John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
CD's with scratches, deep grooves only a lath could remove, dirt, dust, buffing and polishing and fungus . Geeez. Reminds me of a girl who showed me her CD she wanted me to hear and it looked really bad... i asked her if she used it to play frizzbee with her dog. How on earth does any self respecting audiophile do these things to their music sources?! My small collection of CD's - about one thousand +... never have any of these signs of neglect and debasing. Signed -- WTF?

Richard,
The damage to the disk I was talking about came about due to a read head on a computer DVD drive running into the disk and cutting its own nice little tracks, very symmetrical indentations around the disk! But it is funny how you will see so many people putting disks down on their faces, label side up when they take disks out of the CDP and not putting them back in their jewel case.... At least they could learn to put them label side down......

Steven

fungus ....How on earth does any self respecting audiophile do these things to their music sources?...these signs of neglect and debasing.
I hope you'll have never in your life to suffer some unexpected accident, like fire, flood, move, burglary, divorce etc.
A lot of careful photographs which have their precious lenses attacked by fungi would not like to read this comment. :)
My CDs where carefully packed in a nailed wooden box, stored in the basement of a friend for a year because I had to.

I thought it was helpfull to report how some of them can be sensible to humidity. It seem fungus love some metallic coating. The ones with a painted screen on all their surface survived with no harm, had only few of them destroyed.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Ok, You get a pass, Christophe. 'Cause like most people, we dont get a pass on the mishaps in life..... Lisa and I are together on our 11th long term/marriage relationship. S**t happens... a lot for some people. But scratches and all the rest? No breaks for them. baddies. I'm taking away thier audiophile licenses. The really guilty ones should just go out tomorrow morning and hang themselves. No needs for confessions... we'll know who you are when we dont hear from you anymore on the forum.

:)

Last edited:
Though I wonder how polycarbonate would do as a record. Think it'd be a bit too brittle.

More than a bit.

Scratched CDs are no longer a problem for me (I rip them, then put them away semipermanently), but for the rare occasion when I do need a repair, I use a polish called Meguiars Clear Coat Polish. If the damage is deep, I whip up a little index-matching fluid.

:
Chris, I'm talking about transitions that happen WITHIN a digital circuits, buffers included. It's all analog.
This chestnut keeps coming up, nope its digital, the term digital electronics gives you a clue.
John, somthing we agree on, Ralph Morrison, his book the "The fields of electronics" is a good introdution to how signals travel.:)

Why bother with CD players rhese days, better to rip to a noisey switch mode powered computer, then we can argue endlessly about digital (not realy digital, its analogue!:( though:confused:) signal transmission, usb cables, the sound of CAT5 vs CAT6, how most digital circuits are layed out wrong cos they have used digital engineering (its realy analogue) and multiple ground planes, and best of all removing the on board crystal and replacing it with a zero jitter super osc, connected by a wire of unknown impedance and at least 6" long, then remove all the MLCC SMD decoulers and replace with audiophile grade through hole caps, the longer leads help cos its all analogue and digital dosen't exist....:whacko:
Sorry I am just fed up of hearing digital is analogue, so we can attribute analoge problems to digital signal transmission.

Last night I saw a French detective film that had a 'wine taster' as an amateur detective.
I don't normally engage in 'wine tasting', but the procedure looked pretty authentic, and the big thing was that it reminded me of serious 'music listening' where with the best associated equipment, we evaluate either the musical source or a piece of audio equipment in the chain of reproduction.
The results of the 'wine tasting' were spectacular too! As good as the best 'Golden Ears', and while many here would probably not believe it possible, this 'detective' could denote the winery and year from a tasting, and with a little more expert help, a blind second opinion. Seemed authentic to me.
Of course, I have known 'Golden Ears' who approach this level, and whom I have come to rely on, over the years, for their competence in listening to audio differences. For me, that is 'reality' not the 'deafness' of double-blind testing.

At least they could learn to put them label side down...

Why label side down ? Under the label is the aluminium layer, a scratch on the
label side most likely hits this layer too, and that cannot be repaired by polishing.

"Schutzlack" in the picture is protective lacquer.

Attachments

• im_fokus.gif
    im_fokus.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
john curl said:
I learn audio sensory science from my own experience.
I thought one of the basics of all sensory science, including audio, is that senses (and hence experience) are not to be fully trusted. They can easily be fooled. Therefore personal experience is about the worst possible way of learning in this area. It almost guarantees misconception and failure.

One of the main things which enables science and civilisation to develop is literacy. This frees us from the need to personally experience everything we wish to learn about. Why go back to the days of ignorance?

Status
Not open for further replies.