Jensen PIO capacitor burn in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I might add that, in science, one normally begins with an observation, then pursues or expands measuring or theory to explain the observation.

Not exactly, but then, I would be just as much at sea trying to explain laches, something pretty natural for you.

One starts with an observation, then makes sure that the observation is valid before beginning to spin hypotheses (the word "theory" is not correct in this context) that explain the observation. If the observation can be proved to be valid and replicable and the hypotheses are tested and not falsified, then a theory can be developed or an existing one expanded. If the theory precedes validation of the observation and confirmation of the hypothesis it will be unlikely to be useful. And if the hypothesis does not generate testable predictions, it's useless.

I can spend all sorts of effort coming up with theoretical reasons why N-rays will go through wood but not aluminum or why French people can detect them but Americans can't, but that's a wasted effort since the observation wasn't validated (see: Blondlot, Wood). That's the great thing about science: theories are always subject to test, and when a test falsifies them, they are relatively swiftly abandoned (see: Piltdown, Pons and Fleischman, Michelson and Morley).

nhuwar said:
Thats it just expensive?
Ok so what are some good name brand audio cap manufacturers?

Nick

To do what, specifically? I'm skeptical to the point of absolute disbelief that there's one brand of capacitors that does everything best for every circuit function in every circuit. It's like asking, "What's the best brand of pills?"

There are lots of good cap manufacturers and a lot of rhodium-plated bullpuckey. If you can put a little context into the question, I could certainly suggest some that I've had experience with.

serengetiplains said:
Zibi, I've spent considerable time evaluating capacitor sonics. I could probably not only distinguish that a capacitor has been changed, but probably could name the dielectric material itself. I can hear the contribution of electrolytics with even a train rumbling by.

I find the process of distinguishing sonic differences not much different than distinguishing differences in taste, among other things, as in wine, for instance. Such ability, like anything else in life, is merely a product of practice.

Why not begin with the assumption that everything affects the sound? That assumption is theoretically more defensible than the reverse and can lead to fruitful investigation---including of one's assumptions about, among other things, one's ability to hear and name sonic differences.
Stil no evidence. No experimental proof.

Originally posted by SY
"What's the best brand of pills?

Placebo makes almost every patent medicine in pill form and they seem to be popular in third world country drug programs paid for by western nations because they are cheaper than the competition. Quality and repeatability of the Placebo drugs is also first rate. They often have a longer shelf life and do not require refrigeration. They are so good in fact that they have been discovered being substituted for the other brands in the North American market.

rdf said:
Agreed but since Nick mentioned mundorf mcaps the safe assumption is we're talking coupling.

Having tried many, I keep coming back to the solid, well-engineered, non-microphonic, stable Wima FKP. No audiophile cachet but they have the virtue of actually performing well. Compared with super-bulky caps with lower K dielectrics, the inductance is nice and low, too.

Hi Nick,

"How will they work for dc blocking cap in between driver stages? "

In tube ? depending on the voltage and impedance the capacitor in use, the main worry I have is to have the caps not formed/healed(break in ;) ) properly. For example, using Supreme caps for DC blocking caps for power amp or preamp input(high impedance, low voltage) is bad idea. If you want to use it that way, you must break-in/heal the capacitor first, otherwise the caps probably will never break in.

Hartono

Hi Nick

Supreme caps 800 VDC 1200 VAC if I recall, usually break in took 1 week (around 5-9 hour use daily ) in car audio crossover. It's clearly audible, after 1 week the sound become much more liquid(not in euphonic sense) and relaxed , more natural and not congested, whereas in new condition it sound impressive and deep but not so relaxed. Foil caps usually don't change very much (if at all) , metalized caps always need break in.

In crossover situation,(my experience mostly using 4 ohm driver in car audio, actually using home driver) using 100 V film caps always sound terrible. I think it got something to do with current/power rather than voltage alone, never specified in film caps.

Hartono

Typicaly in capacitors they have a higher dc voltage and the ac limit is half of that of dc or some where around there because at the + peak of the ac cycle to the - peak it see's twice the voltage.

The capacitor in the circuit i'm using is a coupling cap.
It's coupling the first stage to the second. There's a total of 3 stages first is a 6sl7 in srpp coupled to a 300b then with a interstage xfmr to a 845.

So is this a coupling cap i'm not sure but I think it is?

Here's a link to the page with the schematic http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/845se.html

it's the .33uF cap going from the plate of the 6sl7 to the grid of the 300b the only diffrence is I will have the 6sl7 in srpp but other then that it's indentical.

Thanks
Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.