John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
More worrisome in in loudspeakers is the much better known vibration induced noise in capacitors.

My loudspeakers put out a bit more than yours! It is not that they create voltage it is that they modulate value. The simple test is to apply a small current to a test capacitor inside the enclosure and look at the voltage. I did curves and will post if I find them.

I am surprised you were unaware of vibration issues in film capacitors. I thought it would be obvious as the yield strength of aluminum and most dielectric plastics is pretty apparent.

In a loudspeaker there are powerful magnetic fields.
The capacitors spoken of here have aluminum inside.
I would expect it is the magnetic fields and not the acoustic SPL that are the real cause because aluminum are paramagnetic.

You should source a copper based capacitor (identical value to the aluminum) and perform your measurements again and compare.
Alternatively: You can use two powerful neodym magnets and put the aluminum capacitor in its own un-modulated magnet field inside your speaker and then measure - this way you will also see if it is the acoustic SPL or magnetic modulations that cause the problem.

I use copper or silver mica capacitors if possible due to the issues aluminum will give even without powerful magnetic fields.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
By George you've got it. At 30 cm you have almost a millisecond difference between EMI and pressure wave.

Now I got it (better than never).
Scott and you were meaning to use microphone and EM sniffer both at a distance from the capacitor.
That’s OK then. Time difference is in the ms range.

In such a case, the excitation circuit I posted is probably not a good choice, as it will generate a lot of unwanted signals, acoustic and EM (but one can get rid of the triggering transformer and replace the xenon tube with a temporary shorting contact).

The circuit shown requires a transformer that would be difficult to get until you realize the complete circuit is available in any disposable camera.
See here for a three-part video description (it is almost the same circuit)

Camera Flash Circuit and Nixie Tube Tutorial (Part 1/3) - YouTube
Camera Flash Circuit and Nixie Tube Tutorial (Part 2/3) - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RziYdY1ovsM

(If you can still find one.)
Flash circuits in digital cameras use no transformers anymore. There are plenty of such dirty cheap cameras around for experimentation.

So when someone corrects you for ending a sentence
Ed and all, I appreciate when you are correcting my english (m F’rs ! :D )

George

Attachments

• DSCN1503.JPG
    DSCN1503.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member

If I may, SY means that for the magnetic field strengths a speaker unit can generate, either paramagnetic or diamagnetic materials have their relative permeability so close to zero, that they can be treated as “non magnetic”

At magnetic field strengths that jneutron is working with and with superconductors, these differences may matter.

George

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Note also that magnetic fields from drivers are DC.

I don’t have access to a calibrated AC-DC gauss meter anymore.
I have probed with a coil probe close to an unshielded driver and I can see on the scope the result of AC magnetic field variations when music signal feeds the speaker coil but I can not provide field strength numbers.
I have to build a Helmholz coil for to calibrate the sensing coil & meter circuit.

George

JN, I am surprised you were unaware of vibration issues in film capacitors. I thought it would be obvious as the yield strength of aluminum and most dielectric plastics is pretty apparent.
First, the yield strength of aluminum has no meaning in this physical example. The jellyroll construction technique has very thin aluminum foil wrapped in a cylinder. The deflection of the aluminum will be dependent on the thickness of the underlying structure as well as the modulus of the plastic.

Second, you are confusing low signal level high spl vibration induced changes with an application which has relatively high voltages and very low impedances. It is certainly not scientific to assume that because an effect exists, it happens everywhere to any significant level. You may as well include the aluminum grain boundaries and quantum fluctuations if your intent is creative writing.

I note that you still resist any attempt at elimination or control of the confounding physics effects which severely compromise your test. Why?

At some point, one must ask if this is parody.
I vote parody..

If I may, SY means that for the magnetic field strengths a speaker unit can generate, either paramagnetic or diamagnetic materials have their relative permeability so close to zero, that they can be treated as “non magnetic”
I assume you meant relative permeability so close to 1? Or did you mean absolute permeability so close to 4 Pi 10e-7 henries/meter?

Yes, you may. :D Note also that magnetic fields from drivers are DC.

The external magnetic field of a driver is the summation of the leaked dc field and the leaked AC field. This is a very simple thing to see, just attach a small coil to a scope probe in and wave it about the back of a magnetic structure while it is being exercised.

Remember, all solid conductive materials like a typical magnetic circuit of a speaker, will attempt to exclude the time varying flux to some degree. The effective parasitics of the magnetic circuit will go up with frequency.

Perhaps parodymagnetic then?

Excellent!!!

jn

Last edited:
SY said:
At some point, one must ask if this is parody.
You need to remember that truth is stranger than fiction.

Or trolling for effect.
As I suggested (elsewhere? I forget which thread) this could simply be learning words but not their meanings. Something which non-scientists never seem to do is estimate the likely magnitude of their proposed effect. When someone else does a back-of-envelope calculation for them to demonstrate that the effect is (usually) vanishingly small they then interpret this as 'proof' of the sensitivity of human hearing.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
DF96 wrote "Something which non-scientists never seem to do is estimate the likely magnitude of their proposed effect."

Reminds me of the guy who proposed to send helium balloons aloft over the Antarctic with a contraption attached that would generate ozone. Someone (a scientist) shot the whole thing down when he explained that to fill the ozone hole required c. 40 million tons of the stuff.

I would say both, plus the transmitted vibrations to the tinny plastics to which the circuit is in contact with.

George

To clarify, a spark generates an acoustic event my intent was to use the capactor under test as a "microphone" several meters away and the electrical and acoustic events are several milli-seconds apart easily windowed for analysis. The functional form of the acoustic event is well known and deconvolving it with the output is easy.

A grill starter (with the button placed well behind the gap) works fine. Available at Home Depot with nice long leads. I made the gap with a couple of pieces of #32 wire about 5mm apart.

I have published the results elsewhere using this with a Nakamichi CP3 microphone (from back in the days when the little response chart actually was THAT unit) excellent conformance to .5dB or so and very repeatable if you know what you are doing. The only question is aging of the electret, it was 40yr. old but the absolute resposivity was still almost exactly on.

Last edited:
DF96 wrote "Something which non-scientists never seem to do is estimate the likely magnitude of their proposed effect."

Reminds me of the guy who proposed to send helium balloons aloft over the Antarctic with a contraption attached that would generate ozone. Someone (a scientist) shot the whole thing down when he explained that to fill the ozone hole required c. 40 million tons of the stuff.
There does appear to be a very good analogy here does it not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.