Jaycar CW2196 8" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bought a couple of these 'cause they're so cheap, $40:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CW2196&CATID=15&form=CAT&SUBCATID=396

Q&D measurements to test my new computer (a refurbished dell)
Fs #1, 36.65, #2, 37.49 published 28.14
Qe #1, .28, #2, .31, published .426.
Qm#1 2.41, #2, 2.36, published 1.458
Vas #1 31.6, #2, 39.17, published 86.832
(I used Sd 189, published test used 227)

The Vas is a a lot lower than published,so should let them be used in a cab about 24L, half that the published specs model. The Qt (,28, .31, published .33) is a bit low, to get down to < 40Hz need to go slightly EBS, the published specs model flat.

Next step is to give them a pounding for a couple of weeks a see how much they loosen up....

Yes, I was looking at the 12" ones as well for a cheap subwoofer. I picked up an old Sanyo receiver for $2 that has its 50W power amps on a separate module which makes a subwoofer power amp a lot easier.
It will be interesting to see if the Fs on your 8's comes down with a bit of "exercise"

Gary

Hi Gary,
I'l run the tests again, I did it in a bit of a hurry last night, I was having to re-learn ARTA and get it all set up again. These drivers look nice, for non-Aussies, they're like HiVis with a black cone - wouldn't be surprised if they're out of the same factory;
The pressed frame is resonably solid, doesn't ring like some, a bit thin where the screws go in though. The impedance curve looks nice & smooth up to about 4Khz, so they might be good for a cheap 2-way, although I was only looking for some cheap woof; (actually would have bought 4 to get the lower price but the nerd in the local jaycar couldn't find any more stock - those guys have a lot to learn about customer service...)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Talking to the local store in Geelong I believe these woofers will be discontinued soon.

Mate has used these and the bass is really good for the price, you do need 2 for power handling tho, Jaycar never give X-max and I find it is always fairly low.

Still they represent the best "Bang for buck" in the current catalogue

re:'these woofers will be discontinued' - so, do I rush out and buy another pair now, or wait for the discount price??? :)- I know, I'll buy a pair of wavcor drivers instead...:D

re:'you do need 2 for power handling tho' - I found the same with their CW2108s, I going to have to reconfigure the 2.5 ways I've got them in as 3 ways for that reason. Pity, they sound damn good up to the point where the distortion kicks in...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
PeteMcK;2073992 - I found the same with their CW2108s said:
I have the same problem with the CW2137 in my plans for the new towers, to keep up with the Vifa P-13s I need a quad of drivers so they are kept free of distortion and only have 3 pairs, when I really want 4 woofers in each box.

Quandary, what to do, I also like the CW-2108, but it can only handle about 12 watts before distortion kicks in, nice if you can use it as a Mid-bass tho with a sub handling everything below 120/150

Listening impressions - these guys sound nasty run full range (I had to kill the pain with alcohol...), the breakup is quite severe. Yesterday I hooked them up in a Q&D 3 way arrangement with a 4" Foster & K1005 piezo super tweeter - a nice combo, but that's another story... I've got the CW2196s in 37L boxes tuned to ~35Hz, plenty of low extension, but due to the EBS alignment, found myself applying plenty of low boost.
And it wasn't too hard to get them to distort (so much for their '90W RMS' rating), even though I'd rarely use them that loud; I think Moondog's correct, I'll need two per side. The good news is that if the Vas stays close to original values, I should be able to shoehorn a pair into 50L cabs - which I just happen to have lying around...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Listening impressions - these guys sound nasty run full range (I had to kill the pain with alcohol...), the breakup is quite severe. Yesterday I hooked them up in a Q&D 3 way arrangement with a 4" Foster & K1005 piezo super tweeter - a nice combo, but that's another story... I've got the CW2196s in 37L boxes tuned to ~35Hz, plenty of low extension, but due to the EBS alignment, found myself applying plenty of low boost.
And it wasn't too hard to get them to distort (so much for their '90W RMS' rating), even though I'd rarely use them that loud; I think Moondog's correct, I'll need two per side. The good news is that if the Vas stays close to original values, I should be able to shoehorn a pair into 50L cabs - which I just happen to have lying around...

I stopped believing the power handling ages ago, I assume it is based on VC diameter and therefore thermal rating, not at all realistic for a woofer.
My mate used these to rebuild a pair of those awful Dick Smith /Digitor towers used a pair in 60 liters sealed ( he stuffed the port ) and they actually sounded good that way.
From memory he used the original low pass, single coil in series. about 5-> 600???

measured these again today after pounding with electro music since the last post; I'm a knob, forgot to mark each driver so I know which I'm re-testing. Good results, the only parameter top change was Vas, and that downwards by ~ 10%, which means a pair of these will be good as a -3db EBS alignment in 50L, tuned to ~40Hz. I've been using plenty of bass boost on the single drivers, but the increase of sensitivity that two will bring should be about right. they do respond nice & low. Probably need 2nd order xovers.
Guessing which drivers are which, Vas results are: #1 test 1, 31.6L, test 2, 28.91L; #2 test 1, 39.17L, test2, 34.37L

Bought another pair yesterday; I've stuffed up the initial measurements (had a wrong setting in ARTA) - Fs & Vas are similar, but the drivers are higher Q than I stated above.
Measurements for the new pair: Fs 37.11, 37.54; Qt .47 both; Qe .55 both; Qm 3.32, 3.44; Vas 35.31, 35.1.
A Winisd sim or these gives a result pretty close to the published specs, a single driver in 50L tuned to ~35Hz gives best results, box size is crucial though, the low end drops off quickly as box size diminishes. My waffle about EBS above seems to be quite wrong.
Will swap drivers in the test box tonight & re-measure the first pair.

If you look at the compliance scaling article at Rod Elliots site the relationships between the T-S parameters and compliance appear.

If you substitute some of your measurements into them you might well find that what is happening is that the drivers compliance is varying quite a lot.

As pointed out in the article very tightly controlled high spec drivers have a typical twenty percent variation in the compliance, and this is very fortunate because compliance variation is as Neville Thiele stated of no practical consequence.
rcw.

Hi RCW, not quite sure what you're saying, but if Fs is staying constant while Qt & Vas are changing during the break-in, then maybe it's not just compliance variation? Certainly, the changing T/S specs have the practical consequence that sims are showing me I can use a smaller box...
Interesting article BTW, but I think the style may put off a lot here, esp. those with the concentation span of a goldfish (apologies to all goldfish...). How about a 'dumbed down' version for those of us scared off by lots of formulae?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.