John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I love about that analysis is that it does a fingers sign at those who froth at the mouth about below 100Hz capabilities being essential for making 'proper' reproduction work - the real bass stuff, below 100Hz, is a very minor player in the overall sound - so a miserable 3" full range speaker, that does everything above 100Hz excellently, will be remarkably realistic ...

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mooly’s music file is a three consecutive key strokes, one blending into the other.
A frequency spectrum of the whole file does not provide any clear information.

When studying the sound of music instruments, the element of time is very important. Visualizing the different build-up and decay rates of the various partials, helps in understanding the meaning of timbre.

George

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 218
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here is what happens during the last 2.7s of the third key stroke

George

>Edit: the vertical scale (amplitude) is linear and auto-normalizes to the strongest partial of the tone

Attachments

• 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 2c.JPG
    2c.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We perceive sound intensity in a logarithmic fashion, so I show the same plots with a logarithmic vertical axis (amplitude) .
I enclose also an FFT screenshot of the same musical part.

George

Attachments

• 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 1 Spectrum.JPG
    1 Spectrum.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 35
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 36
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We just need to know what key was hit, I might go play with our Steinway.

Mooly said it is the bottom D.
Waterfall plots show it is the D2 key (nominal 73.416Hz).
I can hear it as such too.
The pianist hits the key hard. This excites the higher odd harmonics of the operated string a lot (the other strings are resonating as well)

He may also perform a double key strike (D2 and D3)
George

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So I opened the window (no screen) on the field/woods side of the house and sat about 8 feet back, and fired a .308, from inside the house.

Holy mother of god that's loud.

Teh interwebs sez:

Rifles ........................... 156-167 dB Peak.

Ouch.

:D when I read this sentence, it stopped me - I thought to myself -- INDOORS! that's going to be a really loud bang! Are you crAAAzy! 'Cause its loud outside too with your ears just arms length away. Good thing it wasn't a .223 (AR15/M16) with its 2 foot wide flame at the muzzle exit tapering to a point three feet in front of the barrel end (at night this is spectacular). Man its loud... every infantry person is deaf. In the movies they shoot indoors all the time and often several at once going off. often next to another persons head/ear.

JBL and 100K worth system does a audio/video demo using gun shots for the realism factor and to wow the spectator with the realism their best pro compression drivers can impart....used old black and white film of a western movie shooting percussion pistol sounds originally recorded on film strip of the era. pretty sad. What were/are they thinking? No one's heard a real weapon fired?

Oh xcuse me....

-RNM

Last edited:
Quite some years ago the local cinema had a full makeover of its audio speakers by the passionate local hifi guru, had the full DTS thing done, and while still spanking new they showed "Saving Private Ryan". The big intro, the gun shots were right on the money; the raw, visceral, crack, cutting through your skull impact of the real thing was there, in the theatre for the ten minutes or so - I was mentally exhausted by the end of it ... :)

What I love about that analysis is that it does a fingers sign at those who froth at the mouth about below 100Hz capabilities being essential for making 'proper' reproduction work - the real bass stuff, below 100Hz, is a very minor player in the overall sound - so a miserable 3" full range speaker, that does everything above 100Hz excellently, will be remarkably realistic ...

Lol, hilarious stuff frank .....:rolleyes: You need gigantum speakers to come anywhere near the realism of a grand piano ..

Last edited:
Master a.wayne, I think we've been here before, a few times, in fact ... ;)

One only needs 'ginormous' speakers to get certain types of bass drivers and configurations to function in the lower octaves correctly - otherwise a miniscule enclosure will be sufficient, provided it is relatively inert, and locked solidly to a relatively heavy structure - and, the driver(s) mounted on it are capable of the volumes, and they're being driven by clean electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.