John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
There seems to be very little effort here to separate solid engineering practice from extraordinary claims. I find discussions like Rod Elliot's far more objective. He even removes pages as he learns better. I can't claim it was me, but after I posted somewhere that he had the distortion characteristics of microphone capsules in constant charge vs constant voltage mode reversed he fixed it.

Capacitor Characteristics

I still have not seen an explanation of the claim of a device that distorts a complex waveform and not a sine wave of the same peak amplitude. "Sounds like" and measurable are different.

That Elliot article is very good.

For some other odd opinions about caps (not endorsing I hasten to point out), I was told via an intermediary that Audio Note believe (or believed) that the crucial differences among caps for audio coupling etc. were the amounts of piezoelectric activity, and this drove their adoption (and fabrication) of paper-foil-oil caps. They helpfully made these available for purchase :p . My friend wanted to use them in various places in an active crossover I designed, a hybrid tube-transistor affair. The larger ones were about the size of a quarter stick of dynamite, and of course had an irreducible loop area that proved problematic in proximity to the toroidal mains transformer's leadouts.

But the worst thing for me was the leakage current, which was substantial. I quipped that they were the first capacitors I'd encountered which nearly necessitated a d.c. servo :D

According to Thorsten Loesch, who I gather is still quiet after a fit of pique when admonished, Qvortrup and company have returned to using film capacitors, based on what new revelations I have no idea.

All the above is fine and valid, only, it doesn't address what RNM wrote here repeatedly:

Well, I think it does. For one thing it is probably provable that most of the reference LP's that folks go to have terrible low frequency group delay artifacts. Except for dynamic range and noise I don't find the low end anymore "believable" on Sheffield Labs, etc. than those 60yr. old recordings.

… When something doesnt sound right, we tend to dig out the thd/im/frequency response tests. if all is good/normal then we say the people hearing something a particular sound are crazy or worse. Instead we should find a test that does correlate. …
…This is another example (besides cap DA) of how linear distortion SOUNDS non-linear.

That's an unfair generalization, the old close minded engineer made of straw. Linear distortion and "sounds" non-linear are inexact, fuzzy, and useless to an engineer IMHO.

… I am talking about test equipment measurements which correlate better than freq response or thd. It seems to have gone right over the heads of the readers here.
We are often told -- that because the thd or phase or freq response is super good, listeners are nuts to hear what they say they hear. It started with caps but I moved on to other areas.... you guys are still on caps and distortion? …

Again tired old characterizations. Test equpment measurements are fine, I'd love to see someone extract "what really matters" from all the garbage with a Cary or Wavac in the signal chain, let alone sampling the sound field from just about any real loudspeaker.

My point is simply that when listeners say they hear something and describe it, consistantly .... there are measurements that seem to correlate to that very audible description.

Considering there also are many folks and recording professionals who don't hear something, please forgive me if I want to see some published results from some controlled listening tests rather than the proverbial "everyone in the room".

Last edited:
RNMarsh said:
it isnt an 8 pole... much less.
It can't be much less than 8 poles - look at how fast it falls with frequency. Unless, of course, it is heading into a zero which is just off the edge of the graph. That would create problems of its own.

RNMarsh said:
If memory serves me -- ringing would show up as a ripple in the decay time data.
Only if there is still an input signal to beat with or there are effectively two or more resonators. Otherwise ringing would show as an exponential decay (i.e. linear on a dB scale) at the resonance frequency.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
If you arent into making high quality caps, like Audio Note isnt, they would know about the fields between the plates can cause plate attraction/repulsion if not using a solid dielectric. You can hear some caps vibration with signal currents passed thru them... High speed winding methods makes things worse by trapping air between layers... making for loose plate and more possibility of arcing over and break down (a reliability issue for the mfr). Only slow, tight winding can reduce this but that limits thru put and so cost is higher.

Another method to increase voltage rating reliability and prevent capacitance modulation (measured it and published it) under pulse power or high current apps is to anneal the cap.... You have all seen a flattened or oval film cap.... this is what is being done.... the cap film is heated to the plastic state and pressed... fusing the film into a solid block. no air, no moving/vibrating plates. Most caps if you saw them in half will shred but a cap made slowly and annealed will cut like a solid peice of metal. Not that that has anything to do with sound. The monolythic style caps that are not wound (WIMA) will not have these issues but they generally cant be used well in high current apps. Each has it place in apps. -RNM

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Well, I think it does. For one thing it is probably provable that most of the reference LP's that folks go to have terrible low frequency group delay artifacts. Except for dynamic range and noise I don't find the low end anymore "believable" on Sheffield Labs, etc. than those 60yr. old recordings.

That's an unfair generalization, the old close minded engineer made of straw. Linear distortion and "sounds" non-linear are inexact, fuzzy, and useless to an engineer IMHO.

I am not going to where it is an issue of what people like. I like LP and I like iPODs.... I use my iPODs in the car and in the home at times. For ME, LP and iPOds (MP3) are not HD sound. But I can still LIKE the sound. Since this forum is not just for you, Scott and it is JC's, I have been down this road before. I think the HD equipment today, such as what JC has done, are far better than the past.. 1950-60 stuff. But thats just my opinion. I do not think that those same performances, if recorded and reproduced and used the best HD equipment today could not be told apart by listening. [ had a small recording business in the Bay area and I know the sound issues from that end as well]

Some of these correlated tests may be somthing useful to others in thier work.

Pls continue to feel free to not make any judgement until you are personally satisfied. But that isnt my goal nor interest.

Again tired old characterizations. Test equpment measurements are fine, I'd love to see someone extract "what really matters" from all the garbage with a Cary or Wavac in the signal chain, let alone sampling the sound field from just about any real loudspeaker.

Considering there also are many folks and recording professionals who don't hear something, please forgive me if I want to see some published results from some controlled listening tests rather than the proverbial "everyone in the room".

From the Elliot article:

A popular piece of disinformation that really irks me is the claim that ceramic caps should not even be used for bypass applications in audio. This is drivel, and is totally unfounded drivel at that. The purpose of bypass caps is to store energy that ICs need on a short term basis, swamp PCB track inductance to ensure that opamps don't oscillate, and to ensure that digital circuits don't generate supply line glitches that produce erroneous data. There is absolutely no 'sound' associated with DC supply rails. Opamps don't care if the DC comes from a battery, solar cell, or rectified and filtered AC (sine or square wave, any frequency). DC is DC - it has no sound, and it contributes nothing to sound unless it is noisy or unstable. Supplies may be completely free of noise, or might be relatively noisy (especially where digital circuitry shares the same supply). Provided all noise (including voltage instability) is of low enough level that the opamp's (or power amp's) PSRR (power supply rejection ratio) prevents the noise from intruding on the signal, supply noise is immaterial. As always, a blind test will reveal any genuine difference, and a sighted (non-blind) test will reveal the expected result - real or imagined.

To reject ceramic bypass caps, which have the best high frequency performance of nearly all types, is sheer lunacy.

From Cyril Bateman:

61894d1144431542-ceramic-capacitors-x7r.jpg

Here's the caption:

Some capacitors distort even a pure 1kHz sinewave test signal. This 10nF X7R ceramic was made by a CECC approved, European manufacturer. It was tested at 1kHz and 3 volts, in series with a 10kž current limiting resistor. Measurable distortion exists at all voltages down to 0.5 volts – my lowest test voltage.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It can't be much less than 8 poles - look at how fast it falls with frequency. Unless, of course, it is heading into a zero which is just off the edge of the graph. That would create problems of its own.

Only if there is still an input signal to beat with or there are effectively two or more resonators. Otherwise ringing would show as an exponential decay (i.e. linear on a dB scale) at the resonance frequency.

Thank you. I understand. Let me put it another way. A square wave with ringing on it or this water fall plot? Which better correlates to the description of loss of details in the region of the rolloff (resonance)? I think this is a better fit. thats all. Sorry i dont rememebr the details of the filter --- I thought it was a speaker cross-over but now that you mention it, it might have been an active, variable Kron-Hite filter. Anyway, my point was which better correlated.

As to some of the really big probems that are not and needs to be addressed, I havent the answeres for anyone.

Last edited:
RNMarsh said:
A square wave with ringing on it or this water fall plot? Which better correlates to the description of loss of details in the region of the rolloff (resonance)? I think this is a better fit. thats all. Sorry i dont rememebr the details of the filter --- I thought it was a speaker cross-over but now that you mention it, it might have been an active, variable Kron-Hite filter.
The water fall plot is probably a better way of showing energy storage, as square wave ringing can be caused by several different things. My problem is that in order to exhibit the phenomenon you chose an unlikely filter for an audio system. It is fairly easy to find 'scary' plots; audio salesmen use them all the time to frighten people into believing they have a problem which the gizmo being sold will fix.

serengetiplains said:
From the Elliot article: . . From Cyril Bateman: . . .
So the story seems to be that high value ceramics are fine for HF bypassing but don't use one to set the LF rolloff for your system. That is, make sure if you use them that there is no appreciable signal voltage across them (and that they are not piezoelectric). You didn't actually say but that was the point you were making?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Expnad on this a bit - in your mind

The water fall plot is probably a better way of showing energy storage, as square wave ringing can be caused by several different things. My problem is that in order to exhibit the phenomenon you chose an unlikely filter for an audio system.

Come on - extrapolate in your mind.... Mostly, I think in terms of concepts. A lower order filter will have a faster decay but wider area of affect.... and visa versa.... right? This example should be thought in terms of what would happen with two closely spaced resonances like a low pass and a high pass such as might be found in speaker filters etc etc. If you think it might matter, then nextstep would be to find ways to minimize the issue. -Thx RNM

Last edited:
Richard, things sure have changed! '-) I remember you and I in a heated debate in choosing which two Rel. 0.1uf polystyrene caps, on TAN, 20 years ago. You put out charts and graphs at the time, comparing your RTX (I think) vs the RT that I used in my Vendetta Research phono stage at the time. You were very persuasive, then. Now, people are telling us to use ceramic caps in the power supply. What is the world coming to?

From the Elliot article:

From Cyril Bateman:

61894d1144431542-ceramic-capacitors-x7r.jpg

Here's the caption:

Talk about bait and switch a bypass capacitor sees no AC signal (it's there to eliminate it). This is a classic mis-use of Bateman's results. Would anyone use X7R's to make an RIAA, please.

EDIT - Sorry if I missed the point of juxaposing the two articles. My experience has been as I just said, X7R's have easily measurable distortion when voltage appears across them so according to some are useless in any audio application.

Last edited:
RNMarsh said:
A lower order filter will have a faster decay but wider area of affect.... and visa versa.... right?
You may be confusing order and Q. A sufficiently smooth rolloff (e.g. Bessel) could have no storage at all so nothing to decay. A filter does not necessarily have to show resonance, although sharp ones usually will.

john curl said:
Now, people are telling us to use ceramic caps in the power supply. What is the world coming to?
Nobody is telling you to do anything. Just noting that different caps have different purposes. Ceramics are not universally bad. One of my standard techniques when leading a discussion group is to say something apparently outrageous just to make people think and question their own tidy assumptions.

john curl said:
From: 'Audio Quality' G. Slot, 1972 on what happens when you make a low pass filter with more than 9dB/octave.
Interesting, but it may be that it is the shape of the initial rolloff corner rather than the final slope which really matters. The article may mix these up. However, it does perhaps raise issues relating to the brickwall filters of digital audio.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
John:
I thought Slot's book was really interesting when I first encountered it many years ago. It has a number of observations that are still very relevant.

I may want to borrow it at some point in the future.

This is a collection of observations by some really smart people at Phillips from the 70's. It predates most of the polarization we have today about audio so its pretty free of the judgementalism high end audio is rife with now.

Status
Not open for further replies.