Introduction and project info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Awesome, if i can suggest, dont anodize in black ... try gold or maybe polish all the way - then clear anodizing ... but, gonna be awesome when you finish ....

Choices, choices, choices... :eek: :confused: :Ohno:
I'd really like to be able to see the milling holograms when the finish is applied.

I think champagne anodizing for the body with a high gloss clear anodized front plate...? But then again, i don't know what i really like for this thing! grrrr....

Perhaps like the champagne/gold Iphones?

Here they are: PHOTOGRAPHS!

Today i had the pleasure of using this machine, it's a Haas VM3, my regular machine was occupied so i moved to this one:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Fixed the base plate on the machine bed so the vice can be attached:
DSC_1303.JPG

And there it is, a little more than 30KG of aluminum:
DSC_1305.JPG

On the left and right a jackscrew to eliminate any vibration
DSC_1307.JPG

First setup, facing the top and roughing the corners. Facing was done identical as the front plate, they really match :)
DSC_1309.JPG

DSC_1310.JPG

Milled the outside and roughed the inside:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DSC_1313.JPG

DSC_1314.JPG

DSC_1318.JPG

Finished the sides of the pockets:

DSC_1320.JPG

DSC_1321.JPG

DSC_1324.JPG

Unfortunately i couldn't finish the whole setup, i still need to put some threaded holes and fillets on the edges of the grooves. But asides that it's all finished nicely and i've put a nice subtle chamfer on every edge.

DSC_1327.JPG

DSC_1332.JPG

DSC_1346.JPG

DSC_1347.JPG

DSC_1348.JPG

DSC_1349.JPG

DSC_1352.JPG

DSC_1353.JPG

DSC_1357.JPG

DSC_1360.JPG

DSC_1361.JPG

DSC_1362.JPG

DSC_1364.JPG

DSC_1366.JPG

DSC_1381.JPG

DSC_1384.JPG

DSC_1385.JPG

DSC_1386.JPG

DSC_1389.JPG

DSC_1392.JPG

DSC_1394.JPG

Well, these where the pic's of today..
I'm quite impressed by the result, eventhough i see pretty products every day, this is really something special. Not because i designed it or i made it, but it was made to be eye candy.
But the best is ahead of us, the top side.

Later i'll post some high-res pictures! Thanks for watching, i hope you enjoyed it!

Choices, choices, choices... :eek: :confused: :Ohno:
I'd really like to be able to see the milling holograms when the finish is applied.

I think champagne anodizing for the body with a high gloss clear anodized front plate...? But then again, i don't know what i really like for this thing! grrrr....

Perhaps like the champagne/gold Iphones?

How abut, everything high gloss natural, just faceplate champagne, buttons and pots also natural high gloss

Only thing i will do, and you go different way - i will make separate pocket for transformers and fill them with potting compound ... but is minor thing ...

But you can still make aluminum covers for transformers, fill them with potting compound and screw them on the place upside-down ...

Anyway, what ever choice you made, is gonna be awesome enclosure ...

How abut, everything high gloss natural, just faceplate champagne, buttons and pots also natural high gloss

I'll keep the options in mind.. I think it's easier to make a choice when then whole model of the case is done ;-)

Thanks for the input though!

It took a while today to finally upload the pictures, but here they are.

I started this morning by putting the block in the 4th axis

It barely fit

DSC_1406.JPG

And started milling the backside of the amplifier

DSC_1408.JPG

DSC_1411.JPG

DSC_1412.JPG

Also deburring on the inside, it's a great little tool, safe's me a lot of work :)

Testing if it fits
DSC_1415.JPG

And of course, engraving! Need to have some text every here and there :green:

And i milled the front, this didn't really went as expected. During machining it pushed the block through the brake of the 4th axis.
This made the block rotate slightly, but enough to make the pocket too big.

I put some jackscrews under the vice to prevent this from happening again. Now i've made the pocket a big bigger on purpose to make it straight again.
Of course it's too big for the front to fit nicely. So i'll have to make a new front, this is O.K. because i don't really like the name i put there.

So please don't mind the gap between the case and the front, it will be fixed :eek:

And a few more pictures post machining

Pictures after i switched to a proper camera:

DSC_1056.JPG

Yes, Yes, i know, something's not right there, the bracket of the PCB is in front of the hole for the RCA socket. I'll adjust the bracket later so it'll fit properly....

Yup, indeed, there will be a new front later.
DSC_1068.JPG

DSC_1067.JPG

DSC_1075.JPG

DSC_1076.JPG

DSC_1082.JPG

This bracket is causing the trouble
DSC_1083.JPG

DSC_1049.JPG

Well, that's it for now, i'm pretty happy with the result 8)

Wow, that's amazing! Excellent work. Is it fully functional now? What did the large piece of aluminium cost?

I still need to make the top, with the cool ribs ;)

It was already fully functional, but now the electronics have a new house :)
I need to make a few minor adjustments and a new front and she's ready for anodizing.

Can't wait until i can finally listen to this amp again :)

Materials cost where over €300,- The big block and the tooling plate for the cover alone where already €250,- excluding tax :mad: A bit more expensive than I expected..

I've made a new front this evening (european time :wink:). This one is a bit wider, so it fits properly in the hole of the case that got a bit too big.

I've been playing a bit with the "old" front, a bit of polishing, but i'm not sure what to think of it. I don't think it leaves a nice finish.
But perhaps a bit of light polishing is a good pre-anodizing treatment...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.