John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Joshua, yes, it is almost impossible to find 'good equipment' in audio. By that definition, I mean, completely EMI proof, so that external line filtering would not be helpful. Everything that I own or make has benefited from power line filtering. However, the worst example that I have found is my STAX vacuum tube headphone amp. Go figure!

I would rephrase "almost impossible" to "completely impossible" for products that are possible to buy...

Both my practical evaluations and simulations have clearly indicated that physical and practical limits prevents the creation of a perfect product.

Both my practical evaluations and simulations have clearly indicated that physical and practical limits prevents the creation of a perfect product.

Those who stand in the middle lane of the expressway shouting at the top of their lungs that something is impossible are usually run over (mid yell) by the tractor trailer of progress.

Define perfect.

To me, it meets all requirements. No more, no less.

jn

Indeed, though probably low level distortion isn't the only thing that in itself ensures high degree of realism in music reproduction.
Over the couple of decades that I've been looking at things from this angle it's been a rock solid metric of where a system is at, it's never failed me. It's completely automatic for me these days to be able to tune into this aspect of reproduction - the bling factor is a big fat zero for me ...

A good example, after a very long break from the audio 'dance', was listening to the best MBL gear you could buy, easily 1/2 mill or more of kit. It started well, very clean, believable sound, then the first hint of a distortion artifact, and it slowly got worse - there was some gremlin inside the expensive boxes of bits building up a clearly audible, disturbing distortion component ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.