Is this a real TDA1541A?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was considering a Cubietruck but I decided on the reconditioned HP cb1 because of its much higher processing power. It does have a fan but I am hoping that it will not be too loud. There are also quite a few tv boxes/computers using Intel Z3575F or RK3288 chips for high processing power that are fanless and can be hacked for Linux, and are available for reasonable prices from Banggood and other Chinese sellers.

Basically I wasn't sure how much computing power is needed for oversampling on the fly so I went with as much power as I could for the price ($110 US).

Sox definitely looks intimidating to start with but I am scouring the web for info and I have found Dynobot's webpage which is a good start:

https://sites.google.com/site/computeraudioorg/linux-for-audio

He also has a lot of information on optimizing Linux for audio.

MPD can do basic oversampling with a simple change in its config file. Sox though is more complicated but it apparently is among the best for oversampling from what I have read.

Last edited:
Rooooooooooh (no french anymore for him ;) ! )

I'm always asking if they were ? The original datasheet of the non-A shows pin 16&17 as NC, but I never putted an external caps to check, nore my capacimeter could measure so low capacitance if the pins were conducting !

At least to come back on the topic, TDA1541 non-A has its sound I like... very diferent of the A grade with the same value (470 pF to 560 pF Something ?) !

I used to work in the semiconductor industry. When the pin of a chip is labeled NC, there is NO bond wire from the die to the pin for sure. This is because the PCB layout sometimes run a copper trace through a NC pin to make the layout easier, especially for single layer PCBs. However, there may be circuitry on the die that connects to the bonding pads ( on the die ) for testing purposes during wafer probe or for bonding options -bond this pad to ground for it to behave one way or leave it open to behave another way. To check if anything is connected to a IC pin, you can do test by applying a low reverse voltage ( like -1.5V ) through a high value resistor to that pin and measure the current to see if there is a protection diode there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
In the past I used these a lot and they are really good. So good that I sold all my other TDA1541A versions including the various S1 chips en kept the Taiwan chips. Then I got bored with them (20 years the same chip.....) and sold all of them and went on with more modern chips. It is that the human memory is fading so I will compare again with Fluency and ESS DACs (Delta Sigma, yay!) just to either be confused or pleasantly surprised. It is slightly inconvenient that I can't play high res files with TDA1541A but I guess I forgive the chip for that ;)

Hi I was asked by a few of you by PM if I sell the chips but I prefer to build a DAC with them just for old times sake ;) I have asked the manufacturer that bought my lot if he wishes to sell the lot as most of them were apparently not used in new products due to a change to other chips. If he answers I will let you know.

I am using the Analog Metric board which seemed nice at first glance but it has some inconveniences after some examination... When I was trying to design a board for them I suddenly recalled why I stopped using them a while ago. So the Analog Metric board it will be.

I think we are getting off topic but there is no problem yet since jean paul is still with us:)

Not sure what to think of this. Either I am notorious for being off topic or are you referring to my first time in the bin ? Changed my life and feel a better person now :) Since then I try to speak french every day though.

Last edited:
Not sure what to think of this. Either I am notorious for being off topic or are you referring to my first time in the bin ? Changed my life and feel a better person now :) Since then I try to speak french every day though.

Hi, thanks to be a part of this thread cause you share great experience. Expecting your impressions of the TDA1541a revenue on your working table:).
Everyone have a nice New Year's Eve !

Here is the picture:

IMG_2351.jpg