Joe D'Appolito's THOR (Seas)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
modified Thor crossover

Hi

I'm quite new in this forum and it might be that my English turns out not to be the best. But anyway in March 2004 a German DIY magazine modified the crossover of the Thor.
The guy, called Dr. Timmermanns, is quite well known in the German DIY hifi community.

He said something about a tweeter which doesn't work properly in the area around 4000 Hertz and changed two capacitors (C2 8,2mF to 5,6mF and C3 18mF to 15mF)
According to him the Thor was working well after that. He also added further things for people using amplifiers with tubes, but I don't know if that is important for you.

Unfortunately you cannot have a look at the new crossover on the internet. But you can order the magazine.
Here is the link (this is no advertisment):

http://www.hobbyhifi.de/Archiv/04/03_04/03_04.html

If you are interested maybe I could send you a picture via email. sorry I am not able to post it, as I don't have a homepage of my own.

Hope I could be of help.

Actually I'm very interested in the outcome as i am thinking of building a Thor or an Odin mkIII as well but there still are some German alternatives (Visaton Vox 200 MTI) and I do not have the money to buy both kits.

drjjpdc said:
I would like to know if anyone in the tri state area has built a Thor (NJ, NY or PA in the USA)? I am new at this and am hesitant to spend the bucks without a listen. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

The same question for Lower Mainland, BC, Canada...
Would be nice to have an opportunity to listen Thor's before trying to replicate them...

Re: modified Thor crossover

dgrot said:
Unfortunately you cannot have a look at the new crossover on the internet. But you can order the magazine.
Here is the link (this is no advertisment):

http://www.hobbyhifi.de/Archiv/04/03_04/03_04.html

If you are interested maybe I could send you a picture via email. sorry I am not able to post it, as I don't have a homepage of my own.

Does anybody else maybe got a copy of this article and are willing to mail it to me?
I tried to contact "dgrot" but got no reply, also tried to order a copy from HobbyHiFi, but no luck.

THor XO

I finally tamed the Thor .. its very obvious that the speaker are to strong in the 4-5 khz electric guitars and vocals sounded like knifes in my ears... so I find a formula on one of thoose fact pages they call it resonance filter it is capacitor and inductor in series adding them up toghter in a formula and you will get a number that number is a frequency where the impedance will be the greatest ,
My filter is set to 4438 HZ doing this filter in paralell with the tweeter and then of course adding an resistor in series with the cap and inductor , the resistor value will adapt the db that is lowered in my case I found 10,5 to be about right ( I will tweakmore for sure)
The frequency and amount depends on equipment and room of course its individual to every setup.
This thingy will lower the impedance in that freq area can be a problem for weak or poor amps since it is in the higher freq area it carries low power so it should be ok for most amps (?)
If any one needs more info feel free to add me to msn.
And yes i did try the intertech evo4 bogus filter blowing 80 bucks for nothing it did sound like **** .the guy who put this on the internet should give me my 80 bucks back

Hi M8 my mod is quite cheap only consisting of one capacitor , coil and resistor . you add these up in series with each other the resistor on the end , The values I have at the moment is 5,6 µF capacitor and 0,22mH coil the resistor is atm 12.1 ohm I had it set to 4,5 khz before but changed it to 3,8 khz wich gives more holographic soundstage yeat smooth.
You connect this circuit in paralell with the tweeter ,
Make sure to put the mod after the orginal XO directly to the tweeter ( in paralell) .
If you have som small Capacitors laying around you can try to paralell it to the 5,6 µf and you will then hear that the damping will move to higher frequency 8,6µf will make the filter set to 4,45 khz , Adapt the level with the resistor I found 12-12-4 ohm something to be quite good.
Please let me know the results.

Br Olle

linoll said:
Hi M8 my mod is quite cheap only consisting of one capacitor , coil and resistor . you add these up in series with each other the resistor on the end , The values I have at the moment is 5,6 µF capacitor and 0,22mH coil the resistor is atm 12.1 ohm I had it set to 4,5 khz before but changed it to 3,8 khz wich gives more holographic soundstage yeat smooth.
You connect this circuit in paralell with the tweeter ,
Make sure to put the mod after the orginal XO directly to the tweeter ( in paralell) .
If you have som small Capacitors laying around you can try to paralell it to the 5,6 µf and you will then hear that the damping will move to higher frequency 8,6µf will make the filter set to 4,45 khz , Adapt the level with the resistor I found 12-12-4 ohm something to be quite good.
Please let me know the results.

Br Olle

Thanx, will try it.
How do you experience the base on your Thor's?

The bass without damping material I would say earthquake like with aprox 600 grams sheeps wool It is farily tight quite deep and the volume is also more than necesary ,
I packed the wool behind the drivers and then loosed it along the way to the back half of the back chamber is empty (no stuffing) .
My room is quite small cant be compared with a 40 sqm room .
How do you experience the bass?
Taking down the upper midrange can make the speaker sound more bassy .

linoll said:
The bass without damping material I would say earthquake like with aprox 600 grams sheeps wool It is farily tight quite deep and the volume is also more than necesary ,
I packed the wool behind the drivers and then loosed it along the way to the back half of the back chamber is empty (no stuffing) .
My room is quite small cant be compared with a 40 sqm room .
How do you experience the bass?
Taking down the upper midrange can make the speaker sound more bassy .

I also removed about 1/2 the specified stuffing (Accustuff) to get the best result. Would expected the bass to be tighter and deeper - for my taste. Using a 90W Denon HT amplifier and Nordost Flatline Gold cable inside speaker and outside.

linoll said:
how long have you played with the speakers? mine has only run for aprox 30 hours in total.
Think the sound will open up after 100 hours or so .
They sound quite better now than the first few hours .

Mine have been palying for about 200hrs already. They only started to sound "good" after about 80hrs . The 1st 50hrs was really bad, almost sold them ;)

I think my problem was that I expected too much after reading the review (only found one from AudioXpress) and the fact that it was "designed" by D'Appolito. So when I 1st listened to them, I was very disapointed. They do appear very nice, the big size and nice drivers with the copper. Thinking of rebuilding them to the "Fat Thor" design.

ohh so there is more ! If they will start sounding sifnicantly better than now then its a real high end bargain.. with my mod of course , My room dont have a problem in 4khz since I have already had several other speakers set up in this room recently ..monitor audio audio pro etc , Mr bigshot must have made a more or less misstake with the XO, or relied to much on his mesurement plots.. in my world the judge can only be the owners ears

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.