• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Japanese OPTs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone has experience with the silk transformers ?

I could experience that the sound of James is very different from the Hashimoto.
From one point of view I am tempted to stay with hasimoto. What puzzle me is that their 7 W 5K transformer is not recommended for 45 having a max current of 65 mA.

According to their recommendations I would end up buying a 20 W transformer for an amp that can do 1W, 2 if I stick the 2a3 inside. My is also a general question: when a transformer is rated 50mA, is this the max bias current or the peak current ?
Silk rates the average and max current.

Thanks,

Davide

I could experience that the sound of James is very different from the Hashimoto.

Can explain better ?

65ma max I thinks is ok , jacmusic for lundhal suggestion to use tight current max 10% more ie for bias 50ma use the one with 60ma max ...
The same core gapped for more current have low ind ie poor bass .
Big core have not so good hight extension.... is always a compromise
looking the weight of tamura-tango is lower then james

Ask Bud (Onetics) or Pieter(tribute) We are lucky in this forum....

Last edited:
Any input on the Silk transformers ? They will make a custom made power transformer for very reasonable price, and I am tempted to take the complete set from them.

D.

I've got some Silk OPT's for my next build (Musical Machine). I haven't had a chance to listen to them, there are still sitting in their box and probably will be for a few more months, but the build quality looks great and I bought them based on very high recs from lots of people. Poindexter, creator the Musical Machine, says they are his favorite OPT's for this amp.

And, they look great.

Sorry I don't have first hand listening experience (yet) but I will soon!

I have no opinion, as I use Lundahl traffos, but Herb Reichart, the designer of the "Flesh & Blood" 300B SE amp said TANGO were the best OPTs, no questions.

At least the 'no question' part is surely wrong. There are other people who swear by Hashimoto. Or Tamura for that matter (Sakuma e.g.). Or AE Europe. Or Tribute. Or O/Netics. Or Menno van der Veen's Amplimo or Plitron constructs. Or Lundahl. Or or or.
My amp still has a little noise problem, but the sound itself is exeptional. I can now recommend ONetics without doubts. But I'll still propably try Lundahl and Hashimoto some day. I'm curious.
But I think you can't get an objective answer to the question how all these transformers 'rank', since very few people will have heard them with the same amplifier and their oppinion will still be subjective. You have no choice but to try it yourself ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.