John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK a quick search seems to confirm the issue, but at high frequencies sometimes and with some resistors. Zfoils for instance it would be UHF. but thick film, we could see some effects on GBWP...maybe...

a thread on edaboard.com (good forum) had this to say in response to

this question

I have an 11 Amp RMS current flowing in a one milliOhm sense resistor (1%).
(its a 1210 size chip resistor)

...this current is amplified by a differential amplifier with a gain of 100, and there are filter capacitors incorporated in the differential amplifier (using OPA335 op amp which has low Vos) so that the amplified output voltage is DC.....(and then this DC output of the opamp is read by an ADC on a microcontroller)

......The 11 Amps current waveshape is of the form of a full wave rectified 50Khz sinusoidal current waveform....so it has a frequency of 100KHz.

.....Do you think skin effect issues will be at large here?......will the 1 MilliOhm resistor act like its a lot more than 1 MilliOhm?

Think! The measured DC current isn't affected by skin effect at all.

Skin effect only affects the AC resistance. I agree with crutschow, that skin effect won't be very strong for film resistors. Some milliohm resistors are however made of thick (e.g. 0.5 to 1 mm) metal bars, and they will show considerable skin effect at 50 or 100 kHz. It would be a problem for precise AC current measurements, not the present problem.

Another point to consider for AC measurements is resistor inductance. For film resistors, it's impact is much more important than skin effect.

Last edited:
A 12 ga resistor lead?

Why not? Some of my resistors have 1 inch by 4 inch lead cross sections, or about 4000 kcmil..:eek:

And that's only for my preamp...;)

OK a quick search seems to confirm the issue, but at high frequencies sometimes and with some resistors. Zfoils for instance it would be UHF. but thick film, we could see some effects on GBWP

a thread on edaboard.com (good forum) had this to say in response to

this question

What a crazy Q and A..

11 amps into a milliohm, 11 millivolts..

The current derivative is 11 times 50,000 times 6.28, or ~ 3.3 million amps/sec..

L dI/dt = V..
1 henry inductance = 3.3 million volts.
1 mH =3,300 volts
1 uH =3.3 volts
1 nH =3.3 mV.

So a 30 % error would be had with a 1nH resistor.

Um, wonder what he ended up doin??

jn

Yes Scott too much alcohol, and completely switching 2nd & 3rd.

I agree, it does seem unlikely..however, at -100 dB, who's to say? ...that's why I mentioned the test to Ed.

jn

Thin film resistors run around 1000 Angstrom's in coating thickness. My back of envelope calculation says anything thinner than .005" should be okay for audio.

Of course I mixed the units, now we can see who can follow what that means!

Dick,

Would you quite giving away secrets that I charge to tell John!

ES

skin/proximity effects themselves are linear phenomena

if the current concentration causes higher local heating then a nonlinearity like TC may be exaggerated - a very 2nd order effect if the TC is already acceptably low, skin/proximity current crowding/impedance change only begins to be visiblea at few % at highest audio frequencies in most audio circuit components

but skin/proximity effects in perfectly linear materials should only give "funny looking" impedance change with a fractional power dependence on frequency

Last edited:
jn:

oh haha yeah I just skimmed his question just a quick well chosen google term got me there and I like that forum, dpont know what he did actually, but rather than theorizing further about it as i'm about to hit the bed, there is this link, which looks to be about as good an answer as we are going to get.

it was linked by one of the replies and includes thermal imaging pictures of high power chip resistors and a graph vs F as well as all the math we could ask for. more than I asked for I can tell you with the state of my head

I wasnt thinking of him actually meaning he had 11A measured across the mohm just that there was 11A being fed to the circuit, thats crazy alright! lol

Last edited:
Couldn't tell ya.

I could. :D Thick film might be 0.0005" or a bit less. Deposited vapor for thin film will be ten times lower. Resistivities will be several orders of magnitude lower than copper. Bulk foil drops midway between thick film and thin film. So you have both things (geometry and conductivity) working against any significance to skinning in ordinary film resistors or expensive thick film.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
skin/proximity effects themselves are linear phenomena

if the current concentration causes higher local heating then a nonlinearity like TC may be exaggerated

but skin/proximity effects in perfectly linear materials should only give "funny looking" impedance change with a fractional power dependence on frequency
This is an important example. These various mechanisms do interact, and the full description will necessarily be complicated. The evaluation of their importance will be especially difficult. And an evaluation of their audibility even more so :eek:

yeah well we pretty much came to that conclusion a while ago yes, but still worth following it through to find what resistance, what effect, what frequency. I thought it was interesting anyway and that document I found and linked from AT ceramics high power resistive products, 'Design, Test and Measurement, Performance and Mounting' looks excellent reading so its been downloaded for later

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, skin effect does not normally cause any nonlinear distortion, just a roll-off approximating 3dB/oct. The only REAL problem with small amounts of 'skin effect' was brought forth by Dr. M. Hawksford in his wire articles, and here it DID create a non-linear time displacement that JN has hooted down as virtually impossible.

Last edited:
I could. :D Thick film might be 0.0005" or a bit less. Deposited vapor for thin film will be ten times lower. Resistivities will be several orders of magnitude lower than copper. Bulk foil drops midway between thick film and thin film. So you have both things (geometry and conductivity) working against any significance to skinning in ordinary film resistors or expensive thick film.

Ah, so pray tell..how will it fare with proximity effects? That unfortunately, has nothing to do with the thickness of the film...and is actually the test I asked Ed about trying.

jn

To the best of my knowledge, skin effect does not normally cause any nonlinear distortion, just a roll-off approximating 3dB/oct. The only REAL problem with small amounts of 'skin effect' was brought forth by Dr. M. Hawksford in his wire articles, and here it DID create a non-linear time displacement that JN has hooted down as virtually impossible.

Actually, Dr. Hawksford forgot about the permeability of the magnetic steel wires he used, there was an inductance of 15 nh per foot times times 100, or 1.5 uH per foot that he forgot to consider. So he concluded incorrectly.

I thought you understood that by now, so why in the world would you bring that dead horse up again?

jn

Status
Not open for further replies.