Is high-end audio just lots of gimmicks and high price tags ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
boyz

we are talkin' here about FiFiEnd - so that means Ford , not Fluffy Honda , please .......

:rofl:

Me? Ya look'n at me? Ya wanna piece of my pick-up???? Which barrel??? :eek:

Fer relax'n I take the fancy one into town..........

'N if someone needs a hand moving from one house trailer to another - well then we use da big'n........... :D:D:D:D

Attachments

• pickup military truck-afghanastan.jpg
    pickup military truck-afghanastan.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 167
  • pickup superchief_det_sdopendr.jpg
    pickup superchief_det_sdopendr.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 157
  • Pickup CTX internationalSUV-7300cxt.gif
    Pickup CTX internationalSUV-7300cxt.gif
    84.4 KB · Views: 158
The better question would be why We as a customers are such a f...ng helpless idots to buy overpriced junk and have to be quided by equally retarded bastards reviewers in order to do so? Why army of blind DIY " experts" follows those retards making clones and congratulating themselves how much money they saved making useless copies? I think the High End is too cheap and pricess should go much ,much higher ;)

Nope. I am have some nitpicking abilities, and I am a skilled BS'er, I would say journeyman class, but I wasn't blessed with golden ears (and so little self respect). Thus I am not qualified to write such words of wisdom.;);):D:D

Peace,

Dave

Golden ears is a state of mind: If you think you have golden ears, then you have them. :D

A couple of Dutch guys who visited the CES and who heard this SILBATONE, WESTERN ELECTRIC, G.I.P.system. Cried when listening to the Bach by Stark that is how wonderful the system worked. These were speakers designed almost a century ago. Some of the smartest people in the world then worked at Western Electric. I'm assuming that because the lacked the "advanced" measuring devices we have nowadays they must have relied on emperical experience and by using their ears.

The Dutch CES tourist are now going to do everything in their power to assemble something similar. From their report I suspect they are in the "industry" and have seen and heard many a "high end" system.

In short they also commented that the current "high end" has not got a clue.

"Kortom; je begrijpt echt niet waar de "high-end" in vredesnaam mee bezig is als je dit hebt gehoord."

I wish I could have been in the room with them.

YouTube - Western Electric / G.I.P. system at CES2011

If they are so good , why all the screaming ...... i can see why they would cry!!!!!

LOL! That's Jeffery on air guitar. Classic!

This is why my system is an Altec A5.

You like the screaming ?

Agreed, As well proper done diy LM1875 amp might sounds as good as Krell with some full range hi eff DIY speakers. But once you need power up Magneplanars LM1875 is out of scope and Magneplanars powered by Krells would be completely different level of sound reproduction.

Agree poor sounding amp on poor sounding speakers would be a better match ..

Has anyone here actually, ever, ever heard examples of high end audio. You know, expensive amps and loudspeakers? You sound to me like country boys who think their Daddy's pickup truck is the greatest vehicle in the world, and everything else is a joke.

As a matter of fact, I have. Some stuff was good, some rather less so.

For example, the Wilson Grand Slamms didn't come close to convincing me they were worth $65K: the sound was there but the music was missing. Meanwhile, a pair of Martin-Logan Sequels brought tears to my eyes on "Little Earthquakes" - and their price was less than a tenth of the Wilson's.

Cost doesn't necessarily point to quality. Ask the experienced wino (hi SY!).

Some of the most expensive amplifiers in the world use technology derived from the 19th Century. It is the same as cars and trains; what is in effect a Victorian technology is still being used today in the 21st Century!, even though there are modern alternatives which provide huge advantages in efficiency and simplification of manufacture.
The most expensive speakers in the world still use what is also a Victorian technology which will be the ultimate limiting factor.
Hi-end audio just tries to squeeze every gram/ounce of performance from an outdated technology; just like cars. Yeah, cars are very efficient and very powerful these days, but the improvement is tiny given the immense cost that has been put into the development. It's the same with audio.

For john curl; everything has a moral issue attached to it in one way or another. I am as guilty as anyone else in that I spend money on things that are pointless or decadent, or frivolous. We could all give much more to Charities than we do at present; although there are some who believe that the very existance of Charites is a symptom of a culture that is severely out of balance.

Why don't we get the very rich to contribute more to charities? Why throw that on to the masses? We can help out in other ways, like a dollar here or there to the local panhandler, so that they can have a 'good time' too, at the end of the day.
By the way, do you know the fuel consumption of a Bugatti at full speed? Look it up (and weep). Let us ban auto racing, excessive travel for business or vacations, flying in exotic foods from other countries, etc. Help us save the planet! '-)

Why don't we get the very rich to contribute more to charities?

I really do not get this fascination with charities. What makes them better at deploying their money than the average person?

Help us save the planet!

Oh save us from people who are self-important enough to believe they're saving the planet. The planet's quite capable of saving itself, which it most certainly will do if we continue our selfish ways...

Ok, less focus on audio decadence, :)

Mi tinks most here are hobbyist tinkering with audio , they don't really listen to audio, it's more the chase for them , this is very obvious when you view their setup, there is no way they would be able to hear the subtle changes that most of these mods would make nor do they care.

Hence their disposition .... If i cant hear it , it does not exist .... :sing:

PS: who deh cap fit , let them wear it ..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.