Intrest Check: 120w @ 8ohm Tube Buffered LM3875 Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This has become and unfortunate incident, for sure. I would like nothing more than to get this resolved. It has been many months and my interest has wained, I could certainly put the funds to better use.
Rhysh, please provide a detailed response regarding time line and what it is exactly that is going on with the board. I was under the impression that this was a tried, working design when I put up my $$ for one of the boards. In lieu of that perhaps it would be better if you would refund.

I for one would like to see this all work out without everyone loosing interest and wanting their money back. These look like a very promising design that will give great sounding results. And not unlike most audio projects there is always some unforseen troubles. Perhaps there is enough knowledge on the group buy to help figure out what is going wrong with the boards.

I am very good with a soldering iron, I am not so good with design and implementation. That is why I love diyAudio.com so much. There are so many knowledgeable folk willing to share as well as some excellent designs.
I would have hoped that the OP would have asked for some help or posted a GREAT DEAL more about what is going on so that those who know can contribute and those of us who don't can learn from it all. That is definitely not what is going on here. I paid, was told to be patient they are on order and now there is a problem but no updates.
The My Ref Rev C and the Toole reg shunt regulator come to mind as classic examples of group buys, member input and how it's done right. this is why my interest has flagged and I am dissatisfied.

Hi everyone, im very sorry i have not posted in the thread, i had no idea there were replys until people emailed me asking as to why i have not been active in this thread :eek: .

Basicly i found the problem, i had made an error on one of the boards which caused a short circuit due to two traces overlapping.. As i would usually correct the error and order another set, this is not possible as some of you will know, my server crashed and i have had a complete loss of data, including all my projects.

Now its up to each person what they want to do, i can either come out with somthing new based on this design, or i can give out refunds. I do not hold enough in paypal all the time to dish out instant refunds but it is possible.

I understand how long i have took about this, and how annoyed people are but with my server crashing and having no schematics nevermind board layouts makes this very hard to continue on this exact design.

Personally, i am very upset about the amount of time lost with this project, and the amount of money that has been wasted trying to get this thing to work before realising the error, to say that now i have nothing left except a pile of dud boards.

Regards,

Rhys

Since I have already ordered my transformers tube and parts, I am interested to know if it is possible to fix the mistake by cutting one of the traces and putting in a jumper wire somewhere. I know its not pretty but at this point I have more money lost than just the boards and if I can get it to work with a bit of a hack I'm game.

yan6 said:
Since I have already ordered my transformers tube and parts, I am interested to know if it is possible to fix the mistake by cutting one of the traces and putting in a jumper wire somewhere. I know its not pretty but at this point I have more money lost than just the boards and if I can get it to work with a bit of a hack I'm game.

I will give it a go and see where i end up. As you have allready ordered parts, i will do everything to get this working.

Rhysh,
If you have a fix for it then just take a pic and post it and show everyone how to fix it. If they can get it working and it sounds good you could just sell the boards at cost plus shipping and I bet people will still be in for it. You would probably have to start a new thread and maybe post in another forum in addition to this one, but if it works we are all DIYers and perfection is the goal but imperfection in the search for perfection is always a reality. A jumper wire with a cut trace is no big deal at all. Heck, lots of our circuits are all jumper wire.
I wish you luck and hope for your persistence. I know you like to sell boards here and I enjoy people bringing back old designs, coming up with new ones, and selling the boards so we can all have the fun of putting them together. If you give up on this I just about guarantee you wont sell another board on this forum, but persevere and it will just be chalked up to DIY Murphy's Law. Dont sweat it man, just dont give up on these guys or your circuit. The thing must be burnt into your brain by now anyway.
Best of luck
Uriah

Hi Uriah,

Thanks for the understanding :cool: , i will keep trying at getting the amplifier to work correctly with the trace problem, i think i may have a solution cutting a trace and creating a jumper pad with the drill press, i just hate the thought that people have spent their money on somthing thats not working perfectly as it should do!

I will report back before i head off in the morning with updates.

If i dont think its going to play nice, i will scrape up funds to get another set made up asap. Becuase atleast one member has purchased parts, i will keep the BOM 1:1.

This will work at some point!

Thanks for the update rhysh, sorry to here about your server crash, must be frustrating as all hell. (P.S. My mom works as a network admin, advice - backup backup backup!)

And I'm game for trying the "make it work" fix with cut traces or jumpers, or if you do end up getting new boards made I wouldn't mind the wait, I have enough other projects that need finishing still anyway. I'm sure most wouldn't mind as long as we are kept in the know about whats going on.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Rhysh, others,

I appreciate you are about taking up responsibility Rhysh, despite your unluck. Please move this forward soon now; I agree with the previous posts that this is your only option if you want to be taken seriously in your current and future threads.

Probably more have gathered some or all parts for this project.
Would it be an idea to just send out the boards to everyone as quickly as possible? When you would specify here what exactly is the fix, then we might exchange in this thread what is the nicest way to implement the fix. Seeing the board makes this so much easier. This way we can turn a weakness into a strength. This is diy, isn’t it?

Anybody care to comment?

Arjen.

Arjen, I am working hard trying to get this problem sorted, i also allready know people have gathered parts, thats why in a previous post i said i will do whatever it takes to get this amplifier working on the current BOM.

Once i get this thing working i will send out the PCB's, i dont want to waste shipping money now for somthing that may not be fixable, which can be spent sending a replacment.

I will now be fully active in the thread as much as i can, but i have a lot of work going on at the moment, but this project is a priority as i want to listen to it nevermind get it out the way.

I will report back with updates shortly.

Ok. Stick a fork in me, turn me over, I'm done.
I had hoped that after I cranked a bit and others offered encouragement we could get somewhere. I am sorry to see that we have not.
Please refund the $25.85 that I sent to you via PayPal on 12/5/2008, I will eat the fee. I would like to see this in my account within 7 days. This will avoid any further unpleasantness with PayPal.

rhysh said:
You replied "No Problem" I assumed that you would send my refund and not make me wait for it, silly me. Hence my snarky reply.
$28.85 is a lot of $$$ for me. This is my hobby and something that keeps me sane in an insane world. I cannot afford it however with 2 children in college, one going in a year and one in private school; every penny is precious. I am wanting to build another amp and am short almost exactly the amount your refund would provide. I put $$$ aside to build this amp, it is apparently vaporeware, and I want to fill the gap with something else.
rhysh, please, I implore you, refund my money.
Thank you,
Bill

This project is taking a lot more time then i ever expected or planned, i have allready informed various people about my progress via PM.
If there are any questions on the matter please dont hesitate to contact me, i would like to finish off these boards with the care and quality that they deserve. I will report back with updates.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.