John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
3 months ago, I met a man in Bangkok who has a phd in medical engineering (electronics). he said he could hear the difference between some fuses but only in powr amps. Yes, there is no big money in working for others for a salary. But selling fuses to audiophiles just doesnt seem... quit... right somehow. Its sort of like selling switches or connectors or cable or knobs or capacitors.

BTW - do you know how many soda straws are sold in the world each day... straight ones, colored ones and bendable ones? Hey. Somebodys got to do it... and are $rich$ doing it.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
qusp,
Thanks again for that specific reference to Ott. I will look at the free information first and just keep on learning more as I go. Everyone else who is chiming in thank you also. Perhaps we will hear from John on what he does in his discrete circuits to handle these situations?

Qusp,
Still waiting on your final design so I can finish your Solidworks design for the cnc guy.

BTW - do you know how many soda straws are sold in the world each day... straight ones, colored ones and bendable ones? Hey. Somebodys got to do it... and are $rich$ doing it.

I met the guy who invented and started a company to make those little plastic tripod disk deals that are placed in the center of a pizza before it's put into a box for delivery. Lived in Ventura, right on the beach. He made hundreds of millions from that simple idea.

Yes, there are folks selling special knobs (for hundreds of dollars) which are claimed to "sound better." And they have lots of marks who are happy to provide anecdotes and endorsements. So although you were being a little facetious, the scammers are always there, no matter what.

I really need to learn to leave rational science behind, I have missed a gold mine in selling fuses for $70+ Synergistic Research Quantum Fuse Large FB
One day, we will have to list all those magic devices.

This said, if any need of a fuse in the rail paths, some pieces of Constantan make perfect fuses for audio (non temperature dependent).
I wonder if any honest manufacturer had the good idea to provide this kind of audio fuses reasonably priced , calibrated and in a standard form.

Wow, Richard. We went through this fuse thing, years ago. I forgot all about 'audiophile fuses' but they do exist and they are a convenient 'tweak' since they usually don't need soldering. Are they really different? Yes they are, usually using pure silver, sometimes with gold. Yes, they are expensive.
The CTC Blowtorch, (remember it?) used a soldered-in fuse that we found was better than the usual cartridge fuse. This was mostly because it was soldered in and the fuse 'clips' or holder (usually nickel plated copper internally) are unnecessary. These fuses look like resistors, and come in both 'slow-blow' (our preference) or 'fast blow' varieties.
Are these better or worse than the audiophile fuse? I don't know, never made the comparison.

Thanks for the source info ......
Thx-RNMarsh
You are most welcome...

Google It.jpg

Sincerely,
Dan

Wow, Richard. We went through this fuse thing, years ago. I forgot all about 'audiophile fuses' but they do exist and they are a convenient 'tweak' since they usually don't need soldering. Are they really different? Yes they are, usually using pure silver, sometimes with gold. Yes, they are expensive.
John, you are boring.
Gold, silver diamond, quantum bul..s.t ! This can be verified and measured.
Gold and silver present the same inconvenient than any other metal: they varie their impedance with temperature, so can (?) introduce distortion with temperature changes due to power consumption varying with signal levels.
We where talking about Constantan or Manganin because those two alloys doesn't change their conductivity with temp. This is real, this can be verified and measured.
Did-you, one day, will stop with your audiophiles blind magic claims ? Did you will not miss any of the 'idiophile' traps ?
Each time we find something ridiculous, fraudulent, or obscurantist, you are part of it !
And, most of the time, silver and gold, and of course, expensive and useless.

It don't deserve your credibility.

Last edited:
WOW! Insulted again! '-)
Here I go out of my way to be objective, fair, and give experience, and still I am attacked.
I did learn something this week that I consider important.
I think that I mentioned that I found a new rock station that sounded great with my old Sony Walkman and headphones. Unfortunately, I found that on my big system, my computer system, or even my car radio, it was pretty darn marginal. I still love the music, but hi fi is not what these stations are broadcasting (most of the rock stations), and it actually sounds better without any highs or even high fidelity playback.
No wonder, Esperado, you show a distaste for really hi fi reproduction. I bet that your horn midrange limits the highs as well. What about it?

No wonder, Esperado, you show a distaste for really hi fi reproduction. I bet that your horn midrange limits the highs as well. What about it?
My system is fine, thank-you. and i would not exchange-it for your Wilson monsters for an empire.
Considering your age, and what i suppose your ear's ability to listen to treble, let-me smile. And if i mistake about this, please, offer your body to the science !

And about hi-fi and engineering,, you are just like those people which advice people with a cancer to stop the chemotherapy and cure themselves with plants. It is simply unworthy.

For you technically inclined: Most people realize that almost all fuses are non-linear. The distortion producing behavior of fuses is secondary to the strict requirements they most conform to, so I suspect that most typical fuses are made of some sort of alloy that may even be more nonlinear that a what simple metal would be, because this would make fuses more 'ideal' for typical operation.
What do we know about fuses over long term experience? Well, many amps or loudspeakers used to have a fuse, in order to offer protection for the speaker, but sometimes, even the amp. This added nonlinearity to the audio signal, BUT it is difficult to easily measure the magnitude of the nonlinearity, because as the fuse material averages its resistance fairly well, unless you are testing with music or speech, the continuous tone will settle to an average and not show much. We have known this for over 40 years. We also found that, IF we could use a Slow Blow fuse, we would have more overall linearity in this application.
Today we rarely use speaker fuses, but we still use fuses in the power supply rails and ALWAYS in front of a transformer (unless the transformer is internally fused).
Our experience with this is that IF we can replace fuses with circuit breakers, either thermal or magnetic, we get better overall performance. My best amp designs use circuit breakers, but where we can't, we have recommended premium fuses to serious audiophiles for use in the JC-1 power amp, with some success.

For you technically inclined: Most people realize that almost all fuses are non-linear. The distortion producing behavior of fuses is secondary to the strict requirements they most conform to, so I suspect that most typical fuses are made of some sort of alloy that may even be more nonlinear that a what simple metal would be, because this would make fuses more 'ideal' for typical operation.
What do we know about fuses over long term experience? Well, many amps or loudspeakers used to have a fuse, in order to offer protection for the speaker, but sometimes, even the amp. This added nonlinearity to the audio signal, BUT it is difficult to easily measure the magnitude of the nonlinearity, because as the fuse material averages its resistance fairly well, unless you are testing with music or speech, the continuous tone will settle to an average and not show much. We have known this for over 40 years. We also found that, IF we could use a Slow Blow fuse, we would have more overall linearity in this application.

Then quit making excuses and test with music.

Audio DiffMaker

se

Let's also up up the differences between the speaker system that I use today, and the one that Esperado uses today. Both can be very good.
I use 'essentially' a 3 way direct radiator (WATT with sub-woofer) with a very well constructed loudspeaker cabinet, better than 99% of them out there.
Esperado is using a midrange horn, with a direct radiator woofer (I presume). Now, does he add a tweeter, or not? This is an important question, because all the midrange horns that I know of, sharply roll off within the upper band of the audio bandwidth.

For you technically inclined: Most people realize that almost all fuses are non-linear. .

Yes but not their selling point...

"Synergistic Research Quantum Fuses employ a custom alloy treated with 2,000,000 volts of electricity! SR Quantum Fuses significantly outperform all other high-end fuses on the market and are guaranteed to deliver a noticeable increase in sound staging, resolution and air thanks to a lower noise floor and blacker backgrounds."

How do you treat an alloy to 2M volts?

Status
Not open for further replies.