Jim Griffin's JX92S designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tim,

I did not check this forum over the weekend so I missed your recent posts until tonight.

I'm pleased that you had a good listening experience and the direct cone/ribbon to electrostatic speaker comparison basis. As I only have my faulty acoustic memory of ES speakers (last heard more than a decade ago) to compare vs. the Jordan/AC ribbons, your comments are appreciated.

Thanks for your experiences and let us know how your listening progresses as the speakers break-in.

Jim

A couple of pics of the finished article...

These continue to impress, particularly the integration of the drive units in which respect they sound like one. Verses the electrostatics its swings and roundabouts (high praise indeed) which was never the case with the Eikona where I missed the top end sparkle, impressive though the Eikona was.

The Eikona, with its more transparent spider and very substantial build seems to me to hold a few potential advantages over the JX92 so I can't help wondering how it would would sound with a ribbon vs the JX92/ribbon, however given the wonderful sound coming out of these little speakers that will most likely remain idle curiosity.

Thanks again Jim, these are superb.

Attachments

• DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    521.7 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Adaptions of Design

I want to share my enjoyment of Jim's design. I currently have two versions in my house. On one, I added the ribbon tweeter to the JX-92 transmission line design. The TL works well with my subwoofer.

The other design combines Martin King's Eminence Alpha 15-A H-frame with Jim's design. I rolled off the low end of the JX-92 near 200 Hz with a poly cap.

Both of these are my main speakers for listening other than the Vandersteen 3A Signatures in my home theater. Quite pleased with the detail in the design. The H-frame also maintains that detail down low.

Again, fine design, even if we can't get the JX-92 anymore.

Craig

Attachments

• H-frame Jx-92a.jpg
    H-frame Jx-92a.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 312
  • T-line Jx-92a.jpg
    T-line Jx-92a.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 383
I notice that running the Xover for the treble section of JIM's mini monitor in XSim the 15uF capacitor has negligible effect on the roll off slope, ditto for phase at the 3kHz crossover, albeit with the phase difference widening by about 50 degrees at around 1kHz.

In any case curiosity got the better of me so I tried bypassing the capacitor altogether on one speaker and on a swept sine wave I heard no significant difference between the speaker with the the bypass and the one without. So far, so good. With both 15uF caps bypassed and listening to music I am hearing large improvements in treble purity/detail/immediacy on almost everything so I am strongly inclined to keep it this way.

The simulation uses FRD/ZMA files for the Fountek JP3 which is the closest match I can find online for the G2SI, but as its just relative differences we're looking at here I guess that'll do.

I know what my ears are telling me, but am I missing something in the simulations? The attached shows my simulation of the difference.

Jim, I'd be very interested in your thoughts on this and I wonder if you have tried it.

Tim

Attachments

• With and without 15uF.jpg
    With and without 15uF.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Hi Mike

I shorted the second capacitor in a 3rd order filter so essentially its still a second order filter, but a steep one from the look of it (~15db/8ve), with its slope essentially unchanged from before but with clearly improved transparency in my view...at least from what I've heard so far.

Tim

Thanks for the capacitor suggestion Mike. As you say, not too expensive, and a very positive write up for them on the Humble Homemade Hifi site too. I have the 5uF Ansar bypassed with a Teflon and the larger 15uF cap bypassed with an A.N. PIO and small teflon which has given me the balance I want, but I'm always game for an upgrade. Something in me says upgrade to a pure foil type but I'm tempted by your suggestion.

Yes, I'm still using the JLH daily and very satisfied with it.

Tim

Tim,

Have not used bypassing caps to date but am not averse to the idea.

I have FOUNTEK NEOCD3.0s with the grills removed.

My amps are class A, SE, DC current feedback with servo, with a follower output pair, no compensation and fully regulated supplies. I have attached a simplified schematic to give you a idea of what all that adds up to.

Attachments

• simplified SMA.jpg
    simplified SMA.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 165
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.