Irrelevent stuff spilt from Cap selection thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
I would be kidding if we didn't receive reported posts. At least 3 of them. But as I didn't take part in discussion, it's hard for me to come to any conclusion really. Unless I would have to go through the whole thread.;)

From people who actually got pies in their face or just people
who sit by watching without their parents and get scared when
they see people throw pies at each other?

Sure, the noise floor has been pretty high, but just like SY I
think this is a very interesting and important discussion. The
digital stuff is better moved, though, as I suggested (maybe it
has already).

Peter Daniel said:
I would be kidding if we didn't receive reported posts. At least 3 of them. But as I didn't take part in discussion, it's hard for me to come to any conclusion really. Unless I would have to go through the whole thread.;)

I fully understand that you cannot and shouldn't reveal who
file the complaints, but could you give us some idea what
the complaints are about?

Christer said:

It's mostly about one member being consistantly insulting and condecending, who seemingly cannont post without being abusive and another member being in need of some peace and quiet that would give him some time to sober up......

Christer said:

Dunno if you could quite call it a complaint. More like a request. But this is what I sent to Dave with regard to Fred:

<i>Seeing as we have to put up with him because you can't get rid of him, can you at least suspend the rules in his case with regard to other members having to show him any sort of respect whatsoever?</i>

In other words, to exempt being disrespectful of Fred from being a rule violation.

se

Answer: 42.

Thanks for all the fish.

Before Jimmy started yammering that he wanted to get up from nappy-time, I set up a variant of moamp's rig. I didn't get to finish the series of measurements, but I did find that the voltage on the "wrong way" cap seems to vary from cap pair to cap pair, at least for caps of dissimilar value, manufacture, and who-knows-what-else. This for a data set of two samples.;) Hopefully, my wife will have mercy and guard the Wild Child later so I can finish this set of measurements, cry "Hitler," and close out the thread in a blaze of Godwinian glory.

Status Quo

Steve Eddy said:

Dunno if you could quite call it a complaint. More like a request. But this is what I sent to Dave with regard to Fred:

Seeing as we have to put up with him because you can't get rid of him, can you at least suspend the rules in his case with regard to other members having to show him any sort of respect whatsoever?

In other words, to exempt being disrespectful of Fred from being a rule violation.

se

I believe that is about situation at present. Looking at the people I get the most abuse from, I wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe the large group of your supporters feel the same way about me as you do. Once again...... the email is Fdieck7800@aol.com

As for your post on the forum, I'll scap anytime you like.

Attachments

• clockwork.jpg
    clockwork.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 84
Re: Competent software users

Koinichiwa,

ALW said:
First, apologies for going OT again, but...

Take Cooledit, generate a 0dBfs sine wave, attenuate by 96dB, observe resultant 1k signal, and it's level, using the 'analyze' FFT function.

Disable Dither (Options, Settings, Datatab - see attached picture) and voila, attenuate by 96db and you get digital silence....

Attenuate by 90db and you get the usual expected picture. Attenuate by 91db and you get digital silence.

I have included the original 0dbfs Wave File plus screen shots from the settings in a zip archive located in the file area of my Yahoo Group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Thunderstone_audiophile/files/The -96db Dynamic Range of CD myth exploded.zip

Please amuse yourselves, all of you who doubt that you CANNOT encode anything below -90.3dbfs UNLESS you use Dither.

Now look guys, I have been a good sport, but my patience wears MIGHTLY THIN by now. Can you instead instead of insisting black is white please all go and do the darn experiment yourselves properly please?

I have so far indulged all this tomfoolery as I know what the facts are. But after this I will not respond any further, as this has really gone far beyond the pale. I am sorry if you all lack any clues to reality, honest. But if you do not wish to listen to the voice of reason, hey - who am I to argue. Do as you please, for me this topic is finally and permanently booked under QED.

Sayonara

PS, may I suggest to the Moderator to move this little subthread out of the main capacitor thread? That one after all is also really QED's as far as back-2-back 'lytics go but who knows, maybe there is some life left in it yet.

Attachments

• cooledit dither off setting.gif
    cooledit dither off setting.gif
    68.7 KB · Views: 73
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.