japanese speaker plans

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It wouldn't be a hardship... i've yet to rank the new Alpair6s (i feel they will be right up there with my favorite the FF85KeN once i've done my thing with them), but the Fountek (FR88Ex mind you) slots in just below. I've not heard the Wiggins A3 and the (expensive) ScanSpeak 3" are still sitting on my workbench.

dave

I once build the FE83E - CW, They were amazing for their size.
You wouldn't believe the bass they were putting out!!
Very nice for a small room or on the computer desk.

Attachments

• 037 c.jpg
    037 c.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 440
Hello everybody !

I am looking for vintage speaker plans to study and build one in the frame of my studies in electroacoustics. I came across this discussion and saw that several websites were shared but unfortunately all the links are dead...
I know this thread was 10 years ago but if anyone has the links, it would be awesome !!!
Thanks everybody

Hey Cindra ! Thank you very much for your answer ! This website is cool but I was more looking for the one that johnnyfive82 was originally looking for and that 2litre found: (the link in this quote is dead...)

I had the first link, didn't have the second one. Thanks.

How about this one. IIRC it's from Eastern Europe.
ƒXƒs�[ƒJ�[�»�ì

R/

Do you know how to reach it ?

Hello everybody !

I am looking for vintage speaker plans to study and build one in the frame of my studies in electroacoustics. I came across this discussion and saw that several websites were shared but unfortunately all the links are dead...
I know this thread was 10 years ago but if anyone has the links, it would be awesome !!!
Thanks everybody

This link works: T'z Audio Crafts

Hello everybody !

Thanks everybody

Though you could find better designs using modern modelling techniques. Those funky Japanese designs are all technically quite basic, following standard formulas. I mean, the principles are good of course but you can imagine that modern modelling will yield even better results.

Also usually the exact drivers are not available anymore.

An apparently great modern design to build is the Frugel-Horn. Check The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs
The site alao features Ron Clarke’s modern designs, these are also well regarded.
Etc.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Though you could find better designs using modern modelling techniques. Those funky Japanese designs are all technically quite basic, following standard formulas. I mean, the principles are good of course but you can imagine that modern modelling will yield even better results.

Well said.

When i see refs to “Japanese speaker plans” what stands out are the many, many creative designs by Nagaoka who tool Olson’s work to a new level.

These were designed at a time when decent modlers did not exist so were formula, design, build, test, revise.

If one found a design they like taking the folding topology and tweaking it based on modern modeling one could cone up with a better performing loudspeaker.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
swan2.gif

When i was writing the last sentence in mu last post the swan was the box i was thinking of in particular.

These designs are most accessible in the series of volumes of speakers designs. Finding them might be tricky and they command a significant price.

dave

Edit: the link that provided the picture also has links to the books. Only parts of those books have made the web.