Jantzen JA8008 alternatives

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

academia50, QMS by itself doesn't affect how crossover works, only total QTS which is the same. The only reason new driver "won't work" with old crossover is minor differences in impedance and frequency response which will result in larger peaks/dips in crossover region making it less optimal. For non-T35 DTQWT at least. I believe i can make it work with my T35 variant, maybe with additional LCR circuit

Accordingly it would seem that it is important to take into account the factor QMS, I do not think it's as simple as you say ....

" So Qts is just a product of Qms and Qes and an understanding of what they are is important when designing a loudspeaker system. Qts, Vas and fs are all that is needed to determine the box size, but when you get to a very advanced stage of designing, its parameters like Qes and Qms which become the foundation of what you do. "

Page Title

P.S. if you don't want to replace your JA8008 then don't, what's the problem?

I see no problem either, it's just an exchange of technical opinions.

Accordingly it would seem that it is important to take into account the factor QMS, I do not think it's as simple as you say ....
Well, i don't "think" - i say because i know what i know. If you have different point of view and experience - please provide arguments. The quote you posted doesn't tell anything.
I see no problem either, it's just an exchange of technical opinions.
You argue about basic stuff, it's not really technical. If you don't understand what Qts is and how it's formed by Qes and Qms then please read/learn. If you don't know - ask questions, but don't argue without facts please.

Last edited:
Alexander :

You these very confused friend, tries to put good will, click on the link, the event is part of everything you do not understand, but want to appear ..... full read it, it is technical and basic ...:smash:
And I give you advice, do not put more books to cover the burden of the horn, that's a big change in the parameters that were intended by the designer. If you know so much, why not design your own speaker? Look, do yourself and me a favor, let alone answer.
Good luck and greetings friend!

Seas H566 does what you want.
I can't seem to find such driver... Does it have a normal name like ER18RNX etc.?
You these very confused friend, tries to put good will, click on the link, the event is part of everything you do not understand, but want to appear ..... full read it, it is technical and basic ...:smash:
I read the link and i don't see how it contradict with what i told earlier. Please stop accusing people without VALID TECHNICAL arguments and keep your judgements about others to yourself, especially when you can't even argue properly.
And I give you advice, do not put more books to cover the burden of the horn, that's a big change in the parameters that were intended by the designer.
You mass load-DTQWT anyway by adjusting height of the feet. The opening under the speaker is you port area. I just took it further and increased loading closer to ML-TQWT standards and also provided measurements of the results. So based on what theory or knowledge you advice me it is incorrect?
P.S. And i do make my own speakers.

Last edited:
A tweeter for Dayton Audio PM220-8 or Visaton B200

I'd like to resume this interesting thread because, as somebody said..... I have a dream! And the dream is to build Troels' DTQWTin one of his last version. The problem is that my budget is less than half than the necessary one so I'm looking for cheaper alternatives for both JA8008 mid-woofer and SEAS T35C002 tweeter.
I'd have found two possible alternatives for JA8008, they're:
1) Dayton Audio PM220-8 mid-bass driver;
2) Visaton B200 full-range driver. Some I've read about this driver, as if properly BSC treated and if tweaked with a phase plug it could be used without tweeter.

Both seems to have high efficiency and quite the same Fs of JA8008, not the same low Qts but for a horn application I think it couldn't be a problem. It can't be said they're really cheap gears but I couldn't find any 'better'..!
So if in your opinion these gears could bu substitute JA8008, it may be enough to find a good matching tweeter, even cheaper, and the dream is achieved.
Any suggestion about tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.