John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
That's a nice article.

Cal Perkins once said that he would consider hiring a recent graduate fresh out of school only if she/he had either studied with Barry Blesser at MIT, or Robert Meyer at UC Berkeley. Anyone else would have to have gotten some "real-world" experience before being considered.

Brad

Turns out he lived three doors down from me for years. He was a friend of another neighbor who taught at Harvard, when I met him he had great difficulty thinking anything you said was important.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Turns out he lived three doors down from me for years. He was a friend of another neighbor who taught at Harvard, when I met him he had great difficulty thinking anything you said was important.

A pity. Everyone, I am convinced, has something to learn from us, as well as something to teach us. After I've gotten over anger at someone (but not before! --- process it and release it!) I look to see what I've learned from them, if nothing factual, then at least by their example of questionable behavior.

A pity. Everyone, I am convinced, has something to learn from us, as well as something to teach us. After I've gotten over anger at someone (but not before! --- process it and release it!) I look to see what I've learned from them, if nothing factual, then at least by their example of questionable behavior.

You get over these things, it turned out Doug Pries was just a couple of blocks further down.

Double chocolate cake, high fructose drinks with extra amounts of flavouring, Marylin Monroe, Andy Warhol portraits, cocaine, loud music, breast and lip augmentation, gym rats' excessive muscular development, etc, are super normal stimuli.

Creating and responding to these things is normal activity in all species. But we've got technology, so....:D

Double chocolate cake, high fructose drinks with extra amounts of flavouring, Marylin Monroe, Andy Warhol portraits, cocaine, loud music, breast and lip augmentation, gym rats' excessive muscular development, etc, are super normal stimuli.

Creating and responding to these things is normal activity in all species. But we've got technology, so....:D

Funny I was in the presence of some unbearable dead-heads and luckily the local college station was playing some extreme Japa-noise and I said, "Here this is MY drug of choice".

They're not all super flagrant. Speakers with that HF zing giving 'detailed sound' are a super normal stimulus, I figure. Always like them for a little while.

This is all nonsense. Of course people like music that 'moves' them, whether it be BIG BANDS, symphony orchestras, or some rock groups like the Grateful Dead. What WE tried to achieve (Bear, Ron and me) was LOW DISTORTION loud music, with emphasis on low frequencies, perhaps up to 1KHz, rather than mid or high frequencies. EVERY roadie, mixing engineer or designer who worked with the Grateful Dead is still without a hearing aid, to the best of my knowledge.

Actually, Scott, I think that I would find you 'unbearable' after a short time. '-) You don't seem to have ever 'broken away' from your parents, and you are critical of those who have done so. I have always find that getting the most of the situation at hand, is the best, and to avoid what I can't cope with, without prejudice.
In my life, as a student, we were pretty much 'folkies' with all the partying that that entailed. Later, while employed in industry, I got so uptight and straight jacketed, that my wife left me in disgust, in early 1970. Then I joined (reluctantly) the GD family and learned a lot of new ways of viewing the world, AND they CARED more than even AMPEX as to high quality sound, and they were willing to pay for it. Later, when I migrated to The Institute for Advanced Musical Studies in Montreux, Switzerland as a faculty member, I changed to somewhere between being a 'deadhead' and an 'engineer' and found myself the most comfortable I have ever been, but you will rarely hear me dismissing my GD experience. It was enlightening.

Actually, Scott, I think that I would find you 'unbearable' after a short time.

Never a light moment, Barry's article made mention of loud music ("noise") as a drug of sorts I saw an opportunity for a little fun. The unbearable person was actually lecturing at length that all drug addiction was made up by a government conspiracy and they swore I knew nothing about wine because I didn't know of the world class red desert wine from Bordeaux.:)

Shoepenhauer would say it's my German ancestry. http://www.mgilleland.com/asonnoise.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.