John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone said that. What is being said is that sound quality and measured performance are not automatically hand in hand. No one is stating that measured performance is not important. It just does not tell the entire story, that is all.

This is in accord with my experience, as well as the experience of some of my friends. Moreover, the tests which are probably most relevant to sound quality, like TIM and its' derivates, are seldom measured and never published.

Steve, do you suggest that an excellent sounding amplifier can be built with the cheapest components?

That is not at all what I was saying. I was speaking as a machinist when I said the cases could be made LESS EXPENSIVELY not cheaply. I don't know the exact dimensions of the BT, so the price of the Al could vary some, but not likely upward as I based this on TWO CASES 17" wide, 12" deep and 3" tall.

TN still game? ;-)

I don't do a lot of machining anymore. There are plenty of shops around though.

The BLOWTORCH has been A-B compared to many preamps. I don't do it, our (wealthy) customers do it for themselves. Only tubes have given us a serious run for the money, or perhaps better sound. This is from the people who can have the best in the world, because they can easily afford it. Is or was the Blowtorch perfect? Of course not, we could do even better with a new design. In fact, I am counting on it.
Now when it comes to my specific designs that I am given credit for, and are available for purchase today: They start at $1000 for a 100W/ch power amp. That means that the product has to be delivered to us at about $250, at the dock. What can anyone else do for the same amount of investment? OK everyone, this is your chance.

They start at $1000 for a 100W/ch power amp. That means that the product has to be delivered to us at about $250, at the dock. What can anyone else do for the same amount of investment? OK everyone, this is your chance.

We would need a little more information on the expected performance to answer that. What power at 4 ohms? Is it expected to run a 1 ohm load? You know there is more to it than the 8 ohm rating.

Everyone, it must be realized the WE do NOT set the prices. The machinists set the initial price for us. We get started with one machinist, and we don't want to shop further, unless pressed. We have tried for years to make cheaper cases, WITH THE SAME QUALITY, but we have failed to do so, so far. Criticisms should be backed up by present knowledge, before it is put up.

Steve, I was a little off in my estimates: Actually the Halo A-23 is THX rated at 125W/ch into 8 ohms, it does 200W into 4 ohms, and of course, much less into 1 ohm. 1 ohm loads are tough, unless you especially design the amps to driver them.
It's price, taken from the Audio Advisor catalog SC209 is $949.00.
It apparently won: "Power amp of the year" in 'The Absolute Sound'

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Why? You don't seem to care much about "quality", as reflected through numbers.

Never said or implied that. All I'm saying is that it's easy to find cases where there is no general consensus, even when looking at the same set of numbers. It's the interpretation that's different. Most recent example is the few nanovolts noise that may be induced by RF sources. Same number, different views on whether it makes or not a difference.

So I do care about numbers, but I accept that my interpretation may not agree with somebody else's. I also accept that my view isn't particularly of interest to experts here, because I'm a beginner, limited by my experience, knowledge, etc. However I also believe that all of you are limited by the experiences you had in your life time. To me is just common sense, but I don't expect everyone else to agree.

Wouldn't be better to build your discrete power supply, tweak it to your taste, and then tell everybody how great it sounds, perhaps comparing with a subjectively highly regarded commercial product?

If I was the only one concerned, yes, it would be best for me. Otherwise, it would entirely depend on the target audience. If my goal was to sell it to them, I'd address their concerns.

In audio, do we not see that at the end of the day, the fact remains, everyone compares to some "reference?" Numbers do get mentioned, but who among you will buy a product with a significant cost, based on specs/numbers, sound unheard?

That is not at all what I was saying. I was speaking as a machinist when I said the cases could be made LESS EXPENSIVELY not cheaply. I don't know the exact dimensions of the BT, so the price of the Al could vary some, but not likely upward as I based this on TWO CASES 17" wide, 12" deep and 3" tall.

This may be so, however, it's not the difference in views between Chris and me.

Steve, I was a little off in my estimates: Actually the Halo A-23 is THX rated at 125W/ch into 8 ohms, it does 200W into 4 ohms, and of course, much less into 1 ohm. 1 ohm loads are tough, unless you especially design the amps to driver them.
It's price, taken from the Audio Advisor catalog SC209 is $949.00.
It apparently won: "Power amp of the year" in 'The Absolute Sound'

Indeed, driving 1 Ohm is very tough and seldom needed. However, can that amplifier drive such a load, or 2 Ohm load?

Status
Not open for further replies.