John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Doesn't look like a relay to me, more like one of those flat opamps like JRC makes.
The reference designator is consistent with the other relay.

I finally recognized the three inductors next to the connector, lower right corner. I thought they were power supply isolation. That is really close to the big cap which is the output connection.

I can see maybe 1 MHz max with this layout. But what constitutes correct at 1 MHz for a phono transducer?

Last edited:
It would not matter at a $5K price point. It could be made in the USA for about $5000 retail. There just is NOT enough in the circuitry to justify the $25,000 cost.
We, for example, are bringing out a $19,000 phono stage that has 10 times the active parts, better caps, and includes a power supply. That is still very expensive, but at least there is a lot more inside the fancy chassis.
The Soul--- design looks like a Levinson LMP-2, well engineered with IC's and cost effective parts, primarily.

electronic designs

In the '80s, i built circuits for testing whether Reed relays deteriorated small signal audio, due to their magnetic action.
Not very original.

A Reed relay in a SIL/SIP package is at least 2.5 times thicker than a JRC SIP8, the SIL also has a roof-shape top, hard to miss on a picture.

Amusing bit, a Hamlin HE3321 A/C series now roughly costs the same amount in € as it did in Dutch Marks back then.
(i still have lots of parts in SIL, SIP6 to SIP9. By Hamlin, Günther, CP-Clare, JRC parts, uPC1237, NEC UPA63/68A, other JFETs)

Last edited:
I have thousands of those Hamlins left over from designing Automatic Test Systems.

With cold switching they last forever and can be tight stacked on a 0.1" grid.

What did you conclude from your magnetic/audio experiments? I never saw any effect on the lowest level analog signals, apart from thermal emf effects.

But that wasn't magic audio .....

In the '80s, i built circuits for testing whether Reed relays deteriorated small signal audio, due to their magnetic action.
Not very original.

A Reed relay in a SIL/SIP package is at least 2.5 times thicker than a JRC SIP8, the SIL also has a roof-shape top, hard to miss on a picture.

Amusing bit, a Hamlin HE3321 A/C series now roughly costs the same amount in € as it did in Dutch Marks back then.
(i still have lots of parts in SIL, SIP6 to SIP9. By Hamlin, Günther, CP-Clare, JRC parts, uPC1237, NEC UPA63/68A, other JFETs)

Jacco,

Your post reminds me of the fact that most present on this thread are known for their technical curriculum. I have to go on a pseudo for a while, but since I have some pertinent views on a number of issues, it may be good to post what I did in the beginning of the eighties of the last century to give you some measure.

The theme was robot arms, at a time when the fax machine was a rare novelty. Since the location of the tip of the robot arm is determined by the angular rotation at the joints, precission requires rigid arm segments, Any flex introduces errors. Because rigid=heavy, this introduces an arms race between the weight of the arm segments and the motors driving them. A lot of energy is wasted in the process, and it slows down things. So, the idea was to use light weight flexible arm segments, and measure the position of the arm tip to provide feedback to the control electronics.

What I designed is the electronics to measure the 3D position of an ultrasound conducer with a precision up to 1/10th of the wavelength. Interface between Apple II, break out box with quartz timers and devider cicuits, about a hundred LSxxx logic chips, analogue signal generation and capture, software, the whole shebang. Setup worked, but not at the speeds required to provide timely feedback, plus air is a rotten medium for accurate measurements of this nature.

Anyways, this was in the eighties, I couldn't halt evolution since, and my present pass time amongst others is to figure out the best possible power supply. May be posting on this shortly,

vac

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"And LOOK at what you get with a JC-1, the quality of the components, (no IC's in the audio path) . . . "

The quality of the components on that PCB look pretty ok to me. WRT IC's, if you ever spent some time inside a modern semiconductor fab John you'd understand that your statement is pretty ill informed.

It seems to me the Solution folk are the first to cotton on to the fact that you can charge >$25k for an op-amp based phono amp, while you - a discrete FET proponent - can do no better than to say your effort is worth every penny of its $2.3k charging price.

Last edited:
Well, I tell you what, Bonsai. It just so happens that the JC-3 phono stage is also made with IC's. It would be more expensive, much more expensive, if it was made of discrete jfets.
Of course, you can put together a throw-away piece of junk that will serve as a phono stage for less than $100. I suggest that you do that, but you will never win any listening comparisons with it. I like to win listening comparisons.

IC or discrete, a lot of the cost is in the execution & peripherals.

The 750 uses bus bars for power distribution across the main board.
Power lines and signal to the phono boards go through vertical bars, and not wimpy ones either.
Signal enters in the center of the board, with signal ground next to it.
It looks as if a raised resistor is soldered from the top, between the lead of R11 and signal ground, but after the phono board is mounted and soldered to the vertical bars for +/-15V, power ground, signal in, signal ground.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...ls-blowtorch-preamplifier-part-ii-soul750.jpg

(the 4-pin wire connector in the corner of the board is for Rel1 & Rel2)

Last edited:
Long enough to have bought some of those opamps I initially thought they were in Akihabara in the beginning of the eighties.

Since you want to learn about me, let me learn about you. Have you yourself done any original electronic designs in the field of consumer or other electronics?
Dutchie !

Dutchie invented the first chillum pipe with an servo actuated door and reverse osmosis smoke degenerative system ...

lead to legalization, fully endorsed by Peter Tosh @the time

IC or discrete, a lot of the cost is in the execution & peripherals.

The 750 uses bus bars for power distribution across the main board.
Power lines and signal to the phono boards go through vertical bars, and not wimpy ones either.
Signal enters in the center of the board, with signal ground next to it.
It looks as if a raised resistor is soldered from the top, between the lead of R11 and signal ground, but after the phono board is mounted and soldered to the vertical bars for +/-15V, power ground, signal in, signal ground.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...ls-blowtorch-preamplifier-part-ii-soul750.jpg

(the 4-pin wire connector in the corner of the board is for Rel1 & Rel2)

Raise psu voltage to 25 and hear her sing .....

Last edited:
Since the location of the tip of the robot arm is determined by the angular rotation at the joints, precission requires rigid arm segments, Any flex introduces errors. Because rigid=heavy, this introduces an arms race between the weight of the arm segments and the motors driving them. A lot of energy is wasted in the process, and it slows down things. So, the idea was to use light weight flexible arm segments, and measure the position of the arm tip to provide feedback to the control electronics.
vac
Cool stuff.

Nowadays, we're using articulated arms to measure positions of fiducials to +/- 15 microns, and an array of 12 laser trackers to get +/- 1 micron. (in a room controlled to +/- .5 degrees C.)

My own work involves that as well as 11 axis motion control to +/- 100 microinches using 7 axis in splined interpolation and 4 followers using algorithm blocks.. The math for this stuff is pretty interesting, no??

j

Of course, you can put together a throw-away piece of junk that will serve as a phono stage for less than $100. I suggest that you do that, but you will never win any listening comparisons with it. I like to win listening comparisons.

100 USD or so are enough for an excellent phono preamp ,
perhaps even including a cheap aluminium dual casing ,
one for the preamp and another one for a PSU....

Just take a very good IC as an HA12017 , it can yield
70dB SNR with a MC head or 80dB with an MM.

If MC SNR is not good enough you can always add
a single discrete fet stage.

Anyway , i doubt that listening tests would show
any audible difference with four digits figures preamps.

100 USD or so are enough for an excellent phono preamp ,
perhaps even including a cheap aluminium dual casing ,
one for the preamp and another one for a PSU....

Just take a very good IC as an HA12017 , it can yield
70dB SNR with a MC head or 80dB with an MM.

If MC SNR is not good enough you can always add
a single discrete fet stage.

Anyway , i doubt that listening tests would show
any audible difference with four digits figures preamps.

You vill ve proven wrong , differences abound ......

Status
Not open for further replies.