John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, anybody can be fooled by so called 'objective' set-ups.
I once saw a bar bet demonstration, where people, with their eyes closed, could not tell the difference between cola, 7up, and ginger ale. You too, would lose the bet, if you were there. Yet, I have faith that there is a significant taste difference between cola, 7up, and ginger ale, and I still retain my faith in this difference. Same with sound differences.

On another subject, I do have a lot of books on my bookshelf. Not as many as some here, but then, I lost a complete collection of textbooks about 20 years ago in a firestorm. Have I read every book, cover to cover? No, it would be almost impossible, because they are technical, and some are beyond my educational level. However, I find them useful, BECAUSE I can look up what is known about some subject, by reading through a group of related books, and perhaps learn more that I knew before. Is this an 'old fashioned' way to gather information? Yes, and the internet is becoming easier for the simple stuff. However, how many of you out there, would forgo a college education in science, for wiki? Do you think that it has all the answers that you can possibly use?
I have noticed, that beyond the 'banter' here of what is correct and what is not correct, it is almost impossible to get follow-up on even a working schematic that I put up. Overwhelming is it? That is why we need to go to college in order to learn engineering principles, and we deeply learn the language of engineering and mathematics.
Without it, you can be bright, but not 'catching on' all the time. It would be useful to have more understanding of an engineering design, before criticizing it.
Now, I suffer from a limitation in 'atomic physics' in my level of understanding.
I never really was interested in 'atomic physics' and I steered clear of it, as best that I could, in my undergraduate years. Even after years of engineering experience, I found that I did not need a strong foundation in 'atomic physics' to design circuits, and I feel the same way, today. However, about 15 years ago, I decided to attempt to more deeply understand how electricity flows in a wire. Sort of the simplest of concepts.
I latched on a 'mind boggling' book at the time, on the physics of materials that gave me an opening to a completely unknown world of subtlety at the atomic level that might, just might be useful to know. Unfortunately, I don't have the prerequisites to easily tackle a graduate level book on atomic physics efficiently, and many of my advanced texts just get looked through, usually for 'answers' to a particular phenomenon. It is not the best approach, but it sure beats 'living in ignorance' of the more subtle physics, that just MAY make a difference in audio quality.

I once saw a bar bet demonstration, where people, with their eyes closed, could not tell the difference between cola, 7up, and ginger ale. You too, would lose the bet, if you were there. Yet, I have faith that there is a significant taste difference between cola, 7up, and ginger ale, and I still retain my faith in this difference.

Is this the same test you've mis-characterized a few dozen other times, and were corrected to no apparent effect?

For those using a hard drive storage system a question. How many of you use the internal drive in a normal desktop or laptop computer for storage and who is using a dedicated music system? What are your experiences with these internal systems on a desktop and the noisy environment that they live in. I would think that the noise levels in a computer are magnitudes higher than what some complain about with our dedicated audio systems. How do we correlate this information and look at the problems that a typical computer electronics environment must have with smps, RF production and sound cards running on this dirty power supply?

However, about 15 years ago, I decided to attempt to more deeply understand how electricity flows in a wire. Sort of the simplest of concepts.
I latched on a 'mind boggling' book at the time, on the physics of materials that gave me an opening to a completely unknown world of subtlety at the atomic level that might, just might be useful to know.

Even at the "ordinary" engineering level of electronics and acoustics, all we ever deal with are our models. We're wedded to our models because they're all we have, and we defend them often beyond the truly rational. I often see those most adamant about their own rationality defending their own models most passionately. That's just the way we're made.

Thanks,
Chris

Let us not 'rationalize' for our limitations. It is true that many here cling to the concepts that they learned in school, and will not be easily moved. I can put up an 'engineering app' like I did recently from 'Solomon' and get almost complete bafflement or deliberate avoidance. Why? It might be hard to learn something new and different. Certainly, the principles in the app. are known and used by virtually any analog analog designer. If a question came up, then a known resource like Scott Wurcer, a known and respected IC designer could be asked to verify the concept under consideration, for example, like thermal feedback on an IC chip, and he could give his opinion. Perhaps things have moved forward, over time, and thermal feedback can be 'ignored'. It still is a viable concept, however. Let's move forward, rather than stand still.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, anybody can be fooled by so called 'objective' set-ups.
I once saw a bar bet demonstration, where people, with their eyes closed, could not tell the difference between cola, 7up, and ginger ale. You too, would lose the bet, if you were there. Yet, I have faith that there is a significant taste difference between cola, 7up, and ginger ale, and I still retain my faith in this difference. Same with sound differences.

If your faith is strong enough, they have a vacancy for that currently down in Italy ;)

jan

John,
Having a library of books at your disposal is never a bad thing. Understanding everything in every book you own would be a lifetime job in itself. But at the same time knowing how to find information is very important to most of us. The reference to Wiki is the only thing I would look out for, this is not acceptable information in any college class. Why you may say is because the information is not vetted, it is not tested for accuracy and could really give you mis-information, and would cost you at least a grade for sighting it in a college paper! Knowledge is power, and expanding our base of knowledge is never a bad thing. Many of us here are following this thread for the knowledge hidden between the lines and sometimes given freely. Your years of acquired knowledge and insights are what many are looking for, but some of the personal beliefs we may give you some gruff for those. We have all developed some preconceived notions of how things work over our lifetimes, these are the beliefs that we often have to overcome.

Kindhornman, there are many SMPS's that are not dirty, this may be of interest regarding PC's as well...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/218853-best-motherboard-audio-6.html
Post #53
Any digital source is going to have some noise created by the switching of the logic and the demands that places on any power supply, a PC with a linear supply will have a similar noise patern as one with an SMPS, how bad this noise is depends on the paticular PC and how well the motherboard has been layed out, how good the PSU is, etc etc, you get what you pay for to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.