John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,
I have to agree that until you have heard a very good sound system often you just don't have a reference for what can be. I'll stay out of the no nfb vs with argument, I don't have a reference for a non nfb amp to compare it to.

On the point of a great musician or singer I have to agree with Sy that it is obvious when you hear someone who is exceptional, even on a sub standard playback system. I'm all with Sy on the possibility that you can tell the sound of a great acoustical guitar vs a cheap version on a good system.

What I will say about most new pop music singers, especially the women is that they mostly scream, I have a real hard time listening to the current crop of singers, it isn't about how loud you can screech, I would rather hear someone just sing. Barbara Streisand can sing but has that habit of overdoing it also, not much different than someone pushing it to the limits. I know Whitney Houston could sing but most of the time she also did that, I don't want someone screaming at me, just let it flow naturally is what I want. I'll stick to Joni Mitchell for a good female voice to listen to a system, she just sings and does it well.

There's Streisand then Theres everyone else ...... !

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, a very sweet, lush, rich texture develops - this is certainly captured on recordings, forms a "luscious" backdrop to the other sounds - obviously, an indicator of good sound happening ...

This is one area where THD recording quality is paramount. I have many where the sound is as you describe. And others where, for whatever reason, the recording is bad and the violins have a horrible screech to them. Then there the ones, on a stereo recording, where the violins are in mono . . . And they screech.

Fortunately, I find that ongoing tweaking and fine tuning does bring those "bad" ones around - this is why I don't need normal testing gear to tell me where I'm at, those types of "difficult" recordings are doing all the measuring I need, :). This is when the more subtle aspects of interference, mains power cleansing, concerns with physically stabilising of electrical parts become all important - bit by bit the screechiness, etc, is brought under control, most importantly from the subjective POV.

Can be a long-winded and frustrating effort to get the last gremlin isolated, but I've found it's always possible to do ...

This is one area where THD recording quality is paramount. I have many where the sound is as you describe. And others where, for whatever reason, the recording is bad and the violins have a horrible screech to them. Then there the ones, on a stereo recording, where the violins are in mono . . . And they screech.

What are you using for a reference when comparing recordings, i usually like to go between two different cans to seem if the recording is really at fault ...

Interesting choice - yes, the string tone would sound good on a ghetto blaster, but I got increasingly irritated by the sound of the right hand striking the soundboard, as accompaniment. Played as raw YouTube feed, and with the low bit rate audio resolution, that sound on my m/c was not 'right', had an annoying edge to it - this is where the extra steps have to be taken to improve playback, or more easily done, get a better resolution version ...
Then here's another approach .
If you accept ' sampling ' et al (auraly not politicly)
MIDI transcends so many barriers ! ... :
http://home.comcast.net/~mnjmiller/orient.mid

Credit where it is due :

7 < Wang Jiang>
0x20 0x4E 0x61 0x6E 0x20 0x20 0x20 0x43 0x6F 0x70 0x79 < Nan Copy>
0x72 0x69 0x67 0x68 0x74 0x20 0x20 0x28 0x43 0x29 0x20 <right (C) >
0x20 0x20 0x42 0x79 0x20 0x20 0x53 0x70 0x6F 0x6F 0x6E < By Spoon>
0x20 0x53 0x74 0x75 0x64 0x69 0x6F 0x20 0x20 0x20 0x20 < Studio >
0x20 0x20 0x20 0x41 0x75 0x74 0x68 0x6F 0x72 0x20 0x3A < Author :>
0x20 0x57 0x68 0x69 0x74 0x65 0x20 0x53 0x70 0x6F 0x6F < White Spoo>
0x6E <n>

...that the reproduction can be intensely loud without discomfort.

High SPLs yes without triggering the brain's defense mechanism' against 'loudness' which you referred to earlier. But not only loud, also long. Seems not uncommon with listeners to headphone systems that they can't listen for more than X hours without getting a headache. That's a sign that something's amiss with the electronics - too much noise is being amplified confusing the brain's ability to make sense of the material. Result - listening fatigue.

@Dan - vocals are indeed a stringent test. I was listening to a wonderful Decca recording of 'La Traviata' only last week and picked up a grounding error in my prototype DAC from the sibilance introduced on voices. Operatic voices are particularly revealing of this it seems - hadn't noticed it on regular choral singing.

Last edited:
I'm one of those for whom headphones do not work, as a subjectively satisfying experience. Have tried several times, with top notch units, and I last about 5 minutes at the most. Yes, I'm familar with the concept of the Realizer, but I doubt very much that would be enough - there's just something about the closed away from other sound sense about it which I find disturbing.

What you said about 'not sounding different from other sounds' Frank I think explains the dire state of systems at shows. If the sound doesn't sound like other sounds around, that draws attention to the system, which after all is what they wanna sell. So systems that sound like an open window get no attention and wouldn't fare well at shows.

Makes sense, :) ... the best sound at the last show had one other person listening apart from me and the chap demo'ing, and there wasn't a crush at the door of people trying to get in - one of the worst sounds was with the dealer of Naim gear - classic, in your face, hifi sound, and that room was jam packed ... ;)

I'm one of those for whom headphones do not work, as a subjectively satisfying experience. Have tried several times, with top notch units, and I last about 5 minutes at the most. Yes, I'm familar with the concept of the Realizer, but I doubt very much that would be enough - there's just something about the closed away from other sound sense about it which I find disturbing.

Not for listening pleasure , for use as a tool, recording details and balance , invaluable when working with unfamiliar recordings .....

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
What are you using for a reference when comparing recordings, i usually like to go between two different cans to seem if the recording is really at fault ...

You should be able to tell if a recording is good on a decent system.

Ssome great quality recordings (holographic, good strings, great frequency extension: Diana Krall Live in Paris, Yo-Yo Ma Songs of Joy and Peace (but there is a hint of vocal sibilance in the 2nd track!). I've also got some SACD's by Pratum Integrum, I Russian Baroque music ensemble that are recorded by a Dutch outfit using very high quality mics and purpose built microphone amplifiers - fabulous sound staging and dynamics.

Worst album : Accellerate - REM - compressed and lifeless. Really a wall of noise to my ears. I actually threw the CD into the bin - no kidding. What the hell else can you do with something like that?

I put some reviews up (link below). I value a good soundstage BTW - to my ears its the difference between a really good listening experiance and a mediocre one. Unfortunately, the recording plays a huge role in this, and unless done right, this is easily lost. I dont think its the difference between tubes and SS - the spatial magic can be produced equally well by either if its on the source recording.

Record Reviews

... Yo-Yo Ma Songs of Joy and Peace (but there is a hint of vocal sibilance in the 2nd track!).

I was listening to this one doing my DAC development last Xmas season. A year on and I have a tad more transparency. Normally Ms Krall's is a reference for a totally non-sibilant voice, but here its just not as clear as normal. I hear that 'DSD softness' on this disc through my current DAC and wonder if that has something to do with it?

Interesting mix, bonsai - had a quick look to check for telling overlaps, and one stands out: Matt Bianco by Matt Bianco. This was a favourite at the time, we used to listen to it regularly - a very intense, driving sound, a perfect recording for evaluating power supply stability; its downside is that any weakness in playback is amplified enormously, it becomes impossible to listen to ...

I used to hang out with Julian Vereker of Naim while in London and in Berkeley. He tried for the best high fidelity possible. OF COURSE, when you design speakers, as well as electronics, you are going to have a specific sound from that source. I told Julian in 1976, that I agreed with him that he did great 'door bells' but the rest needed some work.

Status
Not open for further replies.