Jaycar CW2196 8" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will have a look at that Soundlabs site a little later this week when i finish mowing the lawns, washing the dishes, building those boxes, and taking tea with my 'oldies'.

BTW, I purchased a huge great db meter (moving coil 8" diameter!) off the ebay site last week and I am just knocking up a rectifier come integrator for it - so that it measures peak/vu. I am going to slap it in the front of one of my 120lt subbies just to be a duffer. Or should that be "a doofer"!

Cheers fellas

If you can get into Launceston, Dan from DArcher Audio (.com) can get you stuff from Parts Express with shipping cheaper than what you'll probably get yourself, so another avenue for drivers if you want.

I recently got some Daytons for about $2 more than RRP since they were on special, :)

Hay guys sorry to hijack

But I need some help.

What would be the smallest enclosure they can fit in and work properly?

Currently I'm thinking of putting two in 18.5L internal volume box (23.1L external volume).
I'm thinking of not using dividers between them, because 9.25L per woofer might be way too small.

Box measurements:
30cm wide, 70cm long, 11cm deep (all outside measurements, with 19mm softwood thickness)
Also, this leaves me about 4/5cm of space between the magnet and the backboard, is this enough?
I've noticed it's magnet vented...

PS, these woofers sound pretty bad in a air free setup or an IB setup.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
G'day Nightlamp, your other thread brought me back here. ;)

Has anyone damped the baskets on these? I'm using mine up to 300 or so and wonder whether I should bother. I remember when I last had them out the baskets didn't greatly impress me.

Hmmm. I just picked up a pair of Goodman RB 20s and the woofers have completely rotten surrounds. I don't know what the other drivers are like (but they look to be in good knick) so am considering dropping a pair of CW2196s into the cabinets. As near as I can tell the cabinets are ~23l and it seems like they've been in storage for a couple of decades.

So what's the consensus? 23l sealed box 'acoustic suspension' with these drivers as the woofers in a 3-way system? (The tweets look quite nice, Goodman's own drivers. No name on the woofers.)

TIA,

I'd spend a bit more and buy woofers that have a better sound...
Hi Pete, thanks for the reply.

So, you think the Goodman RB 20s are worth spending more on? I can find a little on teh intarwebs about them but not a lot, especially about the specific model. I've not heard them as I got them as they are, with no surrounds on the woofers. Looking at the build quality, crossover complexity and especially the soft-dome tweets.... They look good (Goodman's own make, just says "26mm Dome - 8 Ohm - Made in England"). The ~ 3" mids are backed by a sealed tube that extends most of the way to the back of the ~ 23 litre internal capacity, dacron-packed cabinet (to isolate them from the 'acoustic suspension' of the woofers) and likewise seem to be in very good condition.

I'm an invalid with an income to suit so can't go throwing money around. Ergo first port of call is the Jaycar catalogue. (Anyway, turns out that the Goodman woofer is slightly bigger, maybe 5mm, than the CW2196 so they won't fit in the cabinets.) As I don't know much about the Goodmans I don't know if it's worth spending much on them.

I tried to fit new surrounds to a pair of drivers myself once and, although I got one right, the other was a disaster. Granted they were 5" so didn't have as much 'wiggle room' as I'd have with 8". However the surround kits weren't exactly peanuts and, as mentioned, I can't afford to throw money away. Also, as I bought these speakers from a second-hand shop (deceased estate) I don't know if they've been powered up in the condition they're in - which would have damaged the voice-coils very quickly.

I got the Goodmans for NZ$10 as, once I took the grilles off and showed the shop owner the state of them they quickly took the $89 price tag off them. Honestly, I bought them for the tweets for the spares cupboard, which, as I said, look great (and I'm partial to soft-domes, really not a fan of titanium domes). However, the deeper into the cabinets I looked the better they appear to be. So now I'm wondering if it's going to be worth putting a pair of woofers in and having a listen. Alas, I don't have a pair of 8" around that I could 'borrow'.

Cheers,
Shaun.

Hi Shaun, don't know anything about the Goodmans, just that for a few more $$ you'll get much better drivers. You'll need woofers that match the volume of the cabinets if you want to re-use them; I'm sure Home Audio Solutions in Auckland will have something that'll work. 23L will probably be good for 6" driver if you port the box. I think the SEAS ER18RNX is an excellent choice, but maybe a bit expensive for you, I'll have a look at their site & see if there's anything else that might do the job.

Thanks again Pete. Thanks especially for putting me onto Home Audio Solutions, I didn't know that they existed. I'll peruse their site. :)

It's been a while since I had much to do with making my own speakers. Times have changed and, thank the gods, my little Jamos are continuing to serve me well, with a Klipsch Sub 12 helping them out after my attempt at making my own sub failed, mainly due to amplifier problems. One day I saw the Klipsch heavily reduced and impulse-bought it. It was only a little dearer than a decent amp for my own sub would have cost.

Cheers,
Shaun.

Didnt know we existed! Well thats not a good start now is it.
LOL. My bad.

Although, in my defence I haven't been 'active' in the world of audio since the early 90s. That's when I had an accident that left me with chronic back pain and, because of it I lost my business, my home and my life-savings. I sold most of my audio gear back then and have 'made do' with what I had left since. It's only now that I'm looking to see if I can enhance my listening experience whilst on a very tight budget.

I've used the services of Axent Audio in the past, getting some Vifa tweeters (from Image floorstanders) re-"coned". I've checked your "About Us" on your home page and can't find how long you've been in business but, when I was asking around back then your name never came up.

I must say that it's awesome to have access to such a great range of drivers, xovers and speakers locally. If and when I can afford it you'll definitely be seeing more of me. :)

Best,
Shaun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.