• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Japanese OPTs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok,
It's been a couple days, but I highly recommend talking to Bud P. at O'netics. I emailed him just after Ty's post (above) and he got right back to me. After exchanging phone #'s, we talked for over 2 hours (my wife was keeping track...). Highly informative and educational. I'm sold, and he's here in the US .... My next amp will definitely use his OT's, just based on our conversation.
Bill

Take a look at the Bartolucci transformers and chokes!!!
Brilliant look and performance.They are made in Italy and their prices are similar to Tango and Tamura ones.

No offense, the following is more of a general statement than actualy related to those specific transformer manufacturers.
But knowing the italian and the japanese work ethos, I would always choose the japanese product. They have this dedicated "I spend my whole life perfecting my writing of one symbol" kinda thing going in their craftsmanship, that is widely unknown in europe. The italian (master-)craftsmen I know tend to be a little too relaxed about ... well everything. ;)

Being Italian, living in Japan, I sadly agree with you. But I would be curious to try.

Anyway I did not imagine that one component could change the sound so much. And I was not comparing the cheapest with the most expensive. The price difference is not incredible. The beauty of the James is that having 2.5K, 3.5K and 5K you do not have to make a choice in advance. The Hasimoto are only 2.5 k 3.5k.
I am also limited in choice as I have 4 ohm speakers, if you have 8ohm there are many more products.

Davide

Being Italian, living in Japan, I sadly agree with you. But I would be curious to try.

Anyway I did not imagine that one component could change the sound so much. And I was not comparing the cheapest with the most expensive. The price difference is not incredible. The beauty of the James is that having 2.5K, 3.5K and 5K you do not have to make a choice in advance. The Hasimoto are only 2.5 k 3.5k.
I am also limited in choice as I have 4 ohm speakers, if you have 8ohm there are many more products.

Davide
I am convinced,like many others,that the heart of a good tube amp is the output transformers!!I have constructed one of the Audio Note kit amplifiers using Hammond and Bartolucci transformers!!!
The results were too obvious to my ears that I can easily choose which were the best!Note that all Bartolucci transformers are double C core!

I wrote Mr. Bartolucci last week, but no reply.

I have e general question: If my tube is biased at 30 mA in a SE amp what current should I choose as maximum current for OPT ?

I am assembling a 45 SE. I was happy as I could make it small, as they have a small current. Looking at the recommended use of the OPT, I noticed that the 60mA OPT are recommended for 6V6, but not for 45. The manufacturer recommend to use 80-90mA OPT. Why ?

Thanks,

Davide

It would be a fascinating discussion to go over the "work ethic" of variouis countries with regard to makng things like transformers, cars and hifi/amplifiers.

Its a thing that makes me wonder.

I am in the UK and we have lots of cars here.

We are slightly similar to italy, in that we have a small bespoke industry that make fantastic hand built cars.

And have all the japanese, german and other european cars.

without wishing to cause offence, the image of italy is perhaps unreliable cars but with great fashion, verve, spirit, charisma

eg ferrari, bugatti, tremendous class and spirit, but perhaps a little, or used to be, shoddy build, not really the case any more, they are much better.

but still the tech. of a lamborghini or bugatti would scare me considering price I still don't think its as reliable as a toyota corolla or honda civic tho' and at that price,
you have to be a little biased/wary.

germany, we or I, think great engineering, technical, almost robots without emotion, of course they are not, but perhaps a little dour and pure mechanical, opposite to italy.

Now japan and the uk are interesting.

Japan cars mostly are great technology, but in the uk are, mainstream, seen as more dull, not in a technical expert way as germany, but just reliable and dull., even if superbly engineered.
majority an old mans car.

I am trying to also draw a parallel to mainstream hifi, eg pioneer solid state a400 amplifiers and co.

superb, reliable, I like the sound, but doesn't have the charisma or elegant simplicity and interesting sound as a cottage industry, perhaps less reliable english amplifier.

I woiuld love to visit say toyota and see a car being designed from idea to completion to see the design choices they make.

its ditto with hifi, but of course the tamura and hasimoto transformers are more of a ferrari type build than a toyota corolla.

I have great respect tho for all countries philosophies, its great the emphasis is different, italy the charisma, germany the technical excellence, japan the dedication to reliablity.

no offence intended its a great generalization but you must excuse me as I haven't been in the companies and seen the way things are made to the price/quality points involved.

i think its fascniating tho'.

I love transformers and whilst I agree they are as much if not a bigger part as a coupling cap, I tried many and am fairly happy with even a cheap hammond, perhpas a justification that I cannot afford a tamura, but I really didn't think my amp was poor as a result, I am not convinced its worth the extra expenditure for $800 for a transformer, the "best" I had was a silk and an electraprint and the silk was good, but I was quite happy with the cheap ones.

Perhaps if I had a hashimoto I couldn't go back.

remember there is great snobbery tho with transformers, its upto the person really if its worth it. I am biased against silver as audionotes aggressive marketing philosphy I find offensive
and profiteering without proof

Last edited:
Herr Grau,
"add Tamura to the list and propably scratch James - they make nice transformers, but it's not the same ballpark as Hashimoto or Tamura."

A Chinese friend of mine recently visited the James factory in Taiwan, and he watched transformers coming down the assembly line, with a worker applying the brand lable. He saw James and Tamura lables being applied alternately to the SAME transformers!

Many manufacturers buy in stuff from OEM manufacturers - this is an example at the high end.

Regards, Allen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.