John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Jan, you just have to be able to use your RIGHT BRAIN as much as your LEFT BRAIN. There is some evidence that the RIGHT BRAIN is poorly utilized with modern higher education, and therefore does not get developed as well as it should.
In western societies, the right brain is DOMINANT in listening to music, singing, etc. That is why some people can lose function in the LEFT BRAIN and still sing and even play music, even though they may have impaired speech and other problems. I'll starting footnoting where you can read about this, when I find the original titles. These references were kindly referred to me by ED DELL, so he must think there is something to it too! '-)

That is a CUSTOM SMILEY, DF96! Sometimes too much body building can be bad for the body, perhaps the same can be said by people who study exotic subjects excessively, and they 'might' actually atrophy the right side of the brain, while many audiophiles, due to their life experience, have more highly developed the right side. This make make the difference between 'audiophiles' and 'skeptics'! '-)

Now, how could education be a bad thing? (in general)
On the other hand, how could a Ph.D actually help to make better ANALOG audio designs?
What magic in knowing intimately how a transistor works, or the precise math behind FFT analysis, etc, give an EDGE on making a better audio discrete design, like I am trying to show here? '-)

Scott, I am a LIFE member of the IEEE, which means that I was a consistent member, with journals sent to me, for more than 40 years. That is the rule. I am still a member of the IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INSTRUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT group. So there! '-)
Anything good to look up lately? They won't send me the journals, anymore, unless I pay big money, and so I only get monthly or quarterly reports. I MISS THEM and IF a specific article actually showed me how to do something better in audio, I would go out of my way to get a copy.

Scott, I am a LIFE member of the IEEE, which means that I was a consistent member, with journals sent to me, for more than 40 years. That is the rule. I am still a member of the IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INSTRUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT group. So there! '-)
Anything good to look up lately? They won't send me the journals, anymore, unless I pay big money, and so I only get monthly or quarterly reports. I MISS THEM and IF a specific article actually showed me how to do something better in audio, I would go out of my way to get a copy.

Yes, I got the exact name wrong. I dropped my membership when they cancelled the group medical insurance for retired engineers.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, note the hand-made smiley at the end of John's comment. He is just winding us up!

John may be (partly) joking, but there may be some who genuinely believe that education is a bad thing. This is best regarded as a form of inverted snobbery.

The only connection I can see is that education generally promotes logical reasoning and critical thinking and thus people that are less easily influenced by what's being said and preached around them.

jan

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I am interested in how an output handles itself when the lf content is running in one quadrant, and then suddenly has to traverse another, not necessarily through zero current/voltage. Bursting a 20Khz sine in quad 1 (+V/+I) such that the output stage flies into either 2 (-V/+I) or 4 (+V/-I) means the opposite pass elements really have to work.. and the entire stage has to respond to that. (I'd hate to think about some active element going into sat because of some silly little pulse...then taking time to recover..)
Where's the fun in that? I like sinx/x far more, it's cleaner.
jn

Well, let's do it and see what falls out of it. can you work on it?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Good spirited comments... re. math requirements and use and people on this DIY forum et al. Note to understand my situation, we had a matrix organization. If an EE had a lot of programming to do on a complex LSI interface he designed to run diagnostics/controlles on an experiment and got his tech to help trouble-shoot it -- we had an account to requisition a computer programmer from the computations group. Or, if an EE had a lot of math to do to get thru his portion of the project, we would requisition a math programmer. We didnt allow EE's to be jack of all trades as a small organization might. That wasnt considered a good use of their hired for talents and time. Every part of a project thus used the best minds and talents for that part... resulting in a very high level of successful, on-time and within budget projects. But, the EE was still responsible for his outcome and thus worked with the math programmer, for example, to get the results desired. They no longer had to know math in great detail anymore. Add to that the use of sim circuit design software use and less and less higher math was/is done by EE's. Thx - RNM

Last edited:
Hypothesis - Heyser and Gerzon could, Toole and Lipshitz couldn't.

Evidence: none. :D

I note that for the Hawksford phase challenge, the two people who stepped up and actually identified differences included a PhD and a non-engineer. The ones who ran away complaining that DBTs inhibit their ability to hear (peeking required), well.... So much for John's sneering "hypothesis."

The only connection I can see is that education generally promotes logical reasoning and critical thinking and thus people that are less easily influenced by what's being said and preached around them.

Depends on the education, I suppose. I have known a lot of gullible folks with lots of education and credentials. And I know lots of people with no formal education who are incisive and logical thinkers and are well aware of the ways of the human mind.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Depends on the education, I suppose. I have known a lot of gullible folks with lots of education and credentials. And I know lots of people with no formal education who are incisive and logical thinkers and are well aware of the ways of the human mind.

Sure - my point was more the general tendency of education to promote logical and critical thinking. I agree it's not an automatic result.

Interestingly, in my country there's been a spirited discussion whether the MAIN goal of education is not so much to pump knowledge and facts into your brain but precisely to learn the ability to reason and be critical. That way, you can handle any situation, even those never envisoned when you were doing your education.

jan

I'm a tech. Wish I could be better at math but I'm not. Anyone here that thinks that I don't value higher math is wrong. I only pointed out how two very well educated EE types can appear like kids in a school yard fight when their math/theory clashes with each other. A world without high math would be a distasteful place indeed.

That being said, no math formula pointed the way for DeForest to take a wiggly piece of wire and insert it between the anode and cathode of a diode.

Nor did it remind Bob Pease to put on his seat belt.

The inventor of the ADAT, Keith Barr, never went to college. He would tell his engineers "stop calculating and just build it up and see if it works" There was a time in the mid 90's when there were more ADAT's sold than all other digital multi-track recorders combined.

Oh! And when an EE brings me his gear to fix it because he can't, well wait a minute! the EE is supposed to be smarter than me?

(shame on you Robert, fawning sycophant!).
:D What is wrong with acknowledging greatness and using what knowledge has been graciously supplied on this thread; at least that which I can undrestand;)

Interestingly, in my country there's been a spirited discussion whether the MAIN goal of education is not so much to pump knowledge and facts into your brain but precisely to learn the ability to reason and be critical. That way, you can handle any situation, even those never envisoned when you were doing your education.

We discussed this in Lounge, "University has no clothes". The problem is, Western education is more and more business oriented, like sale of certain skills to get a job. Things change.

Status
Not open for further replies.