John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I went and found the original post of Nelsons where he says,...

I can't quite follow the last bit for the non inverting configuration.
Ditto, looks like a typo.

Godfrey suggested this yesterday,...
Funny, I thought I got that idea from Nelson, but I can't find the source now.:confused:

Maybe I just extrapolated from the inverting version, which he showed here in the "7 Easy Pieces" thread.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Ditto, looks like a typo.

Funny, I thought I got that idea from Nelson, but I can't find the source now.:confused:

Maybe I just extrapolated from the inverting version, which he showed here in the "7 Easy Pieces" thread.

Well, wherever you got your idea from I think it should work :)

Next question then... if this is an idea worth pursuing for using opamps and extracting the best subective performance, what sort of values might you put on R1 and R2 as a ballpark starting value ?

Attachments

• Noise Gain.JPG
    Noise Gain.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 201
As I posted before, it is a completely stupid idea to place a resistor between inverting and non-inverting inputs, exactly because you throw away feedback=error correction. The major effect is that distortion will increase!

Manufacturers recommend this setup to increase distortion in order to push distortion above the measuring limits of commercially available gear.

Only wacko audiophiles would consider this an advantage. If you want distortion in the first place, I suggest you start out with the worst possible opamp you can find.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pavel
I would like to ask you if you find the following example correct, that is to say, to conform if I understood you well.

I do a wave recording of a preamplifier output with my sound card, 48KHz sampling.
I set the 0db as 1Vrms.
The recording I get with no signal on pre input is the one on the upper part of your attachment:
This noise signal has Vmax:0.348Vp+, Vmin:-0.340Vp-, Vpp=0.688V, Vrms=0.243Vrms.
Is it ok to say that this recording has a S/N ratio of –12.29dbV [ SNR db=20LOG (Asignal/Anoise) ] ?

Now, doing an FFT (65536 points) over this recording, I get a result as on the lower part of your attachment. This shows a "noise bottom" of almost –58db. Subtracting the 45db which is the difference between "noise bottom" and "integrated noise over 24000 Hz" as you say, we get to a figure of –13db. This is the "noise over the 24KHz band" and is very close to the S/N figure I wrote above.

George

Last edited:
A bit odd that, even at a thread with engineering appeal, all talk is about the 'best' opamp.
After 22 years of OPA627/637, an OPA827 at half retail cost looks a step up (despite that I get BP's, that somewhere somehow fell out off the truck, for €5/pc).

More comprehensible would be to list the minimum requirements of an opamp for various applications.

(Mr Morin : beauty of living here is that everything on TV is broadcasted in the original language version. Subtitles, no Voice-over. Result is that some cope with English and German at highschool level by age 12, French/Spanish/Italian at age 16, including a range of dialects & slang, e.g. some Gaelic/Welsh. Just think, an average American gloats 35 hours of TV a week, almost twice as much as the average here. US citizens could be the polyglots of the world, instead of scoring a high grade on the functional illiteracy list. Y'all have a spanking good time, Ya hear ! :clown: )

Last edited:
Pavel
I would like to ask you if you
Now, doing an FFT (65536 points) over this recording, I get a result as on the lower part of your attachment. This shows a "noise bottom" of almost –58db. Subtracting the 45db which is the difference between "noise bottom" and "integrated noise over 24000 Hz" as you say, we get to a figure of –13db. This is the "noise over the 24KHz band" and is very close to the S/N figure I wrote above.

George

George, I always run a calibration with white noise well above the floor since the noise BW per bin depends also on the windowing function. 604K = 100nV/rt-Hz.

yes, but we are not discussing the many and varied permutations of soundstage and musical transparency resulting from swapping one opamp for another. obviously, there are preferred technical reasons for using one opamp or another, thats just good engineering, nobody ever said that all opamps of all types sound/function the same in every situation, or did they?

that would be pretty dopey

LME49990 is a bit of a bargain at less than $3

A bit odd that, even at a thread with engineering appeal, all talk is about the 'best' opamp.
After 22 years of OPA627/637, an OPA827 at half retail cost looks a step up (despite that I get BP's, that somewhere somehow fell out off the truck, for €5/pc).

More comprehensible would be to list the minimum requirements of an opamp for various applications.

A note on IC op amps:
It is almost impossible to effectively recommend a specific op amp, unless you know the conditions that it is being used.
For example:
Is the drive Z low, medium, or high?
Is the output load resistance low, medium or high?
What is the output swing that is necessary, and what are the available power supply voltages?
Is this application for battery operation?
I know it sounds simple, but nobody here DEFINED the problem, before entering their choices, AND your choices are all over the map. '-)

A note on IC op amps:
It is almost impossible to effectively recommend a specific op amp, unless you know the conditions that it is being used.
For example:
Is the drive Z low, medium, or high?
Is the output load resistance low, medium or high?
What is the output swing that is necessary, and what are the available power supply voltages?
Is this application for battery operation?
I know it sounds simple, but nobody here DEFINED the problem, before entering their choices, AND your choices are all over the map. '-)

A moment of major agreement. And here you have tweak audio at its best, no-one bothering to define the problem or the target, but full of opinions anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.