JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier

Yes, correct Gareth, Nico is extremely smart AND experienced. However, you are smart too, there are heaps of smart guys on the forum, but as they vie for limelight it is difficult to love all of them......... I have lost a good deal of my verbal skills in recent years so I keep out of it these days. Besides, what is the point?

Hugh

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Nico I only have one one of these power supplies that I've been using on this build. Evidently one is not enough... :(

No problem :) As Nico says, we all had to start somewhere, and I remember my first CMOS logic project (tone generator) where I hadn't realised the 4011 chips needed to have the power supply connected to pins 14 and 7 for it to work. I thought it all worked from the just the pull up resistors and so on. The PSU connections to the chip weren't obviously shown (lol).

A few have suggested the original JLH69 which would be ideal and imo, a better overall design than the later DC coupled ones.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey abpea, where are you? If you go to Siliconray, he has the boards and some components, and priced right (um, free).

Search results for: 'jlh' - Boards | Kits | Components | Modules | Tools

It even has a free cap multiplier power supply pcb with caps for free too....

I have the kit (PCB with all parts) somewhere downstairs, if I locate you can have it. Where are you? I am in Naperville...

Also follow that Geoff Moss JLH amp link, and ask all questions here. It is a worthwhile build.

Isn't today Sunday? I have just done my churchwork for the week.

Last edited:
Wow, a lot happening here while I slept!!

john65b - I found and ordered silicon rays PC boards. Has anyone else used them? Are they good meaning no errors on the boards? I'm in Champaign, would be happy to meet sometime. :)

Mooly, my ignorance appreciates your kindness my friend!!

Nico, I like your suggestion, I'm going to build the 1969 version to see if I can get it done. You know I appreciate the convenience of a PC board but I am really drawn to wiring point-to-point. Something about physically creating the circuit helps me learn more. I'm reading JLH's books and once I have a better understanding of how his circuit works then then I'll no doubt switch to using PC boards for the convenience and speed of putting future amps together. Right now it a challenge for me. It looks like a simple circuit and probably is but for someone learning 'how to do it' I'm finding my arms aren't long enough yet to get around it if you know what I mean. :) I keep saying it and I hope everyone in this forum believes it but I am genuinely and sincerely grateful for everyone's help, advice, patience and kindness. You guys are the best!

On a side note, I have to blame Hugh Dean for all this frustration and thrashing about. I built a pair of Hugh's amp followed by his wonderful preamp a few years ago. I had a great time building the gear and have enjoyed many, many hours listening to music coming out of those amps. Dean was so encouraging and the experience was so pleasurable I just figured it was going to be the same for all my future DIY projects! :)

Thanks again -
Bruce

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ha! I was just in Champaign yesterday for the U of I - Western game with my boy! I could have dropped off the PCB and components!

I graduated BSME there in 1987 - are you a student?

After you nail the Amp, your next "project" is a bread-boarded point to point Aikido tubed linestage!!

Before you would consider building again, or buying another power supply, maybe you could test it first with one lab supply.
Only need to add one resistor at the input and one capacitor at the output.

Once it works and you like the results, you would want to build a proper dual-rail power supply anyhow.

Patrick

Thank you Patrick! That's seems easy enough to do I think I'll give it a try and see what happens!

I like the JLH amp, I often wonder if it would sound better if we replaced the phase inverter with a CFP.

It requires something special to make it work but I don't know what. I thought you have tried it in some form - when I put it into my JLH69 it robbed the sound of something and I didn't like it.