John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am immune from such things since recently having a BQP inserted into a spare body cavity I have developed super powers and run round Blackburn on a night with my underpants on the outside of my trousers, saving audiophiles in distress...:eek:
I also scoff at Bentlys, second rate cars compared to my shining example of automotive perfection the SHitroen C3.

I am immune from such things since recently having a BQP inserted into a spare body cavity I have developed super powers and run round Blackburn on a night with my underpants on the outside of my trousers, saving audiophiles in distress...:eek:
I also scoff at Bentlys, second rate cars compared to my shining example of automotive perfection the SHitroen C3.
But what music plays in the back round as you save the audiophile yacky yacky sax ?

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
As bcarso has said, we *really* need some numbers.

Much thanks,
Chris
I did see a Philips/NXP DAC that specified a maximum voltage burden at the current output pins. I will try to find the P/N.

The problem with a passive termination is signal-to-noise. One of the eyebrow-raising designs I saw had a ten ohm resistor followed by tube amplification. Of course the proponent said it sounded great.

I admit to 'baiting' you guys with my true experience with the Bybee devices. I could have avoided it, but what the heck.
The 'military' part' of the LARGER Bybee purifier is only the ceramic form with end caps that is coated with 'some' composite of materials. Everything else is added by Jack Bybee, in order to complete it for audiophile use.
What SY 'looked at' and never examined internally was a completely different product that was released later, and works in a completely different way. I have tried to talk about that, as well, but to no avail.
In truth, Jack and I rarely talk about his 'purifiers' today.
There are actually many newer 'tweaks' that are exciting people today in the audio realm. Perhaps we should talk about those! '-)

The problem with a passive termination is signal-to-noise. One of the eyebrow-raising designs I saw had a ten ohm resistor followed by tube amplification. Of course the proponent said it sounded great.

About ten years ago some folks were talking about 100 Ohms followed by a 12AX7. That's obviously a Second Law violation - if things were that easy, they'd already be done that way.

Correct my thinking here: Rationalized to a 1mA MSB, 1 Volt recovered from it and 20 bit depth, 1 LSB is (rounded to) 1nA and 1uV recovered. The load resistance must be (says me?) small enough that 1 MSB developes reasonably less than 1 LSB's recovery voltage, or 1uV. So maximum load R is 1uV/1mA, or .001 Ohm by this standard. "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Fortunately modern DAC's are much less than 20 bits.

Much thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Bentley drivers get shot in my neighborhood -http://sfist.com/2012/03/06/man-killed-driving-bentley-oakland.php so Jack should be careful where he goes.

Bentley's mainly appeal to two groups around here, "baller" drug dealers or poseurs and their housewives. You can tell which by the chrome wheels and amount of illegal window tint. Of course, they buy it for the badge and don't realize it's mostly a VW parts bin car.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
About ten years ago some folks were talking about 100 Ohms followed by a 12AX7. That's obviously a Second Law violation - if things were that easy, they'd already be done that way.

Correct my thinking here: Rationalized to a 1mA MSB, 1 Volt recovered from it and 20 bit depth, 1 LSB is (rounded to) 1nA and 1uV recovered. The load resistance must be (says me?) small enough that 1 MSB developes reasonably less than 1 LSB's recovery voltage, or 1uV. So maximum load R is 1uV/1mA, or .001 Ohm by this standard. "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Fortunately modern DAC's are much less than 20 bits.

Much thanks,
Chris
I suspect the actual dependencies of output impedance on code are reasonably small --- we just don't know what they are. The threshold for having no deleterious effects from voltage burden are probably a good deal higher than a milliohm for high-res converters, even ones with rather high output current swings.

Voltage feedback opamps are "easier" to apply because they are extensively characterized for stability, and support capacitive-resistive feedback (see the AD datasheet for the details using the AD797). But current-feedback ones can be extremely sensitive to capacitance at the low-Z inverting input, and are usually only characterized for purely resistive feedback---indeed, trying to make a conventional inverting integrator is expressly forbidden :). And you can't reach inside them to adjust compensation.

When I proposed a amplifier wrapped around EUVL's clever floating-power-supply current conveyor, which has a reasonably low input impedance to begin with, made lower if needed by more and larger JFETs, I noted that in really high performance versions using cascoded BF862s these too became fairly sensitive to capacitive loading. But the input impedance can be quite low in even the very simple version I showed, looking like a small resistance in series with a small inductance. The equivalent input voltage noise becomes that of the amplifier wrapped around, the original conveyor noise drops out for the most part, and for the simple version is square root 2 times e sub n of the individual JFETs. In another thread I show an approach to cut this back down to only about e sub n and preserve offset voltage tracking with temperature.

We are also helped here, as far as offset voltage is concerned, by the fact that these low-threshold JFETs have a pretty small tempco. I haven't looked at it for the 862, but lots of experience with the 2SK170 indicates that BL parts are pretty close to zero dId/dT at Idss.

Yes, we noticed you like to talk about him, as well as liking to illustrate that you have no idea what the mechanisms really are, even if we can suspend disbelief long enough to consider them. so there is never going to be any other end result, especially in this crowd, other than you seeming more and more deluded, or somehow entranced.

God knows why you feel the need to publicly align yourself constantly with such utter nonsense and it undermines your own credibility doing so. Belief does not change physical reality.That you feel that you yourself personally have to defend this guy, even to the point of making thinly veiled (sometimes direct) and ridiculous threats on his behalf is beyond strange.

so troll, part of the fraud, or…? that you feel the need to restart the conversation regularly in this and other threads is truly confusing. Believe what you like, but why constantly dredge the conversation up for further 'discussion' when it cannot go any further than the last time?

In the meantime Quantum mechanics continues to prove itself a valid theory (A lot of which is beyond me… and you …). We can buy a device for almost nothing on the greater scheme of things, leverage these powers to improve our audio, that uses military tech that subverts it?

Last edited:
To be honest with you qusp, I only speak what I know to be accurate, at least in my world view. I have no interest in wasting your time or anyone else's, but I will reply when a colleague is attacked here.
Threats? Actually, one guy, I know for sure, was given a written legal warning by Jack Bybee's attorney, some years ago. Things changed very quickly on that website. I saw it for myself.
Jack Bybee doesn't really much care if you don't believe him, or in his products. He has an international customer base, and he works on a number of projects that are not 'quantum' in nature.
What I don't care for is for people judging him without truly investigating his products or his veracity. SY had his chance to meet Jack, years ago, but he declined.
So it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.