Iron Pre Essentials Kits For The DIYA Store - Register Your Interest

Started checking all resistor values to bom. Looks good to start stuffing!
IMG_9787.jpeg
IMG_9786.jpeg
IMG_9785.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe it's newness.....also this was with XA 252, have not tried older Iron pre with it yet. After listening for while where it is now, I will swap in older Iron pre.

Besides differences of cinemag vs Jenson, there is also the volume pot difference. The older Iron pre has the blue alps, newer version has nicer tkd pot. I plan on putting muse volumn on this

Reactions: 1 user
so, verdict is ?
Speaking of verdicts, I will share a recent experience.

One of my friends owns a very nice sounding, albeit extremely expensive system (I think it costs as much as my house, and I don't live in a shack). He and I have similar tastes in what we consider good stereo sound, but our budgets are not at all similar.

He listened to the Iron Pre and then asked to borrow it for a few days. Later he asked if I would sell it, so I sold it to him for what it cost me to build it, as I had built two of them.

He is loving it, and his > $50k three box preamp is sitting unplugged in the corner.

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Unit one has 10k EIZZ stepped attenuators. Unit 2 has 10k Alps blue pots.

Was the EIZZ a drop-in replacement for the Alps or did you had to modify the front panel somehow?

I cannot find the notch size and position for the EIZZ anywhere (I know it is on the top rather than the side). Nor its rotational angle. The shop I bought it from does not to seem to know it either.