John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
In watching the exchange on this site I must say that I see both sides. It is something how so many try a "take THIS John! approach" and lately John's replies are usually very measured but with hidden insight. Back about 1000 posts are John spills some great wisdom. It is interesting to see all of the angles here but when I scanned the posts from about a year ago I realized that if I just take John's posts and splice them together they are like technical notes on the level of Bob Pease.

I truly understand what it is like to want to be like and/or bring down a technical giant. Keith Barr was a similar genius. He was hard to understand. But he did not post his knowledge on the internet or write a book so he is lost to time. Thank you John for taking the time to put out what you can here so it is not lost; Even if you don't serve it up as most wish at least most of it can be found with some effort.

And BTW I would call our earlier exchange glib not flippant.:D

Robert

Last edited:
morinix said:
if I just take John's posts and splice them together they are like technical notes on the level of Bob Pease.
If only that were true! John might be a brilliant designer (I honestly don't know, having never studied his circuits in detail or heard them in operation) but, unlike Pease, he is a reluctant explainer. He keeps telling us how good he is, but when one of his design decisions is questioned he tends to sulk rather than take the opportunity to teach us something new. Questions of clarification are ignored or get the usual reply "I must be good because I keep getting good reviews". It makes me begin to wonder whether the emperor is as well-dressed as he (and his friends) claim.

I would genuinely like to learn from John, but he makes it very hard work.

If only that were true! John might be a brilliant designer (I honestly don't know, having never studied his circuits in detail or heard them in operation) but, unlike Pease, he is a reluctant explainer. He keeps telling us how good he is, but when one of his design decisions is questioned he tends to sulk rather than take the opportunity to teach us something new. Questions of clarification are ignored or get the usual reply "I must be good because I keep getting good reviews". It makes me begin to wonder whether the emperor is as well-dressed as he (and his friends) claim.

I would genuinely like to learn from John, but he makes it very hard work.
It never is easy getting info from the likes of these technical giants. The only exception to this I have come across is Brad Plunkett. Sorry, that is just how it rolls in this field.

Not everyone is a natural teacher. I think that wisdom and the willingness and ability to express it are mathematically orthogonal.

How do you explain guys like Scott Wurcer, Bob Pease, Barrie Gilbert, Jim Williams, Bob Widlar, Bob Cordell, Nelson Pass, and on and on, who are far more successful and accomplished, yet are (or were) excellent explainers and never had to resort to insults and evasions when dealing with technical matters?

How do you explain guys like Scott Wurcer, Bob Pease, Barrie Gilbert, Jim Williams, Bob Widlar, Bob Cordell, Nelson Pass, and on and on, who are far more successful and accomplished, yet are (or were) excellent explainers and never had to resort to insults and evasions when dealing with technical matters?
Those are a few exceptions of a huge pool. Another I can think of who does not spill his guts is Mitch Margolis. He designed one of the most transparent sounding compressors to date. A lot of it has to do with can the said tech giant write. Writing and tech skills do not usually go hand in hand. Can you imagine our world today if Tesla didn't write so much? That was just a lucky confluence of skills in one person.

Thanks for your input, morinix. I will try harder to become more clear with any real input that I can make here. Now, I am equipped with the ability to post jpegs, schematics, etc. For about 1 decade, I had little that I could post, except words. that did not have to be posted through SY or Ed Simon. It is hard to make a circuit point with just words.
Please everyone, remember that I am typing on the 'fly' in real time, and I am not composing an article for a technical magazine.

Here is one of the 'competition' preamps that beat me in the ranking. I had one for 10 years. It deserved its place in the ranking.

Attachments

• pas_pic.jpg
    pas_pic.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
It is hard to make a circuit point with just words.

So what about answering some relatively simple questions?

Previously I'd asked what "AC garbage" currents would be flowing through the transformer center tap node that wouldn't also be flowing through your "virtual center tap" node?

Are you saying you can't answer that without charts and graphs?

se

So what about answering some relatively simple questions?

Previously I'd asked what "AC garbage" currents would be flowing through the transformer center tap node that wouldn't also be flowing through your "virtual center tap" node?

Are you saying you can't answer that without charts and graphs?

se

(Not that I understand it a bit) But I think I remember Nelson
(on another thread) saying something about if the mains had
an assymetrical signal it would manifest in a full wave power
supply output, but not with a full wave bridge .

(Not that I understand it a bit) But I think I remember Nelson
(on another thread) saying something about if the mains had
an assymetrical signal it would manifest in a full wave power
supply output, but not with a full wave bridge .

Don't know that this has anything to do with it. And since John steadfastly refuses to elaborate on anything, I guess we'll never know.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.