for telling overlaps, and one stands out: Matt Bianco by Matt Bianco. This was a favourite at the time, we used to listen to it regularly - a very intense, driving sound, a perfect recording for evaluating power supply stability; its downside is that any weakness in playback is amplified enormously, it becomes impossible to listen to ...

Sure - I dont think my system has any problems dealing with it - I just find Matt Bianco it so banal! I saw thim at the Blue Note in Tokyo a few years ago - not to bad live I have to admit.

Another good recording for exercising bass is Donald Fagens 'Morph the Cat' - it can really slam into your gut at high volumes.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was listening to this one doing my DAC development last Xmas season. A year on and I have a tad more transparency. Normally Ms Krall's is a reference for a totally non-sibilant voice, but here its just not as clear as normal. I hear that 'DSD softness' on this disc through my current DAC and wonder if that has something to do with it?

It seems to only be on that track - and its only in one or two places. It seems to me to be that particular recording. It does not detract from what is a very spacey recording though - the whole album is very good in that regard IMV

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
So you are not using more than one reference when doing evaluations .....

No need - I know 3 D when I hear it!

I do swap my amps around regularly and my CD player. I have floor standers and some small book shelf speakers from a local Taiwan company that image beautifully - especially nice for classical, but they could do with a sub.

It does not detract from what is a very spacey recording though - the whole album is very good in that regard IMV

If you're a lover of acoustic space (as am I) then I've not heard any better than Decca. The 'La Traviata' disc I mentioned earlier is amazing for this, but then so are a whole host of Decca disks in the two 50CD boxed sets I have. The La Trav I have is 1963 vintage, Sir John Pritchard conducting.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you're a lover of acoustic space (as am I) then I've not heard any better than Decca. The 'La Traviata' disc I mentioned earlier is amazing for this, but then so are a whole host of Decca disks in the two 50CD boxed sets I have. The La Trav I have is 1963 vintage, Sir John Pritchard conducting.

Yes, some of those old recordings were beautifully done. I have one sampler CD with a Beethoven piece recorded in IIRC 1962 that is absolutely holographic - despite the tape hiss!

Thanks for the trav tip. Where did you get that btw?

IMO you guys who are unsatisfied with the sound of your home hifi system must have some serious flaw in your audio chain, anywhere. My strong suggestion is to make an exhaustive measurement of unwanted signals and of EMI content in the various parts of your audio chain. Minimize it and your level of satisfaction and resulting sound quality will be definitely much better ;).

Of course, some recordings will be 'manifestly superior' to others', but with a recording that has some potential, even if it is an old vinyl record, a really good hi fi playback system MAY bring out much more than you would normally expect.
A modest, compromised system will always sound just like that.
Some playback systems will exaggerate the problems that could be avoided with better approaches.
This is where audio designers still strive for optimum performance.

JC said:
Some playback systems will exaggerate the problems that could be avoided with better approaches.

I find a slight 1-2dB down tilt in frequency shelf at 2kHz and higher does a good job at making most recordings tolerable and musical, except a few with lots of compression and other flaws. It also seems to make most recordings sound smoother and more musical.

One should be aiming for more than "tolerable" ... I've never done anything to reduce the treble, IMO this is always the wrong approach, because it will reduce the subjective 'power' of the recording. I will say that the modern day compression and overdone processing is the worst of all "evils", this shines the strongest possible spotlight on any system weakness - what happens when the system is 99% good is that these recordings become intensely aggressive, they stomp all over the listening space like the Hulk. Only getting that last 1% in place allows the tracks to be "enjoyed", ;) ...

However, my motto has been "There's no such thing as a bad recording" for quite some time, and it's served me well - because it always forces me to confront issues in the playback system, it gives me no room to hide or excuses for not doing more. In fact, it's always rewarded me ... in the end ... :)

One should be aiming for more than "tolerable" ... I've never done anything to reduce the treble, IMO this is always the wrong approach, because it will reduce the subjective 'power' of the recording.

Nothing wrong with attenuating the high frequencies. Room acoustics etc. all play a role, and speaker designers do it all the time. Magnepan, Linkwitz, and others do it to take into account how our head affects the sound from a stereo source, I think. Can't remember the details.

Also a tone control is a nice thing to have access to, so you can make changes depending on the recording. We don't all have to be a complete slave to what the recording engineer or record company put out.

Just a matter of what gets you closer to the musical performance, in my opinion.

However, my motto has been "There's no such thing as a bad recording" for quite some time, and it's served me well - because it always forces me to confront issues in the playback system, it gives me no room to hide or excuses for not doing more. In fact, it's always rewarded me ... in the end ... :)

But there are bad recordings as you've mentioned. Don't follow your logic here, unless you're saying bad recordings can help in diagnosing system quality? As was mentioned in previous posts.

But there are bad recordings as you've mentioned. Don't follow your logic here, unless you're saying bad recordings can help in diagnosing system quality? As was mentioned in previous posts.
Remember, it's a motto, and, yes, a tool. Of course some recordings are poor in absolute quality compared to others, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse to accept subjective quality which is unpleasant, which gives you no pleasure or satisfaction to the listening. My aim is make the playback of every recording a worthwhile experience - so, yes, in measurement terms the recording is poor, but when listening to it, this is a wholly satisfying and enjoyable thing to do.

"Poor" recordings are an excellent diagnostic tool, and when they've done their job of isolating a deficiency, which hopefully one can fully rectify, then they become just another recording to enjoy in the normal way - so you move on to the next, even "poorer" recording ... :). The big plus of the technique is that if you now go back to the really "good" recordings, that these are now even bigger, cleaner, and richer than ever ...

Last edited:
Just opposite, we use dsp to equalize speaker treble roll off. The result is more lively and natural then.

Interesting, isn't it, how treble existence is not really critical for music, but when it does exist in a not so good form, it will ruin the sound.

For me, amplifiers should have very good ultra high frequency performance (you define the ultra high yourself). Same with tweeters, must be smooth to 40kHz :D

Status
Not open for further replies.