Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

To me it seems that this refers to what acousticians call spaciousness.
I found this;

Spaciousness​

Subjective quality:
Spaciousness or spatial impression is a term that was introduced in the 1970s to refer to a listener’s feeling of being enveloped in the music. Much research on this concept has occurred in the past three decades, and now two aspects of spaciousness have been identified: Auditory Source Width (ASW) and Listener Envelopment (LE). ASW describes how large and wide the sound source appears to the listener. Listener envelopment, meanwhile, addresses how the listener feels surrounded by the music, rather than listening to it as if through a window.
Objective measure:
Early studies on spaciousness determined that lateral reflections, or those coming from the side, play a large role in its perception. The distinction between ASW and LE is dependent on when those lateral reflections arrive. Early lateral reflections (within 80 ms of the direct sound) seem to affect ASW, while late lateral reflections (after 80 ms of the direct sound) affect LE.
Various objective measures have been suggested for spaciousness, each of which suggests a different mechanism for its perception. Among the first was Lateral Energy Fraction (LF), which is a ratio of sound energy arriving laterally over sound energy arriving from all directions. Interaural Cross-Correlation Coefficient (IACC) was soon introduced; it measures the cross-correlation between the signals that arrive at the two ears of a listener. The more dissimilar the signals, the more spaciousness is perceived. Each of these may be calculated for early reflections or for late reflections, and thus indicate ASW or LE respectively.
More recently, a measure known as Late Lateral Level (GLL) has been introduced for listener envelopment. This measure quantifies the strength of laterally arriving sound energy, similar to the strength factor G for loudness. Research is still ongoing about which objective measure gauges spatial impression the best.

hi l`m makis from greece
does anybody now what type of waveguide have the blumenhofers and if there is something similar on the market
Blunenhorfer uses many different types of horns and "waveguides" in their offerings.
They range between conical, multiple section conical, radial and bi-radial exponential expansion, and elliptical.

Similar designs can be found on the market made by Altec-Lansing, B&C, BMS, DSL, EAW, Electro-voice, Eminence, Eighteen Sound and the rest of the alphabet of manufacturers.

Reactions: 1 users
Theses a mismatch in directivity at 850hz, The waveguide is too small to meet with the 15"... The plane transitions near the edge could be smoother. It looks to be slightly oblate, but it guess it could be a round waveguide. Mbat has much better waveguides in his thread. I wouldn't want to copy the one in this picture.
stacks-image-072e2d5-714x1200.jpg

Its not weird, its acoustics. Any well designed Waveguide will sound good. What a lot of people attribute to "horn sound" can commonly be deduced to bad voicing, as in, the frequency response isn't smooth, or using a horn too close to its cutoff, as in, too close to its fundamental resonance. Either can lead to an unpleasant presentation and more a fault of the designer/user than the waveguide itself. Not to say that that there aren't bad horns/waveguides, its just that these aspects, in the past, have been neglected often enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I see where you're coming from. I guess you need to use what you already know, and discriminate a little when you read things. I mean who really knows where another's experiences come from, or their level of written communication skills?
Definitely hard to tease out the nuance of where our measures, senses, and understanding are and aren't aligned. Trying to mesh those across different humans... tough to achieve live, much less online. Even the most bright, data-driven people, are still far from aligned internally. I could certainly do with keeping that in mind better myself.

Reactions: 1 users
... or using a horn too close to its cutoff, as in, too close to its fundamental resonance.
This is not an issue. "Cutoff" is a fictional idea that doesn't exist in reality - there is no cutoff to a real waveguide. The issue is that all waveguide/horns show very low efficiency at LFs (below "cutoff" if you must) and as such require ever more excursion from the driver, which can cause problems. Hence it is the driver limitations that are the issue and not the waveguide. If the driver can handle the excursion then there is no problem going down lower in frequency. In my systems I go below what one might call the cutoff, but then I have efficiency to burn and so excursion is not an issue.

• Thank You
Reactions: 4 users
@gedlee.... I'd like to find the limitations... so, it is impossible to create a horn with a decay/group delay problem that cannot be fixed by smoothing FR? Is this what's happening here???

As long as all resonation comes from active/passive diaphragm's, and/or helmholtz and quarterwave resonating air columns, group delay and decay will never be an issue to accuracy as long as FR can be smoothed out using filtration???

When you say "system has a smooth FR" do we apply this to before and after EQ or only Before???

I think thats what you are saying? And if so, can you say why this is so? We can see the peaks in GD/Decay at the fundamental of the horn but after FR has been smoothed it seems these errors exist on paper but not perception? Is that correct? Pretty much like THD.... if I am on the right path... how do we explain this from a psychoacoustics standpoint, meaning, why don't we hear these excess group delays and decays? Are they just too small of deviations?

Last edited:
resonation
peaks in GD/Decay
psychoacoustics standpoint
It's all about masking
Re-sonation means re-sound=sound again, so sound-on-sound, the same sound produces another (attenuated?**) sound, i.e. masking
That's not detail, clarity etc. but it's often called smearing of the sound, mudness etc.

attenuated
For a perception standpoint it doesn't matter 'how much' but if it's there of it isn't there, i.e. 0/1 and afterwards if 1>why, what, how, when...

@gedlee.... I'd like to find the limitations... so, it is impossible to create a horn with a decay/group delay problem that cannot be fixed by smoothing FR? Is this what's happening here???

As long as all resonation comes from active/passive diaphragm's, and/or helmholtz and quarterwave resonating air columns, group delay and decay will never be an issue to accuracy as long as FR can be smoothed out using filtration???

When you say "system has a smooth FR" do we apply this to before and after EQ or only Before???

I think thats what you are saying? And if so, can you say why this is so? We can see the peaks in GD/Decay at the fundamental of the horn but after FR has been smoothed it seems these errors exist on paper but not perception? Is that correct? Pretty much like THD.... if I am on the right path... how do we explain this from a psychoacoustics standpoint, meaning, why don't we hear these excess group delays and decays? Are they just too small of deviations?
Hello Camplo

Maybe I am looking at things to simplistically and if I am please correct. The finished system is what counts. all the individual driver IMP phase GD all gets lost in the mix. Just look at the system GD curve and it will follow the FR. What was going on to the horn before changes with integration.

Rob :)

Attachments

• Improvements in Monitor Loudspeaker Systems_Page_13.jpg
    Improvements in Monitor Loudspeaker Systems_Page_13.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 28
I'm not sure, I think @gedlee has some more contemporary thoughts on this, like his position on THD. I did conclude with him that with
the multitude of quality drivers, Decay isn't really a thing to be concerned about. So next up, I am guessing that Helmholtz and quarter-wave resonance, are not detrimental as well.

This is not an issue. "Cutoff" is a fictional idea that doesn't exist in reality
The GD/Decay spike lives here, as it does at all filter knees,
The issue is that all waveguide/horns show very low efficiency at LFs (below "cutoff" if you must) and as such require ever more excursion from the driver, which can cause problems. Hence it is the driver limitations that are the issue and not the waveguide. If the driver can handle the excursion then there is no problem going down lower in frequency.
I really hope I am not taking what you've said out of context. Along with THD many things in sound reproduction has been analyzed to the nth degree, possibly to its detriment. The aberrations in GD/Decay from the speaker itself are not detrimental as they would appear on paper. No where near as important as Frequency Response.
A resonance is an energy storage system, it takes more time to excite it and then more time to release it. The energy always stays constant (radiated + dissipated + stored) throughout given by the energy put in.
Oooh so this is what you were waiting for.... I knew this and knew it again like, a page or two back even... it will not stick.... Its so hard to let go what I thought I knew once, I mean, its not just me, we have others reporting the same erroneous ideas. Even at its very worst, this issues isn't something that can't be fixed with filtering for the ambitious.

I think some misinterpretation of the graphs on my part, leads me astray. This definitely makes the left side of transient peak interesting to compare to the other side.,

The finished system is what counts
yes, I agree. Combine that thought with "A resonance is an energy storage system, it takes more time to excite it and then more time to release it. The energy always stays constant" and consider that the room only makes it less apparent, what the Direct Sound is actually doing... and I guess... what are we/I even going on about???

I'm not sure, I think @gedlee has some more contemporary thoughts on this, like his position on THD. I did conclude with him that with the multitude of quality drivers, Decay isn't really a thing to be concerned about. So next up, I am guessing that Helmholtz and quarter-wave resonance, are not detrimental as well.
Not so fast, these things can be real issues. For example the resonance of a horn caused by reflections at the mouth is a standing wave issue that cannot be corrected globally. One can correct the FR (and hence the GD/Delay) at a specific spatial point, but it cannot be corrected globally. This is why the mouth treatment is critical - far more so than "cutoff".

I really hope I am not taking what you've said out of context. Along with THD many things in sound reproduction has been analyzed to the nth degree, possibly to its detriment. The aberrations in GD/Decay from the speaker itself are not detrimental as they would appear on paper. No where near as important as Frequency Response.
Again, it depends on the underlying cause. If it's "cutoff" GD/Decay, then it is not all that important. If it is standing wave reflections or diffraction effects that cannot be globally EQ'd then they are important.

• Thank You
The room applies its own averaging of sorts
Outside
View attachment 1290016

Inside
View attachment 1290017

Hello Camplo

That is Rev? Why the window scale sizes? 3/10ths of a second outside? I don't know much of anything about it as I have never used it. Can't you scale in? Seems like a really course scale to see what you speakers are doing. Can't you exclude excess group delay? It just looks odd to me looking at CLIO Pocket or CLIO 7.13. When I take out excess phase it's much a much smaller window you can look at. I will post a CLIO measurement that's ungated in room minimum phase. Even going with Normal where excess is included I don't see the extreme swings.
Group Delay 1-6 no gate.jpg

Just looks like quite a bit of "hash/noise" in there? Trying to resolve the differences.

Rob :)

ust looks like quite a bit of "hash/noise" in there? Trying to resolve the differences.
You are going to have to work with me. REW can do excess, I personally can't do it cause I don't know how... I see the trace options available for Min and Excess, but my measurement isn't showing me any traces....
1711307234420.png

I'm not sure what smoothing @bikinpunk used here, if any.... 12,24, and 48 are common though.
1711307569353.png

Isn't your above measurement 1/6 smoothed? If so, thats pretty heavy averaging. If I switch my settings to 1/6th I get this;

1711307444491.png