jbell's set of four tapped horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi jbell,

That's a fast build. Let us know if the bracing and gluing made any difference, if you have a chance to measure one more time.

Regards,

on schedule....

Attachments

• Picturea.JPG
    Picturea.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 682
Oliver:
That's 3/4" 7 equal ply from home depot. It's void free, and I like it, as good as auroco.

I didn't take time to make them pretty -- no one will get within 20 feet of them, but they are kid proof and ready for battle....

Attachments

• Picture 043a.JPG
    Picture 043a.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 647
  • Picture 044a.JPG
    Picture 044a.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 645
Hi jbell,
That was fast, and it looks good. Have you been able to make any measurements on location?
Regards,

nope, just the 'smoke test' late last night is all I've done. There are identical clusters, end wall and side wall, and a switch to choose which is running. This way they can use the facility length or width wise. The smoke test was just using the built in HP/LP of an older crown ce4000. Acceptable volumes (80's to 90's) were achived at about 4v tops and 12v sub, so the ce sould have more than enough for this.

I was disappointed at first-- one sub sounded great, the other, well thin and ordinary... Then I remembered I broke in the driver/cabinet I did testing on, and the other 3015lf driver was fresh from box. 3015lf's MUST be broken in, and I should obviously know that.

I know indoor measurements don't mean a thing, but if you'd like later in the week, I can run a quick set.

BTW, my back is telling me to build lighter cabinets next time... but for a vibration free install, thick/heavy ply rules.

Nice build JBell.

I had forgottten to mentioned I used the same 29.99 ply from Home Depot. I found some voids and it is the first time I have used Pine and probably the last. The China Birch I have been using is only $9 more per sheet. It can take a hammer lick unlike that pine. That stuff dents way to easy. But then again your aren't going to be moving.

And Radiant - uh ... look at pic. They are inside

Nice build JBell.

I had forgotten to mentioned I used the same 29.99 ply from Home Depot. I found some voids and it is the first time I have used Pine and probably the last. The China Birch I have been using is only $9 more per sheet. It can take a hammer lick unlike that pine. That stuff dents way to easy. But then again your aren't going to be moving.

And Radiant - uh ... look at pic. They are inside

I can't stand home depot ply in general, and that includes the china birch -- at least when compared to lowe's auroco. I'm surprised at myself, I have of late sworn off home depot ply. The $23 cabinet ply that is 7 equal thickness is good stuff -- but heavy. I didn't happen to find a void in my cuts, so maybe I got lucky? Out of pure curiosity, I put a sheet on the scale... 72lbs ! My back was sure there was over 100lbs of ply involved per cabinet, and it was right. (The 9ga flattened steel mesh grill didn't help lighten the cabinet any either... Now that was a redneck adventure getting a 30degree bend..)

So I am a bit recouped from last week.
I wont have time for about 2 weeks to actually test the cabs BUT here are some hand held #s I took from the event Saturday night.
The input was -38 on the DEQ
The Apaches Berry 4K (4 ohm stereo) were turned all the way up. 126DB at 1 foot.
117 DB at 40-45 feet BUT that is with 100-150 people on the dance floor and some tables between me and the dance floor.

I have built a pair of JBell tapped horns

They are built using 19mm plywood. The plywood has 13 layers.

These cabinets feel much heavier than the pair of T36 31" they will be replacing. However, I suspect the shape will make them OK to handle.

Building wasn't that hard, except for the weight and size of some panels.
I used lots of PL, screws and 1"x2" bracing for all outer corners.
Needed approx 2/3 of a tube of PL per cabinet.

For AB testing with a pair of T36, how should I arrange the pairs of cabinets?

Mouths together, standing on on their sides? I have a V-Plate for the Tubas - would it be unfair to test with that?

Microphone on the floor?

Using a tone generator I will start at 40 Hz, and measure up to 100Hz.

Are there any measurements you feel I should make / prospective builders would be interested in?

Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.