John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this "advantage" might have been questionable, most probably a large gap in solid state technology in Soviet Union. I know very well what I am speaking about. Ronald Reagan was the one who realized the fact of Soviet retarded technology and economy, and he knew what to do ;)

After the 1975 incident where the U.S. got to see that backward vacuum tube system we started to test our gear for EMP resistance. It turned out the MIG25 was much better than our gear!

How would you go about making a system that can survive an EMP? So are there semiconductors that resist EMP better than others?

BTY the real surprise was finding the MIG25 was made out of steel not titanium! It was stunningly fast, could climb quite high, but horrible in turns and had very limited range. It was designed to launch at U.S. bombers and spy planes to overtake them.

Even our military radio communication transmitters/receivers were made with tubes. Same reasoning-impulse. The fact was different. I used to work on a Tamara system (awacs on 2 trucks), we had to use western parts that were under embargo. You Americans have always been naive.

So how did they EMP proof the Tamara system? And what kind of parts were used?

Then there is the tale of how brand new state of the art test equipment was being stolen from college campuses as soon as it arrived. There really was a spy at the manufacturer's plant that targeted the gear for quite professional thieves. The stolen gear quickly made it's way behind the iron curtain.

What are the limitations of semiconductors to an EMP?
Failure of the device as a result of a very fast high voltage transient. Failure can be destruction of the low signal inputs, gates and B-E junctions for example. Anywhere there is a significant loop area that will allow the trapping of the high rate of change magnetic pulse.

EMP hardening for semiconductors would be too heavy for a fighter plane.

Thanks,
Chris

Actually, it's not too hard to protect against it. It is not radiation per se which required absorbtion, so no lead, depeleted uranium, tungsten or molybdenum required. Keep the loop area's very small, and interconnections via fiber optic cables. The power conductors are more difficult to manage, and for a while, kapton was in avionics wiring, and it's not self extinguishing.
I was thinking thermal.
Ah. EMP is just an ElectroMagnetic Pulse, it destroys by way of faraday's law of induction.

jn

Status
Not open for further replies.