Introducing me and my speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a first test setup (raw/not finished at all)
Next days I´ll measure the horn alone. (have been fighting with the usb to RS232 port for 3h hours now and to tired to measure)
To measure the whole speaker with midhorns I´ll have to build a makeshift arrangement with the Midhorns placed on top first.

By now I can´t say much.
It seems to play very detailed, less boomy in the lower frequencies.
Not aggresive at all, very subtle.

But really judging it is hard with just one channel playing the horn, the other still with the old vented enclosures.
I´ll need to wait for the secon horn to make a detailed review.

Last edited:
No measurements, but I did a quick and dirty setup to get the mid horns into place.

This made things a lot better.
Impossible to do a detailed judgement now, but even in this dirty setup it´s really impressive how detailed the midbass plays. No hint of a thug, it seems to be a sophisticated gentleman.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is just quick and dirty. I think I´ll build some slim and maybe slightly curved floorstanding steel rigs for the midbass horns.

First quick and dirty nearfield measurements. No filters, direct wired to amp.

Pretty damn close to hornresponse simulation.

The dip @300Hz is the Eminence driver (same dip with the vented enclosure)
Same for the peak between 1 and 2kHz. (will put an par. EQ on that, but with lowpass 24dB/oct @400Hz it won´t do no harm anyway
Compare datasheet http://www.usspeaker.com/images/omega pro-12a-graph.gif

1/12 smoothing

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1/3 smoothing

cumulative spectral delay

Last edited:
Not much to show actually.
I´m woorking on the second horn, kind of repetitive work.

While the mortar on the second horn dries, I started working on the rigs for the midbasshorns.
I wanted them to "float" a little bit over the floor. Which will give them a little optical "airiness".
(some people say it´s also good for the sound to elevate midbasshorns a few inches, we will see...)
This will be also the basis where the cantilever arm / outrigger for the midhorns will be attached.

Today I made the second backchamber and started to turn those ugly ducklings into swans.
It was a long and dusty road.

16286509040_21a2cfe2eb_c.jpg

Waiting for the second horn to dry (2 more days most likely) and then I´ll start primering and painting everything.

Thank you Paul.

I´m actually painting all the parts.
The horns got half the needed layers of paint. Few more days to go....

In the meantime I finished new racks. (well, one is 2 years old and now got a little brother)
I wanted to fill the space between the quite flashy horns with some low key / plain objects.
Basically two cubes to hide all the ugly electronics and showpresent only the turntable and the tubeamp on floating concrete bases.

But I must admit I love the exhausting "sculptural" (which is a big exaggeration and euphemism, but I can´t find another word for that) working / shaping.
A fellow over at Lenco Heaven said:
"Most of us have a great 3D printer already, it's called a hand."
So true. I should use and train it more often.

I think your use of 'sculptural' is correct and not an exaggeration in the slightest, your work is stunning!
I gave up 'art' (and just about anything else considered 'normal work') when I found making surfboards ticked all the boxes with a single stroke.

Final planing of the 'stringer'...
Memakingsomemagic_zps2bec7ab2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ready for the wet stuff....
[URL=http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/bunnyr2013/media/fromfront_zps22e4ccef.jpg.html]

With very happy owner before first ride.....
[IMG][URL=http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/bunnyr2013/media/withownerMattR_zps5b3b8be7.jpg.html][IMG]https://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y337/bunnyr2013/withownerMattR_zps5b3b8be7.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Wow, beautiful work !

So funny someone jumps in with surfboards and shaping...
I´m a total kook, started surfing just about 6 month ago (Hossegor/france and Algarve/Portugal). But I´m so in love with it and totally addicted.
I´ve always been a child of the ocean, been a swimmer, a lifeguard, a diver and a freediver for as long as I can think.

When I started surfing, the first thing that came to my mind: "Once you have to built your own board."
(I got some experience with building carbon fibre freediving fins and with glass fibre for my speakers)

But the next couple of years it´s all about learning to surf, get to know as much shapes as possible and how they behave in the water.

But my firefox bookmarks are already full of links about shaping and glasing. :D
And when I shaped the cores for the horns I always thought "man, what fun would it be to shape a blank"

Recenetly bought my first board and can´t wait to get back to Hossegor in Spring.
As a landbound guy who started surfing with 35 I´ll never get a decent surfer.
But spending time in the ocean and eventually shape my own boards some time in the future.....that alone sounds like big fun.

Attachments

• bms.jpg
    bms.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
You know MiWi, I still chuckle when I see my forum name....
Sippy = Surfs..... old school slang.

Did you know that all surfboards are classics?
Fresh in the rack or behind the garden shed reef beater. People say Retro / Classic /Flo wave blah blah blah - All modern marketing hype, like HiFi snake oil ;)

The 'Phoenix' is a 7ft 9inch x 21 3/4 inch GUN that has a single fin to enhance cross face speed in larger UK waves, which are less 'steep' due all sorts of geological features on the seabed.
The fin is one of three that I made for that board, it's a 9 3/4 inch tall, wide chord / upright for swell below 3 feet...... the 'big wave' fin looks like the upper half of Tuna fish's tail - dont need lots of fin chord in swell over 10ft.
8 1/2 months work my buddy holds there, he asked and paid for 'The best you'll ever make' - shame he's not got enough 'gravity in his bag' to let her do her thing in big water.
I have, 10 ft-ish in South Fistral..... she's some fish I'll tell ya! (and I wish I could have kept her in some ways)

Your board has a whiff of 'hybrid' about it, must be a thruster - deduced from the swallow tail being quite shallow and the mid rails being quite parallel, should fairly blast across open faces and carry good speed in the cut-back :)

Please don't call yourself a Kook, it's terribly demeaning and if some one calls you it, tell them they were once a Kook and "I'm Learning Dude" and paddle off..... if he's with his buddies HE will be the one in the dog house, not You ;)

I'll pm you my email addy, ask me as many questions as you feel you need to :)

Now, lets get back on topic as I'm sure the non surfers must be board to tears by now.

Nice to find a kindred here.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer.
Lots of good information.

By now my preferred waves are 3-5 feet face. Less is hard to catch for me, more / steeper is hard to get in.
Bigger waves are hard time gettin out with a 56l board, but it´s fun.
In Portugal when I struggled gettin to the lineup I wished I was already good enough to paddle smaller boards.
16163976142_afa19fe843_b.jpg

At least I´m not in fear of bad wipeouts because I know I can hold my breath pretty long from my freediving background.
Have to learn/ work on my big board duckdiving technique in the near future.

My board is a hybrid, yes. (7.2x22.75x3)
It has 5 fin pockts, so it can be a thruster, but I´ll first try to run it as a quad. A lot of big guys recommended it. Won´t be able tod do cutback soons. :) I´m happy to if I manage a a bottom turn from time to time (2x2 weeks surf holiday till now).

Last days weren´t good.....

The last layers of the paintjob were supposed to be white spar varnish.
(1K paint with good UV resistance, not getting yellow)

But the one I bought really made a mess. A lot of bubbles that didn´t burst and flow smooth like it usually does. Thinning the paint didn´t change the problems, I just got a lot of drops in addition. That is not a paintjob, that is just a total mess.
:headbash:

Not to speak of hat the heavy smell, to cold to keep the windows open all time.
It takes forever to get hard. I think it will need at least a week to get really hard underneath (the surface is dry).

If that wasn´t enough I smashed a corner of one horn because I let it hit the ground to hard. :(:headbash:

I was really gettin in a bad mood....
So I decided to make a change in direction.
There is one thing that always helps to get in better mood:
Music !

So I decided to let the paintjob rest till spring (I´ll sand it outside on the balcony in front of the living room when it´s warmer and to the final layers again) and assemble the speakers for some weeks of test listening.

Now the speakers are runnning for one hour and my mood is so much better.
:D:D

I´ll still have to figure out a rig for the midhorns (they are quite heavy).
But first of all I´ll spend some hours listening.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.