Iron Pre Essentials Kits For The DIYA Store - Register Your Interest

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
future smd iteration is having slightly higher sound quality - sense of more .... or simply finer details

at least to my brain that's better

difference being more in realm of personal preferences ............. no reason to change if someone already having aony from first 2 batches

but certainly reason enough to buy again in Store and build it

any proper Greedy Boy'z House is having need to have at least pair of Iron Pre's

:clown:

edit: only even number of Iron Pre's per house is logical .......... 6, 8, 12, 22 ............ :rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
future smd iteration is having slightly higher sound quality - sense of more .... or simply finer details

at least to my brain that's better

difference being more in realm of personal preferences ............. no reason to change if someone already having aony from first 2 batches

but certainly reason enough to buy again in Store and build it

any proper Greedy Boy'z House is having at least pair of Iron Pre's

:clown:
Dan D’Agostino believed in SMD. Amps had lots of detail, that is for sure. But they fried up all the time, needing constant recaps. I have a friend who recaps Krell. He sometimes hates his life. Don’t think he has ever had a papa-amp in, or even a request for a repair.

Luckily my two Pa’s know better :hbeat:

Yup, JFETS in your favorite package, SMD/TO94. Honestly, I can't tell you head to head which pre I would choose, because they are jaw dropping, each one, in my system. Besides that, now I am using different drivers and the break in continues. Maybe 70 hours on the Mark Audio 12PW. I am really wanting to hear what they can do. And lastly, during the break in I am using an entirely different amp combo. It sounds really good and warm, but I am missing the Iron Pre in some ways.
Enough! I'm going downstairs to continue to wire this little baby up!

Joined 2019
Paid Member
And looky, looky what I finally got. I treated myself to a proper chassis. Some people (cough, cough) like to show off their incredible wood working skills while making me ever-so-jealous. :joker:

Seriously... man... that is GORGEOUS!!!

I had to allow one of those 'talians to get me hooked up. Perhaps someday I will learn to build a chassis without completely destroying it... until then... I'll let proper craftsmen handle it for me.

Iron Pre to be moved to its new home soon... I even have it resting on Italian leather while it reacclimates.

IMG_5401.JPG

Probably a better solution for my screen than... this... Not showing current remote receiver b/c that's even more embarrassing. Thankfully, it doesn't affect the sonics.

IMG_5402.JPG
Seriously though. First time I've seen one in person. @Gianluca ... it's bellissimo!

• Thank You
Reactions: 7 users
A little update is needed here, for some real progress has been made. traitors have been discovered among my interconnects, RCA jacks, and even my CD player. Put them all together in a system, and you get confused. You fix one only to find something else. Finally, I think that the kinks are gone and I have an Iron pre to listen to for real. Now, also in the mix was a mis soldered connection on the board. That was an easy fix after Mr. Zen showed me the way.
I will finally have something to sit back and listen to and not be running around switching this and that up.
Funny though, I am still breaking in a set of Mark Audio drivers, so I can only go so far with all of this. Maybe 30 hours left for the drivers. This thread has been a great help.

Reactions: 1 user
No, I didn't wait the full 25-30 hours needed for break in of the drivers. I just had to hear this pre at a little higher volume. Just what I remember, clear and extended. Sound stage like I have rarely heard. So far, I like the bass which was a concern with these drivers. Photo shows temporary set up with out a faceplate. It is operational, but not pretty, and yes, this one is really an 'Iron Pre' !!

Attachments

• P3260001.JPG
    P3260001.JPG
    631.6 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 1 users
One day (last December!) IAIMH asked for volunteers to build the SMD version of the Iron Pre, and I said (screamed), “Pick me!” I think I was supposed to hustle, but I had to acquire transformers and then I had some scope creep and then I messed up the first rear panel and so on. But here it is. It has CineMags, Frank Wilker’s MUSES solution (here and here) and a too-big Antek transformer. Making lemonade out of my ordering lemons is a hallmark of my DIY audio experience.

Building it went really well. I’m pretty sure I screwed something up and had to re-do it, but I’ll be darned if I can remember what it was. Setting the operating voltage, the current and DC offset was straightforward and without issue.

It sounds fantastic, and I'm very happy that I purchased Frank's MUSES setup. Gianluca was, as always, exceedingly accommodating with my half-baked chassis ideas. Big, big thanks to all involved.

Attachments

• IPB1.jpeg
    IPB1.jpeg
    895.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IP3.jpeg
    IP3.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IPB2.jpeg
    IPB2.jpeg
    696.3 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: 9 users