John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the Gordini had about 8 HP (as I recall) more power, I had a standard Dauphine, which I treated with the utmost care, changing the oil every 1000 mi, myself with Valvoline, greasing it myself, etc. I was trying to see, that IF I took care of this new car with the UTMOST of care and service, drove it carefully, warmed it up always, etc., whether it would last 'indefinitely'. NO, IT DIDN'T. A lesson learned as a future engineer. You MUST have a product that is well enough made in the first place, with quality materials, etc, if you want extra ordinary longevity in the motor and everything else in the auto. SY, you should try it too, sometime.

NO, IT DIDN'T.
It was a very cheap popular car, not designed to run more than 100 000 Km (~60 000 miles) . After that, it is a collector.
For long lasting cars, you better had to look at Mercedes or Peugeot (Colombo) at this time.
But it was very funny to drive sportively, with motor and transmission on the back, oversteer like a Porsche.
I had a R8 Gordini for a while and made some rallies and hill climbing with it.

Peugeot 403 (full analog):
420px-Peugeot_403_front.jpg

Last edited:
Sy,
I am really surprised that you have not kept up with the times. I would much rather use an Ivory Slide rule myself, but that is just so Western in my thinking. And John, you mean you didn't step up to a Citroen, if you are going to drive a French car do it right! My best car so far was a 1974 450SEL Mercedes, went 500K miles with only one freshening of the engine. I did that in the street in front of my parents house myself. I still have some of the special tools you need to take the heads off and also to change the rear half shaft outer wheel bearings. Loved that car. Latest BMW was falling apart, trim falling off on the inside and outside front marker lights would do the same thing. No comparison between these two makes, though the data sheet may tell you different!

And I can tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke any time, Coke is not nearly as sweet as Pepsi unless we are talking about the aborted New Coke!

One of the reasons I never liked Ralph Nader was his attack on the Corvair. Why he did that but left the Porsche alone is beyond me, the same layout and the identical oversteering problems alike back in those days. If he hadn't done that we might have an American rear engine car today that would easily compete with today's Porsche.

Christophe,
You have to remember that I am from California the car capital of the world. If it existed and it wasn't from behind the Iron Curtain we had them. There are few cars that I haven't seen here at some time, we are car crazy here even if we have the highest pollution standards of anywhere in the world. I've been driving European cars since I was 16, Mercedes, my sister had BMW and many American hot rods. We do know our cars. I can still remember early Alfa's and many other Italian cars and most anything British or German. French cars have been more rare but we have them also. I remember the early Citroen"s well, they just were so different they stood out. We of course had all the early Volvo's and many other cars also. This is car paradise, we have just about any collectable car in the world here somewhere in somebodies garage.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well I have discovered Coke Zero instead of Pepsi. Renewing my Pilot medical has me looking at my weight.

Back on topic for analog volume chips the Maxim DS1882 is OK as is the very nice NJR Muses 72320. No op amps built in use what you want. I measured and listened to more than a few types and like these. They are small, accurate and repeatable with good matching. Hard finding quad pots that can do this these days.

Back on topic for analog volume chips the Maxim DS1882 is OK as is the very nice NJR Muses 72320. No op amps built in use what you want. I measured and listened to more than a few types and like these. They are small, accurate and repeatable with good matching. Hard finding quad pots that can do this these days.
It seems the NRJ muse need caps in the signal path ?
I would be interested to know what devices you had tested, and your results. Including your version, of course :)

Yes,analog chain S/N, but not the ratio Signal to (D/A conversion artifacts+I/V + LP filter noise), which is the case with digital domain attenuation, and is subjectively much worse..
qusp
I am using preamp with gain 6dB, power amp with gain about 30dB. Do You mean, that it is too much? And normal listening level is somewhere between -30 to -20dB at preamp.

My dac is 132dB SNR to start with, its internal DSP (the ES9018/12/16) uses 48 bit calculation for the digital filter and volume control. and then there are the methods in software with 64bit floating point calculation, leaves me quite a bit to play with wouldnt you say?

the actual gain needed will vary on room, speakers etc.
what i'm saying is, that if your normal listening level is more than -30-40db less than what you have, you have to much gain and it will affect your sound quality whether using digital attenuation or not. if using digital attenuation with a sensible amount of gain, you shouldnt/wouldnt be able to hear any artifacts.

so basically if you build your system using correct principles there should not be any situation where it effects the output and if you create a situation where it does, its user error, rather than the fault of the digital volume control.

remember we are talking about digital source here, or at least I am. +30dB of gain puts me into kV territory; can your poweramps handle +30dB of gain on a standard line level source without clipping?

No.

Apple to apples.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.