Is this a real TDA1541A?

China in 1996? Don't think so :)... Philips Semi certainly did not have any own plants in China at that time...
What about doing your homework, before posting :D
Five minutes of Googling:
ASMC
The Company was initially incorporated as Philips Semiconductor Corporation of Shanghai, was renamed Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation of Shanghai (ASMC) in 1995, and was re-registered as Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation Limited in 2004.
and:
Shanghai Belling
Shanghai Philips Semiconductor Company was set up in October 1988. It was renamed as Shanghai Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Ltd. (ASMC).

I stand corrected... indeed I didn't account for JV's.

ASMC is front-end (wafer fab, "ASMC operates two wafer fabrication facilities in Shanghai, China: one which manufactures 5-inch and 6-inch wafers and the other 8-inch wafers."), where I believe that the markings on the packaging that you show are back-end processes (assembly and test) since those are the last activities done on a chip.

Despite that I have no better explanation for the 'China' import markings on your packages, so you may be right. Maybe the Shanhai outfit started as a assembly/test plant and was later converted...

Last edited:
What do we know what was going on at Philips back then...
But, interestingly, maybe the letter B in HBH code stands for Beijing (location of NXP, btw) and assembly was done there? According to NXP info you posted:
Line 3
"The first 3 letters contain codes to indicate the diffusion center, the assembly center, and the final-test center of the device. The 4 numbers that follow indicate the assembly date code in the format YYWW".

It might very well be so. I'm just speculating, of course.

More TDA1541A chips

I've just recently come across this most interesting thread. I've a number of these chips, both installed in classic players as well as some I have picked up NOS from a range of sellers. Pictured here are:

1. NOS Taiwanese versions bought from a seller in the US (that sound wonderful)
2. An early version that came in a custom DAC
3. Marantz CD94II chips

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with double crown variants...

Attachments

• Taiwanese TDA1541A.JPG
    Taiwanese TDA1541A.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 603
  • Early TDA1541A.JPG
    Early TDA1541A.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 589
  • 94II chip set.JPG
    94II chip set.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 583
Original Marantz TDA1541 S1

I just bought another old Marantz player.

This has a TDA1541 S1 (not TDA1541A)

This is the second player I have with a selected TDA1541, the other being just "S". (posted previously)

Andy

PS sorry, crap photo

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 495
OK, I hope hope we are still discussing 1541A versions here. As I wrote in another post, I found an odd factory modified player based on a 882/880 combo. The 1541A is marked:
HHH 8714 1Y ... the only reference I could find find was an old post in this thread #21.

"As far as I know, the last developement of the TDA1541A was the TDA1541A version N3X which was never released. A pitty because it was the best one I have seen. Batch number was 7784 with week number 8714. The Philips logo was added about that time and the print style changed. I have TDA1541 with weeknumber 8631 without logo which is without any doubt a Philips part. The logo was added because of copyright issues. Also on the ic masks, a logo was added."

So, this one has the famous 8714 date code. Anything special? It does sound mighty fine (my only criterium). Picture of the chip here: http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~christophe.huygens/882-8801.png
Note also the font of the chip marking is different from usual yet the board is 100% original Philips Hasselt - unchanged soldering.

Thanks - xtof