Is high-end audio just lots of gimmicks and high price tags ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone here actually, ever, ever heard examples of high end audio. You know, expensive amps and loudspeakers? You sound to me like country boys who think their Daddy's pickup truck is the greatest vehicle in the world, and everything else is a joke.

Very good point John!

The whole thread reminds me kiddies tales regarding their second hand japan car outperforms new BMW 7 from a traffic lite :) What is funny thing about it they really believe it is true.

A suitable second hand Subaru Impreza could indeed beat a BMW 7 series, though it depends on the model. The 760s are fastest 0 - 100km/h and would probably win. Standing quarter mile times (rather than acceleration) would be a better way to compare them though, wikipedia doesn't have those figures.

Has anyone here actually, ever, ever heard examples of high end audio. You know, expensive amps and loudspeakers? You sound to me like country boys who think their Daddy's pickup truck is the greatest vehicle in the world, and everything else is a joke.

That is one of the most retarded analogies I have ever heard!

To compare an old pick up to what?
A modern but affordable amp? with all the latest best spec. transistors, with solid design?

Come on, pull the other one!

All things relative, some own a couple of grocery stores and prefer a Panamera, a 645Ci convertible, plus Bang & Olufsen : http://william371.hyves.nl
For $5m and change anyone of you can be my new neighbor, the current one is heading for the south of Portugal.
Maybe he'll toss in his B&O set for free. :clown:

Attachments

• LittleBigHorn1.jpg
    LittleBigHorn1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 149
A suitable second hand Subaru Impreza could indeed beat a BMW 7 series, though it depends on the model. The 760s are fastest 0 - 100km/h and would probably win. Standing quarter mile times (rather than acceleration) would be a better way to compare them though, wikipedia doesn't have those figures.

Agreed, As well proper done diy LM1875 amp might sounds as good as Krell with some full range hi eff DIY speakers. But once you need power up Magneplanars LM1875 is out of scope and Magneplanars powered by Krells would be completely different level of sound reproduction.

BTW I like Subaru opposite engines very much and when renting this is my preferable brand of a car. And they came up with opposite diesels recently, amazing company.

Erin, what is the problem? Are you saying that you don't have pickup trucks where you come from? Come to the USA, we have plenty!
To correct a misunderstanding that several, who obviously have little or no clue about the cost of making an audio product, it costs US a good amount of money, just for the parts and materials used. Yes, there are some cheaper parts that may be used, and they often are, in even MY cheaper designs, and the price savings is passed on to the consumer. After all, we have competitors, and they will underprice us, if we should try to overcharge.
However, when we get to that rarified level of the 'best', OUR costs go up exponentially, and there is nothing that we can do about it. For example, our cases use up a significant amount of the materials budget. I have not found any way around it, if I want to look as good as the next manufacturer's offering, and maintain the shielding performance in the case, itself. This is reality, your opinion may vary.

Last edited:

I have. An ex-boss of mine (still a close friend) has a system that probably cost over $100K retail. I made the mistake once of pointing out that the midrange drivers were the same (Vifa P13WH-00-08) as the ones in the system I had in my office at the time. He replaced the loudspeakers. In the interest of full disclosure I should admit that I did too. I went full range. He went berserk. The monstrosities he bought would be suitable for a cathedral.

His system sounds terrible because he has done nothing about some terrible early reflections and room modes.

In the interest of further disclosure, I should say that I am indeed a country boy who thinks my Daddy's pickup truck was the greatest vehicle in the world. I drive a 2002 Z28 Camaro. The body, interior, and trim are all falling apart already, and I was obliged to replace the torque converter with a properly sized one when the car was new, but oh what a great engine that LS1 is!

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
To refresh the premise -
I thought the point of this discussion wasn't about high end audio per se. This thread started out asking about marketing equipment that demands a high price but is little more voodoo BS rather than actually well engineered equipment that deserves the asking price. Let's face it - high priced voodoo based gear gives legit high priced gear a bad rap.

There absolutely IS high end gear that is worth the asking price and often that is a very high price to pay (relative to average income of the unwashed).

Then there is the gear that is little more than consumer grade electronics repackaged as high end. We have all seen it - some 1st hand and others via the net or magazines.

I think this discussion was going on back when Nero was buying fiddles..........

Hey ZM - nice pick-up truck! Is that a Subaru juz down the street a bit??? My guess is that truck belongs to a plumber or carpenter (see dodad on front right fender) that is in nailing the rich guys 'ol lady while listening to C&W music on the mega $$$$ high end stereo. It is kinda nice to be able to adjust the volume from the bedroom...............:rolleyes:

I'll bet it takes five minutes of fuss'n N cuss'n to get that baby cranked over and go'n down da street!!

Last edited:
Scott Wurcer just took a vacation. Should he also have given it up to give to needy children? I think so!

I do both plenty, time and money. I also have listened to two high end systems owned by reviewers and friends of Harry Pearson. They were both wonderful but totally colored to the sound that that person wanted to the point that music they hated sounded simply too loud. BTW most of the demos I've been to were way too loud to the point of the equipment being strained and in one case destroyed as we watched.

Same with cars I guess, a friend floored his BMW at lunch one day (to impress of course) until the engine threw a rod. Yawn.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.