• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Jens Rasmussen Leach clone group buy

Here is one shot of my amp from last year. Tad

Attachments

• leachdiy2.jpg
    leachdiy2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 549
I haven't got very far on the new Leach but here is a pic of the first one I built about thirty years ago and it still keeps giving me pleasurable sound.
It's the four TO3 per Channel version built on an HP 5" Chassis, big Signal transformer (57 volt rails), and two 12000 mfd/75v caps.

Ray

Attachments

• dscn6483.jpg
    dscn6483.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 503
That would be 57-057 with the formula from the Leach Article;

"The power supply uses a transformer with a center tapped secondary and a bridge rectifier to produce bipolar supply voltages. The approximate dc voltage on each side of the power supply is given be the ac rms secondary transformer rating divided by 1.414 minus 0.5. The recommended transformers have a secondary rating of 80 V AC rms. Wth these transformers, the powerr supply is about 40 joules. This is enough energy to lifft a 20 pound dog almost 3 feet off the floor." (??????? by jumping? BP)

So by that formula: 80 divided by 1.414 equals 56.57 minus 0.5 equals 56.07 volts per rail. So I rounded up and should have rounded down. I should have said 56-0-56.

The output transistors are 2N5631NPN and 2N6031PNP Mot's. 140volt/16Amp rated

As it stands, 2 x 35VAC or 35-0-35 is the lowest standard voltage transformer that would work. The cascodes use 40V references, so you need your rails a bit above that to allow a bit of breathing room.

You could go a bit lower if needed by reducing the values of the zeners in the front end.