JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier

Good idea. If possible, increase C1 (the output cap) by a factor of 4 or 5.
> a better overall design than the later DC coupled ones

If you enjoy the sound of coupling capacitors at input and output. :)

Patrick
If the input coupling capacitor is a type that does not generate distortion in the audio band AND sets the passband.
Then a lesser type at the output that has a much wider bandwidth than that carefully selected input capacitor will be virtually inaudible.

A 1uF in to Rin of 39k gives a a lower passband limit of 4Hz
Select a 10mF feeding the 8ohms speaker and it has a passband of 2Hz.

this is back to the usual rule of ensuring the INPUT sets the passband.

The output capacitor removes the need for a speaker protection relay, potentially a greater evil.
Some of the soldering seen in photos here would scare me if there was no speaker protection
Be careful in what you say.
In some the output capacitor must charge up.
That charging current has to pass around the circuit.
Is the Speaker in the charging circuit?

I don't recall 'switch-on plop' (as JLH called it) being a problem on my JLH69.

I believe it depends on the speaker itself, my JLH69 is powering some high efficiency 96db Fostex, without the speaker protection it gets pretty loud at turn-on and turn-off. With 87 db with thicker cone you won't hear much.

p.s. My output capacitor is a 4700uF, 35V so maybe such a big value doesn't help with the thump.

BR,
Eric

Last edited:
I have some JLH 1969 and 1996 Update pc boards on the way!

In the mean time I'm looking for the proper power supply to use for either version. On The Class A Amplifier Site Geoff has a section on Rod Elliots' capacitance multiplier power supply that looks easy enough to put together.

Here's the schematic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Geoff says, "The capacitance multiplier circuit has been developed further, by Rod Elliott of Elliot Sound Products, and the results published as Project 15 at the ESP Audio Pages. The modified circuit is suitable for both the original 1969 JLH amplifier (using only the positive half of the circuit) and the 1996 update."

Has anyone used this power supply with the JLH amps and, just to double check, it can be used as either a single or double rail power supply?

Thanks -
Bruce

Has anyone used this power supply with the JLH amps and, just to double check, it can be used as either a single or double rail power supply?

There's enough PSRR at the output stage to avoid having to regulate the main power rails. Instead, put a cap multiplier on the power rails to the front end of the amplifier as I mentioned already above (TGM9).