It helps to select best class power amplifier (AB- 40-50 watts)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I found C2 (the 150pf) could be safely omitted but I would still advise as a generalisation to keep it. It's a low pass filter and will ensure absolute stability and kill any RF that might find its way into the amp... things that depend on individual circumstances.

Alexs' PCB looks brilliant to me although there is one error if you look at the "top 2N5401". The base and emitter are joined :)

I'm hopefully going to index the original thread (the first post) to link to the important points on the build.

Mooly, C8 (0.1 uF) is an electrolytic condensador?

Attachments

• duda.jpeg
    duda.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 216
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 0.22 ohm in series to the speaker does two things. It isolates the amplifier to some extent from the speaker and its interconnecting cable. If you've ever placed an oscilloscope directly across the wires to the speaker (at the amplifier end and with the wires totally disconnected from the amp) you might be surprised at the hash and noise that's picked up. The other thing it does is to raise the damping factor of the amplifier. That's more of a subjective thing and you can try anything from 0.1 to 0.47 ohms on audition to see if you can detect a difference and what you prefer. There's no right and wrong.

BOM for Mooly Amp.

Mooly, i have updated the schema and bill of materials.

If errors are not found, i will begin the design of the pcb.

PD: I will take as a reference design Alex.

The Text file, when downloaded, got garbled and all formatting lost. Hence I made it as a doc file enclosed below. I formatted the lower half to suit my preference.

--gannaji

Attachments

• BOM Mooly PowerAmp.doc
    6.3 KB · Views: 57
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
As a general rule "true" ground planes aren't really appropriate for audio. Your PCB looks OK though but I haven't checked it pad for pad.

Grounding has to be logical and safe. The mains earth must go to the chassis. The high current speaker return has to go back to the PSU. This thread explains it, post #38 but read it all.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...-lin-topology-nfb-tappings-2.html#post1624677

For a protection and switch on delay I used a circuit based on Doug Selfs articles in Electronics World magazine. For a simple switch on delay the relay driver and circuit can be very simple. I can put a simple design together if you want for that :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.