John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
without dealing with any quantum effects in conventional electronics we are now receiving signals from Voyager 1's 18w transmitter

Yes Howard but this is not Hi-End Audio. Small details are not noticeable there :spin:

I have to admit to quite a bit of skepticism,

For the T/X-R/X antennas, the low noise front ends, the Electra Radio, the signal tracking techniques, DSP and the rest of the giant science-technological collaborative achievements, there is a series of books
Amazon.com: Deep-Space Communications and Navigation Series: Books

George

ED, I can finally say like JC I did that 30 years ago. This carbon comp resistor was really bad, excess noise up the wazoo, but distortion did not even register, go figure.

Attachments

• poop.jpg
    poop.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 279
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For weird, try remembering

Ha, weeks ago, into the paper piles, I found some photocopies with transistor data. A guy at the library of Delft electronics department had zeroxed them for me after some long conversation over Hafler preamp complementary circuitry. I was looking for BC equivalents.
That should be 28-30 years ago (date is into one of the Interail booklets), around Eastern Fest, the Zerox machine was definitely not black and the carpet was either gray or light brown. :D
The day was Friday. :devily: I remember this, as the discussion continued at his apartment turning naturally to boozing.
FR B110 into ~75lt aperiodic loading, pre and main diy Naim and the black Neal 103 cassette deck made a good sound into his small student-attic. :note:

What i couldn't buy, Xerox at the university library,

George

Last edited:
For weird, try remembering to have made a Xerox of the pages, the day, the place, and how the Xerox machine looked like, even the color of the carpet.

(poop is grand)

Thank you, you gents flatter me. Nothing like the facilities manager saying we are going to give you new carpet and a paint job and by the way you must remove everything including the contents of all your drawers.

Well, there are several things that I can thank you for. One, was the AD624, that you, Walt, and I used for analog differential subtraction to test for deviations in capacitors.
Another was your extensive notes on RF bypassing that I used in designing an RF Amplifier. That was around 30 years ago.
Relatively recently, it is the AD825 that you gave me workable samples of, that I have designed in several products.
I say thanks again for you input on these and many other topics.

Scott, I forgot to add that you gave me a schematic/method of modifying my Quan-Tech op amp noise tester to test excess noise in resistors, as well. Thanks again.
In my experience, a small percentage of perfectly good looking and quality label resistors can also have very high 'excess noise'. I obtained some examples from Audible Illusions a while back, and they are amazingly bad, yet you cannot tell from just the label, or physical condition. I didn't bother to measure distortion.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Ha, weeks ago, into the paper piles, I found some photocopies with transistor data. A guy at the library of Delft electronics department had zeroxed them for me after some long conversation over Hafler preamp complementary circuitry. I was looking for BC equivalents.
That should be 28-30 years ago (date is into one of the Interail booklets), around Eastern Fest, the Zerox machine was definitely not black and the carpet was either gray or light brown. :D
The day was Friday. :devily: I remember this, as the discussion continued at his apartment turning naturally to boozing.
FR B110 into ~75lt aperiodic loading, pre and main diy Naim and the black Neal 103 cassette deck made a good sound into his small student-attic. :note:

George

Whew! It must be the tenor of the times, perhaps anticipation of a great change, this outpouring and dredging up of memories. It's been affecting me to the point of concern. Now I can relax a little and, as Arnold says in Kindergarten Cop, realize that "it's not a too-more".

ED, I can finally say like JC I did that 30 years ago. This carbon comp resistor was really bad, excess noise up the wazoo, but distortion did not even register, go figure.

Well let us see, Wheatstone did not invent the bridge circuit that bears his name. The circuit you showed looks like it has a typo inside the IC package.

Sam Groner would chide you for the lack of CMMR.

But as close as that circuit gets, there is a difference between the goals in it and what mine were. You used three 1% metal film resistors as the reference. In mine there are 10 "Identical" or at least similar resistors. By using reciprocity and a large sample of resistors it becomes self improving. That is a point so many miss.

Now the triangle wave was popular when used with an oscilloscope before FFT analysis became so easy. But I think we went over how easy it is to get a good clean sine wave orders of magnitude better than what you can do with a triangle wave generator.

So yes you were 29 years ahead of the issue, I just can't give you all of it! :)

ES

Nothing like the facilities manager saying we are going to give you new carpet and a paint job and by the way you must remove everything including the contents of all your drawers.

That sums up the story of the Delft-u electronics faculty library.

In the '80s, it carried just about every important audio/electronics magazine and more, with a separate room for reading, had an ambience somewhat similar to a British gentleman's club. (merely lacked the butler and brandy)
The magazines were placed on rotating display shelves, with lockers behind them, holding up to 12 months of editions.
Earlier editions were placed in boxes, a full year in each box, in the cellar storage of the building, and could be requested up again by filling in a card.
(a fraudster as moi even arranged for a postal faculty room number in the library smoking room, to obtain full-edition databooks and corporate catalogues. All's fair in love and war)

Last time I visited, somewhere in the early '90s, the faculty had merged with computer engineering, due to a dramatically decline of electronics student numbers.
Library was moved to a different level, where it had to share the floor with the faculty mensa.
50 percent downsized in floor area, no more gentleman's lounge, no more mags, not even in storage, but fresh paint and new carpet.

Folks nowadays are accustomed to having it served on a freebee pdf platter, but saying thank you to those who took the trouble of writing articles for paper magazines three decades ago is an easy noblesse oblige, even if one often had to go to great length to obtain a Xeroxed copy.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
perhaps anticipation of a great change, this outpouring and dredging up of memories.

Brad
It's Alzhie nocking on my door. Great changes ahead, that’s true :D
Can’t stop the clock (exemplar performance. Who could ever dare to think that a pure Wagnerian style symbolism of Heimarmene was to be attained in an opera of Verdi)

That sums up the story of the Delft-u electronics faculty library.

In sympathy with Jacco, I felt deeply sad when the decision was taken to give off a good amount of mags and rare old books, in a move to conserve space in a technical library here that I visit since I was in the High scool ÉÄÑÕÌÁ ÅÕÃÅÍÉÄÏÕ / General Information

George

OK Scott, can you get me a WW article from 1975-76 by someone from Quad about the nature of their amp design? I would appreciate it, because I would have to go to the UCB Engineering Library, look it up, then copy it. Thanks in advance.

Is that the one with a block diagram of "current dumping"? I have it somewhere in my "files" :rolleyes:

I can't find mine.

After searching a lot of dead links, this one is the whole Peter Walker article.

Last edited:
In my experience, a small percentage of perfectly good looking and quality label resistors can also have very high 'excess noise'. I obtained some examples from Audible Illusions a while back, and they are amazingly bad, yet you cannot tell from just the label, or physical condition. I didn't bother to measure distortion.
Would that be because of less than optimum termination of the leads to the main body of the resistor in manufacturing?

Anyone care to comment?

AD624 Alternatives...

The AD624 in its version/performance variants is getting to be very old, and seriously expensive.
Is there a modern replacement with performance good enough/better than the AD624 to perform the bridge mode component testing as described in the 'Electronic Design' article posted above, or is the AD624 still top dog ?.

Dan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.