John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think that this 'parsing' of words with regard to 'popcorn noise' just confuses the issue. Both Scott and Ed are correct from THEIR reference point, but what matters is what 'popcorn noise' is defined as, TODAY, not 80 years ago.
The reason this is important is that '1/f noise' has a rise of 3dB/octave, and 'popcorn noise' has a rise of 6 dB/octave, and they are caused by somewhat different mechanisms. In truth, we hardly know how '1/f noise' is actually created.

We now know that 1/f noise comes from e hopping in Coulomb glass formed by impurities in the semis. Not that it helps us much and this only applies to semis and not the rest of the worlds 1/f noise.

John Curl Rules!

Happy Birthday Mr.Curl.................

Attachments

• 208.gif
    208.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 264
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Whilom, as olde stories tellen us,
Ther was a duc that highte Theseus;
Of Atthenes he was lord and governour,
And in his tyme swich a conquerour,

Language does change with time. So it is important to keep the usage in context. For example the 0 db level for acoustic measurements actually has changed. (The current reference is 10 db lower than the old US one!)

Did I miss something? I have 50 years worth of acoustic measuring stuff here and no sign of a change in reference level. It is dB re 1V/Pa (or 1V/uBar) on all the cal charts I have seen. Or are you referring to the original Rayleigh disc measurements (which would have predated standards and were used to derive a level of hearing sensitivity)?

Did I miss something? I have 50 years worth of acoustic measuring stuff here and no sign of a change in reference level. It is dB re 1V/Pa (or 1V/uBar) on all the cal charts I have seen. Or are you referring to the original Rayleigh disc measurements (which would have predated standards and were used to derive a level of hearing sensitivity)?

Actually late 1800's to very early 1900's. When reading Sabine the 10 db shift often comes into play!

OK, let's talk about something useful, whatever that is.

I guess the observation is similar to the thing I said in the last iteration of the thread, whihc is the only way to have no 1/f noise is to be using a perfectly realized superconductor.

Until then, depending on the linearity (dynamic vs switching speed limits vs hysteresis gives good hints) of the given junction design, there will always be varying levels of 1/f noise. Part and parcel of the the entire idea and reality of the atomic 'wave-particle' 'co-junctive' conditionals of a 'semi-conductor'.

If the hash noise of the 1/f function itself was cured, then the function of the given semi-conductor begins to more stair step than to 'curve gradually'. The noise is part and parcel of achieving a smooth curve. the other half is the choice of materials (element combinations), or semi-conductive materials, their purity and their method of being applied.

As Maxwell originally wrote in his original and full unedited equations, there is a unidirectionality, aysmmetricality and elasticity to electromagnetic function.

So much for Lorentz and Heaviside. (and every wrong step that needs futzing math to make it mathematically viable-that came afterward)

If the original equations where not the correct ones to be using in any form of analysis... the idea of a semiconductor would not work, whatsoever.

Let me say that in Buckingham, p.130, is a graph of noise at spot frequencies, 10,100,100K at different temperatures in a device, that completely obsoletes my original concept of 1/f noise. For example, how can you have 10Hz DROP, and 100Hz RISE compared to another temperature, and this graph is NOT smooth, not smooth at all.
Now, what if, for example 10Hz was all important, and 100 Hz was not? Then an operating temperature of 200K would would be optimum.
However IF 100 Hz was necessarily optimum, then about 240K would be best.
And near room temperature: 260K or so.
10Hz is awful, and 100Hz is not too bad, kind of typical of a noisy jfet
BUT at 300K, 100 Hz is awful and 10 Hz is almost as good as 100Hz which is at a 10dB lower value than 260K.
WHERE IS THE SMOOTH CURVE?
This is where reality defies engineering approximation.
This curve initially states that IF you want lowest 10 Hz noise, then you have to cool the working temp to 200K. And if you cool it further, the 10 Hz noise will rise abruptly, as will the 100Hz noise somewhat, and even 100KHz will be worse below 200K, UNTIL you approach 100K, THEN the 10Hz noise is about the same as the 200K value.
It is like the excess noise on whatever device they used is composed of a series of wobbles, perhaps quantum related, and no smooth curve.
Buckingham states that this was an Nch jfet, selected for low noise at room temperature. Go figure!
Buckingham's source for this graph was: Haslett and Kendall (1972) 'Temperature dependence of low-frequency excess noise in junction gate FET's' 'IEEE Trans. Elect. Dev.', ED-19 , 943-950.
I hope to find the original reference in time.

Let me say that in Buckingham, p.130, is a graph of noise at spot frequencies, 10,100,100K at different temperatures in a device, that completely obsoletes my original concept of 1/f noise. For example, how can you have 10Hz DROP, and 100Hz RISE compared to another temperature, and this graph is NOT smooth, not smooth at all.
Now, what if, for example 10Hz was all important, and 100 Hz was not? Then an operating temperature of 200K would would be optimum.
However IF 100 Hz was necessarily optimum, then about 240K would be best.
And near room temperature: 260K or so.
10Hz is awful, and 100Hz is not too bad, kind of typical of a noisy jfet
BUT at 300K, 100 Hz is awful and 10 Hz is almost as good as 100Hz which is at a 10dB lower value than 260K.
WHERE IS THE SMOOTH CURVE?
This is where reality defies engineering approximation.
This curve initially states that IF you want lowest 10 Hz noise, then you have to cool the working temp to 200K. And if you cool it further, the 10 Hz noise will rise abruptly, as will the 100Hz noise somewhat, and even 100KHz will be worse below 200K, UNTIL you approach 100K, THEN the 10Hz noise is about the same as the 200K value.
It is like the excess noise on whatever device they used is composed of a series of wobbles, perhaps quantum related, and no smooth curve.
Buckingham states that this was an Nch jfet, selected for low noise at room temperature. Go figure!
Buckingham's source for this graph was: Haslett and Kendall (1972) 'Temperature dependence of low-frequency excess noise in junction gate FET's' 'IEEE Trans. Elect. Dev.', ED-19 , 943-950.
I hope to find the original reference in time.

Volumetric changes and conductivity changes in atomic structure as a parallel path and overlay upon one another... are probably among the greatest clues. At least as an idea of external observation.

A line is preferred over that of a curve. Which is gotta be the most obvious 'duh!' statement for an audio related thread. the origins of any curve aspect are key. More duh. In the final analysis, with nothing that is current (in time and knowledge base of public science) being changed...Graphene may make a better gate than a D-S in any transistor attempt.

I lost my original post. Which is probably a good thing.

Regarding temperature, in my understanding...you are getting quanta to quanta velocity or voltage differential/electron flow propogational rate and distribution/polarity related differences due to wave-particle distance/polarity changes. One could get into the mirror aspect of the aether function which is a source of part of the random (brownian) noise function but that gets ugly pretty fast, regarding being outside of the discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.