Jensen PIO capacitor burn in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
serengetiplains said:

Kevin, here's an interesting observation. Like you, I prefer teflon caps. The other day, I took some Russian teflons, drilled a hole in them, injected Fluorinert, and the teflon windings absorbed the Fluorinert. The Fluorinert noticeably changed the sonics of the caps, giving them, from the uncritical listening I've done, a bit of that PIO softness. The caps also almost entirely eliminated sibilance, retained (increased?) their resolution and sound nicely musical to boot.

hmmm

(searching for small drill bit)

Fluorinert

serengetiplains said:

Kevin, here's an interesting observation. Like you, I prefer teflon caps. The other day, I took some Russian teflons, drilled a hole in them, injected Fluorinert, and the teflon windings absorbed the Fluorinert. The Fluorinert noticeably changed the sonics of the caps, giving them, from the uncritical listening I've done, a bit of that PIO softness. The caps also almost entirely eliminated sibilance, retained (increased?) their resolution and sound nicely musical to boot.

Where do I get this Fluorinert stuff? Is that a liquid?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Flourinert can be very expensive. It's a multiy phase Fluorinerted cooling fluid used for eletronics.

I looked up the specs on it and it shows teflon has a pretty substantial weight gain when exposed to fluorinert which honestly isn't good and it swells.

This means that the fluorinert is actually breaking down the teflon and the capacitor will eventually fail.

Also by injecting it into the cap you are changing the capacitance though I'm not sure but it would probably decrease the capacitance because fluorinert has a very low dielectric constant
around 1.5 to 1.8.

Just curious what fluorinert are you using?

Nick

I'm using FC72 and FC84. I highly doubt it breaks down teflon.

The capacitance of a teflon cap actually increases when injected with Fluorinert. The Fluorinert (FC72 k = 1.75) displaces interwinding air (k = 1), which thus increases capacitance and of course changes the dielectric-plate interface.

Yagas, that wouldn't be John Broskie giving a nod to break-in? Say it isn't so.

Brian Beck said:
Lately I've been soaking my hemp-dielectric caps in organic olive oil. You should hear what it does to the sound of psychedelic oldies!

What composer do you play during the soaking?

It is the well known fact that plants grow better when classical music is playing. Though they don't like rap music.

Also, in our university some group of physics used to experiment with water. It has different structure depending on was it boiled before, frozen, and so on...

Amazing!

If any time you show a change in volume and size or swelling of a polymer it's from degradation. A slow extraction of the plasticiser and will lead to failure. The reason I said you would decrease the capacitance is because of the swelling of the teflon would increase the thickness of the dielectric which casues your capacitance to drop.
Bottom line is if you have a change in weight and or volume= deterioration

Nick

nhuwar said:
If any time you show a change in volume and size or swelling of a polymer it's from degradation. A slow extraction of the plasticiser and will lead to failure. The reason I said you would decrease the capacitance is because of the swelling of the teflon would increase the thickness of the dielectric which casues your capacitance to drop.
Bottom line is if you have a change in weight and or volume= deterioration

Nick

Nick, the capacitance increases: 4-5% for Russian teflons (three varieties), 5-8% for CRC metallized teflons.

serengetipleins: yes it is,that's why mostly I mentioned the article.

And although I don't know why, my experience is that in most cases the coupling capacitors sound -at least- more refined after 20 to 50 hours.
With some different types (for example solen tin foils) maybe 100 hours are needed and I tend to believe that it is not my ears.

Michael

Michael, changes in sound during so-called break-in are not subtle. It's not your ears.

Just yesterday I put a Fluorinert-injected metallized teflon 0.1uF shunt across my tube DAC output caps. The sound was strident for 6 hours. I was actually surprised the sound smoothed out in that time, as teflon caps typically require several days of use before they sound their best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.